AXp Barton 2.2ghz
1gig Dual Channel 333mhz Ram
Geforce4 Ti 4200 128meg

Debian Linux
MEPIS distrobution
Nvidia-GLX is loaded
nvidia-kernel-2.6.7 is also loaded

Now for the problem:

the epsxe binary file does open and load. Originally, everything came up, but the CD-rom config file continued to point to the BIOS file.

I finally deleted the folder, then re-created the folder.

Now the CD-rom config file points to the CD-rom, but whenever I attempt to open the video or sound configuration boxes, epxse terminates.

I tried editing the .epsxerc file to point to the plugins from the original install, and then attempt to load a disc, ISO, or anything.

No dice. Even with direct pointing to the files, epxse crashes whenever any load is attempted or the video or sound configs are attempted to be accessed.

So I'm at a loss on what to do to fix this problem.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
just checking but do you have an epsxe/cfg directory, and did you copy the plugin config files there?. IIIRC it'll bork otherwise

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay... gonna see if I can better explain this. After the last post, I logged into /root and completely deleted all files relating to epsxe. then I restarted the computer.

I used ark to extract the epxse files to /home/(username)/epsxe
I cleaned out all of the "delete me" files from the folders.

I put cfgPeteXGL2, gpuPeteXGL2.cfg, cfgPeopsOSS, and spuPeopsOSS.cfg into the /cfg folder

I put libgpuPeteXGL2.so.2.0.6 and libspuPeopsOSS.so.1.0.9 into the /plugins folder

I open up the binary for epxse and it loads. The configuration files for the video and audio both work fine.

The CD rom points to /dev/cdrom

I "should" be good to go.

I go up and do "Run CD" from epsxe. The Xserver portion kicks in and the screen changes size and the window loads much like I'm used to in windows. Immediatly epsxe crashes. No application, no nothing is open. I can use the KDE display controls to return the screen to it's normal state.

At the same time the CD-R drive spins up. I change the CD-rom to point to /dev/cdrom1 and the DVD drive spins up when requested to load a cd.

Whenever I try to load the bios (and yes I have both SCPH1000.BIN and SCPH1001.BIN) from epsxe the program performs in a similar manner. The manner is also repeated when attempting to load an ISO file.

As best I can figure there has to be a graphics error or something. How, exactly, would I go about tracking down where the error is occuring at?

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Try using MesaGL instead of XGL2. In Windows if you don't have the OGL2 plugin configured just right, it won't work with a geForce 4 Ti; it might be the same in Linux.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well I'd work on a series of diagnostic tests

1 bios doesn't boot : Therefore not a cd/iso problem.
2. Disable sound use a software plugin. Try the bios now. Does it work?
2a. If no it's probably a borked bios image replace and goto 2
2b. If yes goto 3
3. Try enabling sound again. Does the bios still work?
3a. If no something wrong with the sound plugin. Check that sound is supported properly in linux and make sure the spu is configured correctly
3b. If yes only problem remaining is 3d gpu's. Check that opengl is really working. and try and try a less intensive gpu/ settings like n_w95482 has mentioned.

·
Registered
8 Posts
run epsxe from a console if not done already and watch the output. it tells you what plugins are loaded. most times you see what crashes as the first plugin not mentioned there obviously killed the app.

as you use fullscreen i bet the graphic modules kills you. i would not use fullscreen unless you are desperate in need of it. never had much luck with it. so i always play 800x600 window mode and it works without problems. doesn't also force you to manually switch back the Xserver ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LordofDragons : how would I start epsxe from a console?

Betamax : these are the same BIOS files I used to load epsxe on a Windows computer, so I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the bios files.

Anyways, I did as you suggested. I disabled full screen and went back to windowed. I disabled the sound plugin and loaded epsxe up.

Confirmed that sound was disabled by the config box. Hit "run bios"

This time the bios actually loaded and the screen started, but epsxe promptly crashed.

