Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here goes. I need a very small, very simple distro. It has to be something install-able (no boot from cd ramdisk stuff), and it needs but the simplest of things:
1. the vi editor (as it is the one we work with at my, uhm, 'workplace')
2. the tc shell, could be along-side bash but needed.
3. perl.

and optional component is broadband\usb support but i dont really need it atm..

the other thing i want to do with it is run it from inside windows, but i guess i could just use VirtualPC for that.

If you have any suggestion on which distro i can use that has these 3 needed packages, please comment. Also, im no first-timer, but if you wanna post more detailed installation instructions i wont stop you, hmm ? ;)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Why not just use Cygwin if you want to run under Windows.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Cygwin doesn't require you to build from source. Just grab the installer and make sure that you enable the packages that you want installed.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I see. Ill give it a try, though ive been using coLinux today (www.colinux.org), which also provides a nice alternative (expect the fact it uses cygwin/x for the x server, but i dont need a GUI currently).

The only problem i have with coLinux is getting tcsh, since im having trouble setting up the network connection in any linux distro.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
If you want it to run under windows, cygwin sounds like your best bet. I think I heard of another distro that worked on a Windows file system, but I don't think it worked while running windows.

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Just did some digging around... does this do what you're looking for?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
coLinux is what i found last week, been working great for my needs. Thanks for the help all too :)

The only thing 'wrong' with it is no tcshell (the shell i need to practice with), and getting the inet to work in there is a tad hard, so its bash for now.. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts