Next Generation Emulation banner

1001 - 1019 of 1036 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all sorry for my question, I am new to emulator world, but I really wanted to play again my favourite PSX game "Legend of Legaia" with almost perfect configuration.

Could anyone tell me what is the best configuration (plugin/shader) for this game?

I'm trying many configirations and with this with PeteOpenGL2 Tweaks 2.4 https://prnt.sc/ksvz83 the game graphic is not bad but the text is a bit pixelated.

Shader I use is SimoneT AA shader v1.0 or Edge AA.

Is there a better configuration I can try for plugin and shader?

My pc spec:
i5 3570
Nvidia GTX 970
16Gb Ram

Thanks

·
Seasoned ePSXe User
635 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. RL is a biatch. Anyways try this shader suite https://github.com/Asmodean-/PsxFX . It is actually a collection of shaders compiled into one single uber "shader" to be used in emu's like Epsxe. I personally use the FXAA shader which has Bilateral Sampling and xBRlv2 Sampling (This should take care of pixelated text.) integrated into the FXAA shader itself. It has tons of other shaders and options to try out and experiment with as well. It also is easy to configure through thoroughly explained and documented options that are configurable through the use of your run-of-the-mill text editors like notepad, wordpad and ect......... Have fun.

·
Registered
415 Posts
This and some other talk reminded me there are few nice working crt shaders ported to OGL2, so i'm adding two more. Crt Easymode was well accepted on the scene. It uses aperture mask, a nice change to the well established phosphor version. A variant of it adds some glow, but the speed might be a bit slower on poor gpu's.

Attachments

·
Seasoned ePSXe User
635 Posts
@cloudbill do these work on x64 architectures?
Am asking because the name suggests that they are custom from Pete.
Rationale is due to this video:
One would assume PSXFX would work on the 64 bit build for Epsxe as long as the gfx card, the gfx plug-in and the OS is able to understand HLSL and execute the shaders themselves. I personally have no experience with Linux so I am simply taking a guess. I guess you could always try them yourself and see. Sorry I wasn't of much help.

·
Developer of ePSXe64Ubuntu script.
29 Posts
One would assume PSXFX would work on the 64 bit build for Epsxe as long as the gfx card, the gfx plug-in and the OS is able to understand HLSL and execute the shaders themselves. I personally have no experience with Linux so I am simply taking a guess. I guess you could always try them yourself and see. Sorry I wasn't of much help.
Indeed, I'll test!
If they work, I'll add them as a complete bundle, in the meantime, I referenced your initial comment.
Thanks.

·
Seasoned ePSXe User
635 Posts
I have a question for the shader authors who are still active. Is there any way a pixel shader could perform a type of (Edited: Was post-processing instead of pre-processing, which was a mistake.) pre-processing texture filtering or is that strictly up to the render itself?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
I have a question for the shader authors who are still active. Is there any way a pixel shader could perform a type of post-processing texture filtering or is that strictly up to the render itself?
I thought thats what many of them do.....

for example.. the manga toon filter has stuff like this IN it :
vec3 c0 = toon(texture2D(tex0, gl_TexCoord[0].xy).rgb);
looks like it is affecting the textures to me

·
Registered
415 Posts
It could be done in theory, similar to what Tapeq's tweaks/hacks are doing. Going the official way it would mean the plugin source should be altered.

I find this interesting that with PPSSPP there are efforts to scale/enhance textures with pixel shader/gpu compute, but there seems to be some issues present. Even with Dolphin(Ishiiruka) Hyllian ported his shader to "cpu format" instead of doing gpu processing. Cpu is the easy way to go for the present.

Another good question is what effect is to be used.

·
Seasoned ePSXe User
635 Posts
It could be done in theory, similar to what Tapeq's tweaks/hacks are doing. Going the official way it would mean the plugin source should be altered.

I find this interesting that with PPSSPP there are efforts to scale/enhance textures with pixel shader/gpu compute, but there seems to be some issues present. Even with Dolphin(Ishiiruka) Hyllian ported his shader to "cpu format" instead of doing gpu processing. Cpu is the easy way to go for the present.

Another good question is what effect is to be used.
Personally, I would like something similar to the xBR lv2 Sampling. Since Tapeq's scaler already uses an xBR scaler to do that during renderer processing I would guess it would be just as easy if not easier to use the xBR lv 2 Sampling shader to do it if it is possible to begin with. I'm no shader author but a simple dirty end-user so I'm just taking a guess on what little information I possess.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i just use epsxe and i use 2 different shader on epsxe
1st shader.png
2nd shader.png

the 1st shader is AA & xBR Acc 2D+3D FXAA+NTSC TV and the 2nd shader is SimoneT mixed 3D - 2D games + TV colors emulation Shader v 1.9

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hello!
What's the best shader to use with this plugin (or the tweaked version) if I want quality like this (or better) for 2D stuff:
dx6-filter2.png dx6-filter.png ?
This is what I get with Pete's DX6 plugin, nothing near this with ogl2

With OGL2 I get this no matter what I do, with the various options changing very little, if anything:
1552248378947.png 1552248422401.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I'm trying to use the "AA & xBR Acc. Autoscale 2D + 3D shader" from guest.r in Valkyrie Profile, and whenever sprites/NPCs/PC are turned to the right, there is no filtering applied. When they turn left, however, they are filtered.

It was the same with the other versions of xBR 2D + 3D I tried as well. I have also tried changing the texture filtering in the render, and it changed how the sprites where presented a bit, but I did not find anything that fixed this issue. Anyway, thank you for the work you all have done so far :).

Note: ePSXe 2.05, Pete's OPGL Driver 2.9 (works better for me than either core).

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hello there!

It's a known situation with the 2D detecting pattern. I tried some advanced combos, but some sprites are unevenly distributed on the detection grid in some situations like facing right/left etc.. A good compromise in this situation is to set texture filtering to level 4, where the 2D elements (picked up only by level 2 filtering) will be xBR processed.

I checked the 2D/3D shaders with a Retroarch PSX setup and same story happens with a completely different emulator/plugin. I know solving this would make the 2D/3D shaders almost a perfect choice, but it's far from trivial.

1001 - 1019 of 1036 Posts