I do know that OGL is /really/ working since I'm running Doom3, Quake3, UT, Ut2k3, UT2k3, and Enemy Territory off this computer.

n_w95482 : how would I go about changing that setting?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alight:

I've downloaded the mesa driver, and tried that with the sound driver disabled. Same thing. Open, window, crash.

I also took the bios files and tried opening them under epxse Windows. Both files (1000 and 1001) opened without a hitch.

So it looks like I'm going to have to run this from the console to track it down. And I can't find those commands in any of the readme's here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
for the console just do this.

fire up any console. if you are in KDE this should be Kconsole or kconsole (look in the run menu to find it). once in the console cd to the place where epsxe is installed, thus something like cd ~/epsxe. then run epsxe by issuing ./epsxe. then use it like always to produce the error. if you don't see the error post what epsxe printed out (select text = copy, in the case you don't know).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
* Running ePSXe emulator version 1.6.0.
* Memory handlers init.
* ePSXe: PSX BIOS loaded [/home/Saist/epsxe/bios/SCPH1000.BIN].
* Init gpu[0][libgpuPeteMesaGL.so.1.0.75]
NVIDIA Corporation
GeForce4 Ti 4200/AGP/SSE/3DNOW!
* Open gpu[0]
plugins/libspuPeopsOSS.so.1.0.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

then it kicks back to the prompt. Same thing when suid to root.

So... it's a read problem... Anyideas?

btw, for those who read this, the reason why I'm doing this can be found here:

http://www.mepislovers.com/guide/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oookay... I'm stupid. I just tried it with the sound plugin. duh.

I tried again with the original driver (3d)

* Running ePSXe emulator version 1.6.0.
* Memory handlers init.
* ePSXe: PSX BIOS loaded [/home/Saist/epsxe/bios/SCPH1001.BIN].
* Init gpu[0][libgpuPeteXGL2.so.2.0.6]
Error: couldn't get fbconfig
Segmentation fault

So I need to use the mesa driver. Thanks yall.

http://www.mepislovers.com/guide/Thanks-NGEMU.html

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok. your graphic plugin is works with the Mesa one, keep it. with the XGL one it looks like you do not have DRI activated. do the following in a console:
glxinfo | grep direct
'|' is the pipe symbol. locate it on your keyboard.
if you've got DRI (which i think you've not) you should get
direct rendering: Yes
obviously, if not 'No'. if this is the case you need to install the NVIDIA kernel module (you should find it in the package manager) and you need to reconfigurate your x-server using whatever configuration app your distro offers you.
the problem here is that the XGL module want's 'fbconfig' which is the frame-buffer config app. this usually has nothing lost on a DRI accelerated system and you don't have it though (it is missing like the log states). the app looks for it as most probably you have 'framebuffer' instead of 'nvidia' driver in use for your x-server and the app looks for it, not finding it, crashing it (Segmentation fault).

another problem i noticed.
plugins/libspuPeopsOSS.so.1.0.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
most probably you are missing OSS sound support (ALSA right?). do the following to see what is missing:
ldd plugins/libspuPeopsOSS.so.1.0.9
this gives you a list of libraries. if there is somewhere '??' you've lost. in this case post it please so i can tell you what you are missing.

EDIT: noticed you said you can play doom3 and all that so you have DRI activated. so you can skip the step mentioned there. stick to the Mesa one for the moment and it's slow we try to fix the other plugin.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I had a feeling the MesaGL plugin would work well :). I don't know much about Linux (I've only used Knoppix twice and the Fedora Core 2 installer :p) so I can't help out with any technical problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, that's the whole point of writing the guides page.

Most of the non apt-get guides will also work under other flavors of *nix.

So I try to cap every single step that I take and any potential problems so that others can go behind me and have a relatively trouble free time getting the program to run.

Now, what I don't understand is why the plugins that are open sourced for the game pads don't appear to have instructions to compile with DirectX. Kinda bugs me that Zsnes recogs a USB gamepad device and epsxe does not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts