Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have to say what a great project!!! Its all pretty full on stuff; I am glad that the PCSX2 team know about all that programmin code, Anyone seen the source files,,, full on.

Anyway.. I wanna learn more about this stuff, and maybe contribute/commentate/test :) from the edges. Its quite full on searching for research stuff of the PS2, r5900, patching, .pffing etc...

-----------SO IF YA FIND A GOOD LINK THAT HELPS YOU LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS STUFF, POST HERE -----------

Well, i found a real good tutorial on Assembly language of the MIPS R2000 processor, which is "kinda" similar to r5900 assembly language you see when running PCSX2's debugger (I think i am correct).

Its a university course, ground up, they take ya thru, binary notation, hexadecimal, octel, base nuber sets, eg BASE 3, shifting bits, adding bits, minusing bits, twos complement, registers ......... then starts you writing basic assembler language etc whichs you run on an emmulator. I presume this would be good knowledge when trying to make patches/understand what the prog is doin.

I reckon it would give you a good "beginners" graspe of the debugger after a day of studying (up to chapter 12) then maybe a week to work through the more full on stuff from chapter 12 to Chapter 36

Again, its based round the MIPS R2000 Assembly, but i think it is relevant (any comments?)

Programmed Introduction to MIPS Assembly Language: (online, free, no reg. req.)

http://chortle.ccsu.edu/AssemblyTutorial/TutorialContents.html

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
theres a lot of good info at ps2dev.org on how stuff works. of course, they are more geared towards dev on the ps2 platform, but the fundamentals are the same..

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Yeah, most programming information can be used in making an emu. You just have to sort of 'reverse' it :p.

·
B( o Y o )BS!
895 Posts
The MIPS32 and MIPS64 architectures are public. You can go to the mips website ( www.mips.com ), register and view/download the docs. There was also a document of an architecture similar to the ps2, based on a mips r5900 too, you should be able to find the thread in this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts