Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is relevant to ePSXe but also to other emulators.

I'm dual-booting Windows 7 RC1 and Ubuntu 9.10 RC1 (though I've also tested it in Jaunty) on an Aspire One D150 netbook.

My comments here reflect testing under the latest few versions of both PCSX (incl. "df" and "r") and ePSXe (minus 1.7 for linux, which doesn't exist yet).

I get that Pete's D3D plugin under Windows will outperform the OGL plugin under Windows or Linux. That makes sense. OGL is great, but it ain't DirectX.

What I don't get is why Pete's Software GPU is so much slower in Linux playstation emulators than it is in Windows.

Even pSX (which, I believe, is software-driven, right?) flies on Windows and tops out at 50fps in Linux.

I don't think this is a question of my not configuring Linux correctly. I'm installing the latest stable Xorg drivers from the X Updates repositories. Many other graphically intensive tasks do fine.

But maybe I am doing something wrong?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
hmm i wonder its the fact that both emulators arent native or optimised for linux, or the fact you arent using proper, or manufacturer drivers for your netbook that are optimised for linux.

oh and lastly windows use hardware acceleration like direct draw in software rendering and that lightens the load on the cpu rendering, and not forget the windows emulators take advantage of sse functions in your cpu (i dont know if linux does take advantage of sse).

oh and you hardware for your netbook were made for windows and not linux, like the fact a netbook uses atom cpu which is new and may not have full support in linux...

i can go on and on but these are the basics

·
Registered
70 Posts
does it stay at a constant 50fps in linux? if so it may be set to use your vertical refresh rate which is probably 50hz on linux.

I don't play PS1 games so I don't know if it is the case but it is always a possibility, especially if you playing full screen

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Maybe is a frame limit of the window manager, or compsite manager... or any of those desktop rendering managers...

Play with the settings of that/those thing(s). I remember having to increase the "refresh" of compiz to get an smooth experience.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I get that Pete's D3D plugin under Windows will outperform the OGL plugin under Windows or Linux. That makes sense. OGL is great, but it ain't DirectX.
Wow, thats impossible D:, the opengl plugins are faster all around and emulate things far more accurately.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
From what I've experienced and was told about it, the P.E.Op.S software plug-in is visually broken (pixelated) in Windows Vista/Windows 7 anyway, to the point to where I'd say it's not really an option in those operating systems, so Id say this comparison is mostly moot to be honest.

This could also explain why it's faster maybe, since it's not rendering it as smooth as it normally would. Try comparing it to Windows XP and see if the same thing happens. Either it's faster since it's not working right/as hard, or it's simply slower in Linux. One of the two.

From what I've heard, pSX's software rendering is quicker then P.E.Op.S. is in ePSXe as well. Lower requirements was one thing pSX featured when it first came around.

·
Whistler
133 Posts
the PCSX-df XVideo plugin is much faster than the vanilla peops soft plugin under GNU/Linux if XVideo is supported well by the driver.
the windows version of peops soft plugin uses DirectDraw which is still somewhat 'accelerated'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.