Next Generation Emulation banner

Links and Guides to Custom Shaders for Pete's OpenGL2 plugin

876K views 1K replies 255 participants last post by  Trentem 
I don't think xbr is good for 3D games. I developed it for 2D games. If you apply it in a 3D still, it'll create lots of artifacts. On The other hand, I'm amazed by how AA 4.0 shader works very well with 3D games when internal resolution is 2x or 4x the native res.
I know it's primarily for 2D games but GC and Wii have some 2D games too.

Hello RamzaGIT!
I added simple scanlines to the already ported NatAA shader. I think it should work since it was a modest modification.
It replaces the original nataa shader though.
Hello guest do you plan to release AA 5.o in a future? I think it would also be great if you could update your cel-shading shaders too, especially incredible Storybook/Colored Storybook shaders.

Hi Monater, it's a good question about the AA 5.o shader. Since theese types of shaders try to do 2D and 3D AA at the same time it's hard to find a good compromise. I have some ideas but theese are rather to fit specific situations and games and the differences are really minor.

About the cell shader, there i have some ideas also but the PS1 environment makes them shine sometimes and they look bad the other time. There's lot of tweaking involved which is a bit hard for most users.

In general, everyone is welcome to contribute their work or modifiy exsisting shaders so i think i might also wait and see if anything nice happens here. Hope it will. :)
I see but could you try to port FXAA 3.11 to Pete's spec? I know we already have FXAA shaders for it but they are based on some old blurry console versions of it.

Wow, this game brings nice memories.:) I tested my early shaders with it, like the forgotten SuperSaL.
Some shaders made sense then because Ati cards didn't manage the VeryHigh-X resulution. But different times now, with lotta shader power. I've also managed do write a 10FPS shader which looks like Super xBR but i'll wait a bit with it's release.:D
With you mentioning Lunar and some other remarks about colors i re-tweaked the 5xBR shaders with colors and smoothing (also added the 'c' version) and think they do a preety good job at sprite games. They represent the middle ground between smooth 2xBR+DDT and sharp 5xBR 3.7. It also depends if you play windowed or in fullscreen. It's worth to mention that color values are editable and that these shader work best at shader level 3 or 4.
And a happy time...
I wonder if we could get some updated or new cel shader or storybook shader. Perhaps a cel shader from DolphinFX could be ported to Pete? It has better edge detecton than toon shaders available for PS1 plugins.

Hey Monater. You really got me there.:) I've been neglecting the cartoon shader development for a while, that's true. Sort off thought MMj's cell shader is doing a nice job and became lazy about it. But i have a WiP cartoon shader. It works well with 3D games, can get tweaked (need some feedback on that) and might work wonderful with new xBRZ texture enhancements, but i still think it's better looking on games with some 3D. Have a try...

EDIT: upgraded the shader (edge detection with shader level)
Pretty nice but I wonder if we also will get some new crazy storybook shader like these.

Wow, this game brings nice memories.:) I tested my early shaders with it, like the forgotten SuperSaL.
Some shaders made sense then because Ati cards didn't manage the VeryHigh-X resulution. But different times now, with lotta shader power. I've also managed do write a 10FPS shader which looks like Super xBR but i'll wait a bit with it's release.:D
With you mentioning Lunar and some other remarks about colors i re-tweaked the 5xBR shaders with colors and smoothing (also added the 'c' version) and think they do a preety good job at sprite games. They represent the middle ground between smooth 2xBR+DDT and sharp 5xBR 3.7. It also depends if you play windowed or in fullscreen. It's worth to mention that color values are editable and that these shader work best at shader level 3 or 4.
And a happy time...
Could we perhaps receive a prototype version of that Super xBR-like shader for testing?
Is cel shader with paper effect such as this possible. Also antialiased cel shading. http://prideout.net/blog/?p=22 https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Resources/Showcases/Stylized/PostProcessing/index.html
I'd like to see some new Sketch shader too since they can look more interesting than normal cel shaders. I''ll send you links.

[
Boxer120,

The sharpness and textures in Chrono Cross look amazing using your (and Guest's) AA+Bump Map+ Natural V8 shader. I'm not such a fan of the color changes, though.

Is it possible to remove the color filtering and keep the rest of this shader (Maybe AA+Bump Map only?).

Maybe there's already something like this out there.

Regardless, thanks for all your incredible work on tweaking these shaders.
I would like to see AA+Bump Map+Cartoon/Cel shader or +Storybook/Sketch shader.

Some times ago someone ask for a Plugin to remove the black bars (top and bottom) from "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night" and fix the aspectratio for widescreenmodes like 1920x1080.
Unfortunately, I found no satisfactory answer.

This should can doe a shader.
The Vertex can scale/rotate the plane where the game is render.
I have fiddled i bit with the vertex and the bars are gone...

(this shader have no filters yet , the xBRZ-filtering is done by OGL2twek2.0)

Shader: off (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
View attachment 180537

The Shader have 4 states :
Shaderlevel: 1 (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
Remove the black bars and set the SotN's real 5:4 aspectratio. (maybe a relict of the old Castlevania engine from NES)
View attachment 180545
Shaderlevel: 2 (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
Remove the black bars and set 4:3 aspectratio.
No Picture.. (it's only a bit more streched at the width)

Shaderlevel: 3 (OGL2 Streching Mode = 0 (Stretch to full windowsize)
only remove the black bars and let the output full streched.
View attachment 180553

Shaderlevel: 4 (OGL2 Strechingmode :1 (Scale to windowsize, keep aspect ratio))
same as in Shaderlevel 1.
Don't use OGL2 Strechingmode :0 , it will overstrech the output width!

This is only a template .
It should be possible to combine this (or one of the options) with other filters.
Could you combine it with xBR, Natural Vision and AA 4.0?

This shaders already using all 4 shader levels.
So at the moment only one of the options is possible (at the Moment***) . which option is most important to you?

***There are more then 4 shaderlvels possible, ( if they set directly by changing the registryvalue "HKCU\Software\Vision Thing\PSEmu Pro\GPU\PeteOpenGL2\ShaderLevel").
Only the interface of Pete OGL2 reduce them down to 4!

For most Users fiddling with the registry is no option (a Noob can doe so very stupid things).

I can as well write a small interface to securely setup the shaderlevel , but not the next Days...
...therefore...meanwhile choose one of the options...
I will wait.

I know there is highpass bloom in psxfx and bumpmap bloom shader but I wonder if we could get some new standalone bloom shader that could potentially be later combined with other shaders?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.