Next Generation Emulation banner
641 - 660 of 1,036 Posts
Hi, this is a PoC of the shader I'm working to filter 2D elements and let 3D untouched. So it's good to use with High Internal Resolution.

I chose ePSXe to release first because it render pixels perfectly square.

Inside this shader there's a var called XBR_RES and its default value is 3.0. You can tweak it between 1.0 and 5.0 (maybe it can go upper), though I can't see the results for it bigger than 3.0, as my notebook has a resolution of 1366x768, so it only can upscale by 3x max on psx games. I tested it with Resident Evil games and they worked very well!!

It's a xbr level 1 only, because I couldn't figure out how to make lv2 work this way. I think it will take time... So, some stairs won't be totally linearized.
I'd like impressions. If you can run it at resolutions bigger than 3x native psx res, please try changing XBR_RES param accordingly.
Could this shader 3D be theoretically done on CPU for texture upscaling and could you make Super xBR? Also is standalone 3D shader possible for purely 3D games?

Could this shader 3D be theoretically done on CPU for texture upscaling and could you make Super xBR? Also is standalone 3D shader possible for purely 3D games?
I can't see any benefit on texture upscaling. There's no need of this, you just apply xbr on texture, no need to filter 3D elements.

I think you didn't understand what this shader is doing. It gets an image as input and doesn't filter any high res regions of the image. It only filter low res regions of the same image. So, when you run ePSXe using High Internal Resolution, all 3D elements are rendered in High Res, thus the shader won't filter them.

So, I don't understand why you want to use it for purely 3D games.

BTW, this shader is very heavy, and can slowdown your games too much. You need a very powerful gpu to run it real time. And there aren't many games that benefit from this. I only found Resident Evil games to benefit from this.

I can't see any benefit on texture upscaling. There's no need of this, you just apply xbr on texture, no need to filter 3D elements.

I think you didn't understand what this shader is doing. It gets an image as input and doesn't filter any high res regions of the image. It only filter low res regions of the same image. So, when you run ePSXe using High Internal Resolution, all 3D elements are rendered in High Res, thus the shader won't filter them.

So, I don't understand why you want to use it for purely 3D games.

BTW, this shader is very heavy, and can slowdown your games too much. You need a very powerful gpu to run it real time. And there aren't many games that benefit from this. I only found Resident Evil games to benefit from this.
So basically this shader is a xBR mask on 3D objects? It should help all games with pre-rendered backgrounds, PS1 had a lot of rpgs like this also also games with mixed 2d/3d.

So basically this shader is a xBR mask on 3D objects? It should help all games with pre-rendered backgrounds, PS1 had a lot of rpgs like this also also games with mixed 2d/3d.
Yes. The only problem is that it depends on the pixels positions to work properly. If pixels aren't perfectly square and regularly positioned, the shader can't filter right. It seems few games are emulated that way. I don't know if it's because of inaccuracy of emulators or because they were intended that way. I'm researching this yet and don't have an answer to this.

As can be seen in those snaps, some textures aren't filtered. That's because they're behind some dynamic effects (fire) on screen.
You should try it with Chrono Cross because it has a big dichotomy between high resolution 3D characters and low resolution pre-rendeed backgrounds at high resolutions. Can Super xBR+3D be made?

I took some screenshots with Chrono Cross, and despite one issue, the results were fantastic. For this test I set your plugin to maximum and turned off XBR in OGL2Tweak.

First the one issue, if you look at image 7 there is a weird "box" texture around every square couple inches or so. Hard to see in the screenshot, but very noticeable in motion. That being said, this particular area uses some purposely corrupted textures for effect, so I tried some of my other saves (images 8, 9 and 10).

When I loaded up any other area in the game the texture corruption was gone, and the game looked amazing.

Finally, for comparison sake I tried my current shader, AA+Bump+NV HQ, set at Medium, XBRZ set to 2 in OGL2Tweak. (Image 11).

When I compared 8(your shader) and 11 (my current shader) I was surprised how much better the new setting looked. This is my new goto shader for this game. Thank you!

EDIT: Forgot to upload image 11, fixed.
EDIT 2: Clarified some things.

Attachments

Hyllian,

Wasn't incompatible at all. Re-reading my last post, I'm realizing I wasn't very clear. The "boxing" issue I mentioned only occurred in that one section of the game that purposely uses corrupt textures (image 7). It just happened to be where I had saved last. When I loaded up any other area of the game, the issue was gone, and your plugin looked fantastic. I'll edit my original post for clarity.

That being said, next time I run Chrono Cross I'll try setting filtering to 0.

This is a really great shader, smoothing 2D while keeping 3D sharp. The other AA shaders blurry the entire screen, it's not a desired effect for 3D textures.

I had no performance loss on my rig using ResHack 8x12. Great work!
It's good to see it can run at 60fps on powerful rigs! :)

BTW, I just ported my latest xBR shader from Retroarch to ePSXe. It is intended for 2D games and shouldn't be used with high internal res, so my config recommended for it is this:

It's very optimized and runs at 60 fps even on my slow PC! :)

Attachments

Using the latest xBR from the post above, I''ve managed to insert the 3D code from the old one (the slower one) and now it runs at 60fps on my humble PC!! It's running perfectly on games with 2D with 3D elements!

You can get it attached! You need to increase Internal Resolution (I use number 2) to see the effects!

Now I think it's the full fledged version!

I use this config to test this shader:

Attachments

641 - 660 of 1,036 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.