Next Generation Emulation banner
601 - 620 of 1,036 Posts
Some times ago someone ask for a Plugin to remove the black bars (top and bottom) from "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" and fix the aspectratio for widescreenmodes like 1920x1080.
Unfortunately, I found no satisfactory answer.

This should can doe a shader.
The Vertex can scale/rotate the plane where the game is render.
I have fiddled i bit with the vertex and the bars are gone...

(this shader have no filters yet , the xBRZ-filtering is done by OGL2twek2.0)

Shader: off (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
Technology Night Screenshot

The Shader have 4 states :
Shaderlevel: 1 (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
Remove the black bars and set the SotN's real 5:4 aspectratio. (maybe a relict of the old Castlevania engine from NES)
Screenshot

Shaderlevel: 2 (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
Remove the black bars and set 4:3 aspectratio.
No Picture.. (it's only a bit more streched at the width)

Shaderlevel: 3 (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
only remove the black bars and let the output full streched.
Mode of transport Biome Font Technology Screenshot

Shaderlevel: 4 (OGL2 Strechingmode :1 (Scale to windowsize, keep aspect ratio))
same as in Shaderlevel 1.
Don't use OGL2 Strechingmode :0 , it will overstrech the output width!

This is only a template .
It should be possible to combine this (or one of the options) with other filters.

Attachments

Reactions: Monater
Some times ago someone ask for a Plugin to remove the black bars (top and bottom) from "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" and fix the aspectratio for widescreenmodes like 1920x1080.
Unfortunately, I found no satisfactory answer.

This should can doe a shader.
The Vertex can scale/rotate the plane where the game is render.
I have fiddled i bit with the vertex and the bars are gone...

(this shader have no filters yet , the xBRZ-filtering is done by OGL2twek2.0)

Shader: off (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
View attachment 180537

The Shader have 4 states :
Shaderlevel: 1 (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
Remove the black bars and set the SotN's real 5:4 aspectratio. (maybe a relict of the old Castlevania engine from NES)
View attachment 180545
Shaderlevel: 2 (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
Remove the black bars and set 4:3 aspectratio.
No Picture.. (it's only a bit more streched at the width)

Shaderlevel: 3 (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
only remove the black bars and let the output full streched.
View attachment 180553

Shaderlevel: 4 (OGL2 Strechingmode :1 (Scale to windowsize, keep aspect ratio))
same as in Shaderlevel 1.
Don't use OGL2 Strechingmode :0 , it will overstrech the output width!

This is only a template .
It should be possible to combine this (or one of the options) with other filters.
Could you combine it with xBR, Natural Vision and AA 4.0?

Could you combine it with xBR, Natural Vision and AA 4.0?
This shaders already using all 4 shader levels.
So at the moment only one of the options is possible (at the Moment***) . which option is most important to you?

***There are more then 4 shaderlvels possible, ( if they set directly by changing the registryvalue "HKCU\Software\Vision Thing\PSEmu Pro\GPU\PeteOpenGL2\ShaderLevel").
Only the interface of Pete OGL2 reduce them down to 4!

For most Users fiddling with the registry is no option (a Noob can doe so very stupid things by using Regedit).

I can as well write a small interface to securely setup an higher shaderlevel than 4 , but not the next Days...
...therefore...meanwhile choose one of the options...

Reactions: cloudbill
So at the moment only one of the options is possible (at the Moment***) . which option is most important to you?

***There are more then 4 shaderlvels possible, ( if they set directly by changing the registryvalue "HKCU\Software\Vision Thing\PSEmu Pro\GPU\PeteOpenGL2\ShaderLevel").

For most Users fiddling with the registry is no option (a Noob can doe so very stupid things).

I can as well write a small interface to securely setup the shaderlevel , but not the next Days...
...therefore...meanwhile choose one of the options...
I will wait.

I had no idea about this registry entry. Nice little fact. Although my key is "HKCU\Software\Vision Thing\PSEmu Pro\GPU\PeteOpenGL2\FSShaderLevel" . I assume that's what you meant or it is the same thing. It's nice to know that shader levels can be increased. I assume if you modify the key to a value over 4 it will work but it will not reflect the value in PetesOpenGL2 interface. I have no use for it right now but it's nice to know.

Thanks Erzesel

... Although my key is "HKCU\Software\Vision Thing\PSEmu Pro\GPU\PeteOpenGL2\FSShaderLevel" . I assume that's what you meant or it is the same thing.
sorry ...
My mistake....
Ive only copied and pasted the keynames from my little temporary batch file.
and so i've touched an variable name instead the right registry value name.
right ... the correct value is "HKCU \ Software \ Vision Thing \ PSEmu Pro \ GPU \ Pete OpenGL2 \ FSShaderLevel"

That happens if there hundred of other thing dancing at the brain....
I assume if you modify the key to a value over 4 it will work but it will not reflect the value in PetesOpenGL2 interface
right
if you touch the SL at the ingame interface (or run the OGL2setup) all will back to 1..4 :confused:
(after this you must set the higher lvl with the "interface")
to test it:
my little Quick and Dirty interface (only for test use)

Run "set shaderlevel.cmd" (it only ask in a infinite loop for new shaderlevels)
keep it open...
Run ePSXe + OGL2 (setup normal with the Shader from zip) +a game.

