Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an existing Linksys router and it has worked well for years.

I have decided it is time to add an additional wireless Linksys router or Access Point to my existing Linksys router.

At the Linksys homepage there are several wireless router listed. It was simplier a few years ago when Linksys had only one router to choose from.

I'm going to use the wireless for gaming and downloading purposes.

Any suggestions?

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Only reason I could think of is extended range (1 at each side of the house). I'm not 100% positive how well they would cooperate, but it should be theoretically possible (as long as they operate on separate channels and your devices know which one they should use).

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
...Ok, now I'm confused.

You want a wireless router to share your internet connection - good, that's common.

You want a wireless router for your wireless connection... now I'm confused. oO If you're not dealing with range issues, couldn't you just use your wireless router on the internet connection and not buy another?

·
General of Tangerines
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KillerShots said:
...Ok, now I'm confused.

You want a wireless router to share your internet connection - good, that's common.

You want a wireless router for your wireless connection... now I'm confused. oO If you're not dealing with range issues, couldn't you just use your wireless router on the internet connection and not buy another?
I already have a linksys router that is not wireless.

The wireless router is not a replacement for the current linksys router that I have. The wireless router will be an addon.

I plan to keep my current linksys router for internet connection. Connect the wireless router though the uplink port on my current linksys router. Turn off the DCHP function in the wireless router so it doesn't conflict with the DCHP with my current linksys router.

Does this clear things up?

·
War Games coder
1,927 Posts
Ah, then you just want to use it as a hub, not a router. I do the same, though my server acts as the router. Yeah, make sure you disable DHCP, all routing services, and give it a static IP somewhere on your network (I made mine 10.4.12.254... I have a rather full class A myself).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.