Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!!
it's my first post/thread here ... from my linux system... I'm not sure abut it but... is there a possibility that my linux would see rest of my disc which is formated in win xp ntfs system??

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yep, you sure can :thumb: which distro are you using? I know that knoppix and slackware can see my windows partition just fine, with nothing added.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Read yes. Write most likely no.

One workaround to this is to install exploref2s on windows, which allows you to read ext3 partitions on windows. The two reads allow you to copy files to a writable partion and still be able to move it back later.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've installed Mandrake linux 10.1 :) oh and yeah, I just want to 'read' those windows partitions :) don't have to write on them

·
Registered
181 Posts
you pick just the right distro. mandrake is very good for picking up ntfs. mandrake should have pick up your ntfs partion right away.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
kof2k said:
you pick just the right distro. mandrake is very good for picking up ntfs. mandrake should have pick up your ntfs partion right away.
any linux distro using the linux 2.6 kernel can read from NTFS partitions safely. Kernel 2.4 can also, but the NTFS driver it uses is very dangerous

But as Betamax stated, reading of NTFS is supported, but writing is barely supported. Writing very small files to NTFS is supported by the kernel (dunno how small is small, but it's not very big...not even for small text documents).

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool... buy the thing is... I'm totally newbieeeeee to linux, could someone write me intruction step by step what should I do?? Thank you in advance :bow: (also I'd like to ask you guys, which media player is the best or most simmilar to winamp, because I saw some ports of winamp to linux, but as I have written above... I'm a total newbie... :innocent: )

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well it might "just work". It's hard to be specific without knowing the distro.

xmms is essentually a winamp clone. Also take a look at mplayer and vlc.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I got winamp to run in wine before ^^

Probably the best combination of audio/video for a KDE desktop is amarok and kaffeine player.....but in general, mplayer is a good choice for any media file under any desktop

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Mandrake usually sets up mount points your NTFS partitions at install time. Try /mnt/windows. Though, the last time I used Mandrake was almost a year ago. Using Ubuntu 5.04 now which is much nicer in my opinion.

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
Kirby said:
any linux distro using the linux 2.6 kernel can read from NTFS partitions safely. Kernel 2.4 can also, but the NTFS driver it uses is very dangerous

But as Betamax stated, reading of NTFS is supported, but writing is barely supported. Writing very small files to NTFS is supported by the kernel (dunno how small is small, but it's not very big...not even for small text documents).
I'm pretty sure you can write files of any size, but they have to be the same size as the file you are overwriting. There's work in progress on a wrapper for ntfs.sys, but it's just that, a WIP.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
scottlc said:
Mandrake usually sets up mount points your NTFS partitions at install time. Try /mnt/windows. Though, the last time I used Mandrake was almost a year ago. Using Ubuntu 5.04 now which is much nicer in my opinion.
yeah it is there :thumb:

thanks guys :)

·
The Rambler
52 Posts
Best advice I can give is also probably the most vague: be persistant. Doing ordinary things in linux has gotten a LOT easier, but taking the step to linux power-user makes windows look like childsplay. That said - linux has a LOT more to offer. My latest joy has been playing WoW in cedega on linux (running a lightweight window manager and nothing else), and having it run more smoothly than in windows. Go figure.

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
~{SuMgYe}~ said:
Best advice I can give is also probably the most vague: be persistant. Doing ordinary things in linux has gotten a LOT easier, but taking the step to linux power-user makes windows look like childsplay. That said - linux has a LOT more to offer. My latest joy has been playing WoW in cedega on linux (running a lightweight window manager and nothing else), and having it run more smoothly than in windows. Go figure.
heh, power user... it's gonna take me a while, I'll have to get lot of knowlage about linux :) I have it installed for about a couple of days but I begin to love it ;) :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts