Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water on an electrical fire,how oblivious can you get?Lightning strike sparks house fire
Published Tuesday, June 7, 2005
A Columbia couple escaped their burning home early Sunday after lightning sparked a blaze that caused $30,000 in damages, Columbia fire Battalion Chief Steve Sapp said in a news release.
Firefighters extinguished the flames in about five minutes, Sapp said. Investigators determined that a lightning strike from thunderstorms moving through the area likely struck the home’s main electrical panel in the garage, where the fire originated.
The residents, Dwayne and Lois Baskett, awakened about 3 a.m. to a loud noise, possibly the lightning strike. Minutes later, Sapp said, they were alerted by their smoke alarms. After escaping to a neighbor’s house to call 911 on a cell phone, one of the owners used a garden hose to break out a garage window and sprayed water on flames in the garage.