Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we know there is plenty of linux desktop environment to choose when using linux. Major environment that frequently linux user used is Gnome and KDE. I would go for KDE because of it 'fully customizable' desktop. Sometime I think that KDE had a weakness and that lead me to ask bout opinion on linux desktop environment. I've tried searching pages that show comparison between desktop environment but failed to get one. What desktop environment did you used? and state why would you go for for that desktop environment.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,484 Posts
gnome, becasue of its simpler and cleaner interface (and for not being a win gui wanna be :p)

Also, if you miss many of the fancy features from KDE (Karamba related), you can always resort to gdesklets :)

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
On my file server, it doesnt have GNOME or KDE so I use IceWM-ROX. IceWM is really cool. However, I like KDE best.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Proto said:
gnome, becasue of its simpler and cleaner interface (and for not being a win gui wanna be :p)

Also, if you miss many of the fancy features from KDE (Karamba related), you can always resort to gdesklets :)
Its not just a fancy stuff, I also miss the apps too. Anyway, no one does not mentioned bout XFCE here. I started to love that environment even Im still not using it by now. Does this environment is cool anyway?

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
For the most part, you use Gnome if you notice a delay on startup, or KDE if you don't. Personally, I don't notice the startup (takes less than 5 seconds), so I use KDE. However, you may want to note that KDE will intermittently crash on the kicker program on shutdown. Doesn't really effect anything, but you will see that a crash occurred just before you shut down occasionally (The KDE team is well aware of this bug and have decided to fix it in their next version, rather than patching the current version).

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use KDE now, but for a long time I used Fluxbox.

I'll probably go back to fluxbox when I have time to configure it again/

I never liked GNOME, as it was a real pain in the neck for me to deal with (too many things in GNOME's registry had to be tweaked to get GNOME to behave the way I wanted it to

KDE has it's drawbacks too though, my biggest gripe is that it doesn't display GTK apps properly, the fonts are really tiny. Plus, both KDE and GNOME eat memory. But they're both better than Windows.

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
For full-screen performance (games) there is no difference between KDE and gnome - they both step back and let X take over. Windows works the same way with Direct-X, though there are no other windowing environments that will ever attempt to use direct-x. As far as gui performance, well, the more eye-candy you throw in (KDE), the lower your performance... and on the other hand, if you have a fast machine, you may not even notice the difference. If you have a particularly slow machine, I'd suggest avoiding both and use IceWM - it's hard to get any lighter than that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.