Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im running linux (slackware 10) and have managed to get ePSXe working fine (i guess, it boots the BIOS, lol), but I can't seem to get any games to run. while troubleshooting, i tried mounting the psx cd and found that while it would mount, THERE WAS NOTHING THERE!? anyone kno whats going on?

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
mounting the PSX CD in linux does not show anything for some reason....you need ePSXe to get direct access to the CD drive instead. Make sure ePSXe points to /dev/cdrom in the CD-ROM options

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kirby said:
mounting the PSX CD in linux does not show anything for some reason....you need ePSXe to get direct access to the CD drive instead. Make sure ePSXe points to /dev/cdrom in the CD-ROM options
yes it does point at the correct location.. on another note i did some more looking around for an answer after i posted above and found that my cdrom needs to be able to read RAW data. once i get windows installed (im waiting for all my bittorrent and limewire dl's to finish first :p) ill see if i can get ePSXe working under windows... if not, guess my cd doesnt support reading RAW data. :(

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
ePSXe linux is quite limited because it can't use CD-ROM plugins. In Windows, you can use several reading modes with a CD plugin, one of them is RAW reading, but RAW reading is not required to play from CD

It also might be your kernel configuration. I always used Slackware with a custom 2.6 kernel I compiled....maybe a option I compiled in isn't enabled with the default Slackware kernel....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well im currently using the default 2.4 kernel, so maybe its something the 2.6 kernel supports bu the 2.4 doesnt, or maybe i should compile a custom kernel. but that'll have to wait for all my many many downloads to finish... in like 3 days or something, lol
first ill try compiling a custom 2.4 and see if i can find some option that makes a diff... thanks for your suggestion

·
Registered
21 Posts
FWIW, I'm running Slack 10 with the stock 2.4 kernel and can play from PSX CDs no problem. It isn't necessary to have them mounted. Have you also made sure the /dev/cdrom link is correct? What's the output from epsxe look like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Xian said:
It isn't necessary to have them mounted.
I know that already. :p

Xian said:
Have you also made sure the /dev/cdrom link is correct?
Yes.

Xian said:
What's the output from epsxe look like?
* Running ePSXe emulator version 1.6.0.
* Memory handlers init.
* ePSXe: PSX BIOS loaded [bios/scph1001.bin].
* Init internal cdrom ... CD_Init: open of "/dev/cdrom" failed (13)
CD(0,2,16) read ioctl failed (9)
CD(66,29,59) read ioctl failed (9)
CD(66,29,60) read ioctl failed (9)
* NTSC cdrom detected.
* Init gpu[0][libgpuPeteMesaGL.so.1.0.75]
NVIDIA Corporation
GeForce4 MX 420/AGP/SSE2
* Open gpu[0]
* Init spu[0][libspuPeopsOSS.so.1.0.9]
* Open spu[0]
CD(0,2,16) read ioctl failed (9)
CD(0,2,0) read ioctl failed (9)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well now. i just looked over my last post and got an idea. i checked /dev/hdd permissions.. :( yah im stupid. lol. works fine. thanks xian, it was your post that got me to figure it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts