Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a download of LinuxMint 6 running on my PC since this morning and it's almost done. I intend to run it from my USB drive the right way this time. ^_^;;

However, I know nothing about ubuntu or Linux, I'm hoping it won't be that hard to learn the basics. It can't be all convoluted crap or people wouldn't use it. Knowing that, though. Why am I booting a Linux OS and not something else via USB? Well, curiosity for one. I've never used any other OS besides Windows and learning is fun. I'm just wanting to know if anyone else here uses Linux that might be able to give me some introductory pointers.

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts
If youre mobile, you might wish to keep a floppy or minicd with a copy of the bootloader in it, in case you end up trying to boot mint in a computer that cant boot from usb (the ubuntu documentation should be sufficiently straightforward concerning that).
(SuperGRUBdisk can do the trick too, but isnt sufficiently streamlined for common usage other than for recovery cases).

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Linux is wonderful, a gift from god, heaven if you'd like.
But, mainly if you RTFM ("read the *****ing manual") as they say.

What it means is that you can do virtually anything with linux, solve whatever issue and make it do close to anything and run in close to any way you'd like - if you read up on the subject at hand. read, try, read some more and learn. basically. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
You shouldn't need to know much about ubuntu or linux if it's ubuntu based. There are packages on their repository for almost everything you'd like to use. As long as your ethernet card or modem are supported by linux most things should be easy enough to set up.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've had success doing a few things on it so far. The only problem I seem to have with it is user and administrative privileges. For some reason, it won't let me access my Hard Drives or my USB drive for any indexing, read or write. Other than that I can do most any common task that I normally would do, surf the net, make documents and that sort of thing.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
I've had success doing a few things on it so far. The only problem I seem to have with it is user and administrative privileges. For some reason, it won't let me access my Hard Drives or my USB drive for any indexing, read or write. Other than that I can do most any common task that I normally would do, surf the net, make documents and that sort of thing.
Where have you mounted the drive on which you have your /home (where your desktop resides - if that is where you have been making your documents), since creating a document means writing-privileges.
And, in which way are you trying to access your hardrives - in most linux-systems you are only allowed to touch files inside your user-space (home directory) while the other needs either your root password, or your user pass if that user belongs to the admin/root group (which is most common in ubuntu-based distrubitions such a mint) :)

Nice choice of dist by the way - i hear mint linux is a less bloated version of ubuntu :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts