Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really usefull slowing down your cdrom speed? Well, today i used Petes Cdrom Plugin without Limiting and chose the new Async mode.Then in the middle of the game it froze and i took it out and it was HOT!!! Will limiting Cdrom speed help my problem?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
limiting cdrom drive speed is not supported by all drives!
if it heats up your cd like that it will be harmful, dont do it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I didnt enable Cd limiting and it got hot, but it didnt before untill i tried the new async mode....

S

·
0 Posts
Perhaps Pete should be made aware of this. Maybe he could explain it better. I'll try out async mode along w/speed limiting and see how hot the CD gets. Thanks for pointing out a potential problem, Lazy_Guy. BTW, I have been using speed limiting (by itself) for some time now, w/no problems. Yes, it does help. It fixed Gauntlet Legends on my HP CD writer for me.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hot CD's

I don't know how important it is, but FWI, I'm using a pioneer 105s (slotload) 12X DVD, and my CD's are always hot when I eject them (especially if I'm watching a DVD, or playing a PSX game where it's constantly accessing the drive.) I can't believe that such activity would be outside the expecting operating conditions for the drive. They've got to test these things running longer and harder than most of us can push them.

Did that post sound like a bunch of sexual innuendo, or what?

:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tried Cd limiting with Async and it works good, but it still seems to get hot after a while. So im gonna try putting it back to read ahead to see if it solves my probs, I still dont know what speed i should set it to.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yes 2x cdrom in a psx sounds right to me. Try 2x or 4x. heck just try em all to see what's best for you.

S

·
0 Posts
Lazy_Guy, 2x speed is what you want. 2x speed is the actual speed of the PSX CD unit. I tried 2x speed w/Async mode and all my CD rom got was warm. It did not get unduly hot. Maybe your drive does not like Async mode, some don't.
Dirk_gently, what you said makes perfect sense. The manufacturers test these units more throughly that we could ever hope to. They try, deliberately, to make them fail so as to see how good they are.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
Registered
513 Posts
>and my CD's are always hot when I eject them
My CDs have always been warm after using them a good deal, especially those that I do any sort of large install from (my Win2k CD, either of my Mandrake 8 CDs, etc). As dirk_gently said, their temperature is far below what's even considered marginally harmful for them. I know I've had CDs in warm cars (though not in direct sunlight) that weren't harmed at all.

·
Registered
551 Posts
can we use a separate software to limit the CDROM? I've read such post that suggest to limit CDROM speed by using CDThrottle. I downloaded it but I still don't know how it works

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
you can download CD Brake from PSXEmu.com
http://www.psxemu.com/tools-system.shtml
but i havent tried it :p

on another note, pressed CDs are less susceptible to heat than CDRs, because CDRs are written by heating up bits of material, hence the term "burning CDs". Particularly, if you put the data side of a CDR under direct sunlight, you'll get a CD full of 0s and no 1s :cool:

·
Registered
513 Posts
>[snip, warm CDs]
Having an unbalanced label on a CD (or CDR, for that matter) can cause it to heat up also. In addition it can cause problems in reading and can, quite possibly, damage the drive. While this isn't a big problem with homemade CDRs, I've known people with CD labelers that weren't too swift and placed the label off center.

Another caveat being those "protective covers" some rental stores put on their DVDs and PSX CDs. I rented a DVD once that featured one and found that a combination of a warm drive and an incorrectly placed label made the disc stick to the spindle. Needless to say, extracting the thing was quite an adventure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh i hate those.....the protective covers and layers or whatever....then what happens besides the melting is that ya know some idiot is throwing it around and scrapes it a little then causing skips in the DVD....arg....the things ya gotta do to get a RENTAL DVD to work...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts