Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have started playing Pokemon FireRed on VBA but wished to link the game to another in order to trade Pokemon. I quickly found out this was not possible with the original VBA but is possible with VBA Link. Unfortunately, when I try to load my VBA saves in VBA Link the game immediately freezes on the first frame of the save with the colours all purple.

I have read "solutions" to this in a few locations, but most are rather unhelpful, certainly not very well-explained. Could someone explain to me, in reasonable detail, how I can fix this problem please?

· Banned
35,081 Posts
quite trying to load save states.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only started using VBA yesterday, I'm not familiar with the different ways to save/load. If I'm doing it the wrong way could you tell me the right way please? I've tried saving by going to File and Save (which I believe gives me a .sgm file) and saving in game (which I believe gives me a .sav file). VBA Link isn't giving me the option to load .sav files or .sa1 (which I tried changing it to according to suggestions in other places). If I save in game and load the rom using VBA I can load in game too, although I can't do this with VBA Link.

I hope the information helps. I'm not stupid by any means, but none of the explanations I've read so far have offered much help, so you might need to answer like I'm a total idiot (but helpfully :p).

· Registered
38 Posts
Click File -> Import -> battery file. This is used to import actual saves made through the IN-GAME save feature, not save states ( .sav or .sa1 files). It should not matter which extension it is, VBA will read the file either way. This will only work on Pokemon games if the save is both created and loaded under the "Flash 128k" save settings (otherwise you will get the "M1 circuit board not installed" error).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.