To change the shader close the Gamewindow with ESC , enter a new shaderlevel into the "interface".
choose continue at ePSXe...
(max 4472 is possible. Don't know what let the GPU crash at 4473 and above... pete must have done very ugly tricks in the code of the plugin..?:eek: as such number out of any bad binary context will crash)
Technology Electronic device

the included testshader have 1..7 as possible levels...
(level 1..4 same as the "sotn.." , lvl 5..7 rotating the view)

Attachments

Thank you very much, all i need to do know is figure out how to make the 2D surfaces look sharper and less pixely...
You can't really make the 2D surfaces look sharper and less pixelated at the same time. You can either sharpen the 2D surfaces with a shader like lumasharpen that adjusts contrast levels according to edge-detection, which will increase the pixely look or you can use a anti-aliasing type shader to blur the edges to make the 2D look smoother. You can try using both but if you are too aggressive with the sharpening it will partially or even completely negate the AA effect.

In essence all your doing is stretching out the lines in the 2D backgrounds or sprites when you increase resolution.

Reactions: Walker411
You can't really make the 2D surfaces look sharper and less pixelated at the same time. You can either sharpen the 2D surfaces with a shader like lumasharpen that adjusts contrast levels according to edge-detection, which will increase the pixely look or you can use a anti-aliasing type shader to blur the edges to make the 2D look smoother. You can try using both but if you are too aggressive with the sharpening it will partially or even completely negate the AA effect.

In essence all your doing is stretching out the lines in the 2D backgrounds or sprites when you increase resolution.
Is there a way I can keep the 3D image looking solid but blur the 2D edges as you said?
BTW I'm currently using a windowed display with res 1280x900, dont know if that helps...

Is there a way I can keep the 3D image looking solid but blur the 2D edges as you said?
BTW I'm currently using a windowed display with res 1280x900, dont know if that helps...
What do you mean by "keep the 3D image looking solid"?

Whenever using a post-processing shader, like any of the shaders for this plug-in, the effect you choose happens to everything on your screen. The analogy I use all the time is that it's like throwing a sheer curtain over your screen. Post processing shaders work the same way. Whatever you do to 2D images you will do to 3D models and vice versa. There is no known way to mitigate this. It is one of the drawbacks that we all, who use Pete'sOpenGL2, have to live with. It's still better than not having the use of post-processing shaders to begin with though.

Hey Monater. You really got me there.:) I've been neglecting the cartoon shader development for a while, that's true. Sort off thought MMj's cell shader is doing a nice job and became lazy about it. But i have a WiP cartoon shader. It works well with 3D games, can get tweaked (need some feedback on that) and might work wonderful with new xBRZ texture enhancements, but i still think it's better looking on games with some 3D. Have a try...

EDIT: upgraded the shader (edge detection with shader level)
Noticed no one thanked you for this. Not trying to be high and mighty about it, I'm sure people were grateful nonetheless. Regardless, wanted to say thanks for this shader.

I used epsxe a few years ago, but never used shaders, I just used the OpenGL plugin. Now I am getting back to epsxe and I am just now learning about the shaders.

I have a very strange problem with the Storybook shaders. Each time I use one of them, the logo from Pete Bernert's website is shown in the background. Please see the attached picture when playing Chrono Cross (still at start screen).

What could possibly cause such a thing? Some incompatibility? My PC's graphical card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 320M and the CPU is an Intel Core i5 M520 @ 2.4 GHz.

I used epsxe a few years ago, but never used shaders, I just used the OpenGL plugin. Now I am getting back to epsxe and I am just now learning about the shaders.

I have a very strange problem with the Storybook shaders. Each time I use one of them, the logo from Pete Bernert's website is shown in the background. Please see the attached picture when playing Chrono Cross (still at start screen).

What could possibly cause such a thing? Some incompabilility? My PC's graphical card is a Nvidia GeForce GT 320M and the CPU is an Intel Core i5 M520 @ 2.4 GHz.
Well that's a new one to me. What is the exact name of the Storybook shader you are using and if possible, where did you get the shader from?

Well that's a new one to me. What is the exact name of the Storybook shader you are using and if possible, where did you get the shader from?
I did get the same shader from some different packs I found online. However, the one from the picture above is the "Colored Storybook Shader", I got from Monater's #611 post just above. It is under the directory PS1 and PS2 shader collection5\Storybook Shaders inside the pack file.

I get the same background problem with all Storybook Shaders. Cartoon shaders work fine and this is really puzzling me.

I did get the same shader from some different packs I found online. However, the one from the picture above is the "Colored Storybook Shader", I got from Monater's #611 post just above. It is under the directory PS1 and PS2 shader collection5\Storybook Shaders inside the pack file.

I get the same background problem with all Storybook Shaders. Cartoon shaders work fine and this is really puzzling me.
I just tried the shader with Chrono Cross (NTSC) and I am not getting any imposed image. First lets make sure we both are using the same exact shader. Please download and use the following shader; http://www.mediafire.com/download/fzxtbp63guq4txz/ColoredStorybook_shader.zip
.Make sure to set the shader level to 4 and let me know if you still get Pete's symbol imposed on the image. After that well go from there.

601 - 620 of 1,036 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.