Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my research, most all light guns that are currently on the market are not compatible with today's modern digitally based TV displays including LCD, HDTV, plasma, DLP, etc. Yet at the same I believe there are actually a few light guns that are on the market that do boast themselves as being compatible with digitally based TV displays; i.e. the e-Real RGT:G1 Wireless Light Gun & MadCatz claims to be working on a next-gen light gun as well (I think its already out actually, confirmation?). However as per my strict traditional rule that I do not buy cheap third-party hardware for my console hardware, idealistically for PlayStation based light gun games, one is expected to purchase the Namco GunCon2 light gun. I like the look of the GunCon2, but as you can guess it is not compatible with modern digitally based TV displays. In short, here are the specs I am looking for in an ideal light gun:

- Large arcade style light gun, good weight ,good handling, realistic gun; i.e. not a puny little gun that looks like a cheesy plastic space ray gun or something
- Force feedback features including accruate recoil and the top barrel feature like in the Time Crisis arcade guns wherein everytime one pulls the trigger, the barrel at the top physically moves by shifting back and forth, if that makes sense :\
- Has infared laser light target mechanism direct on gun
- Wireless
- LCD TV compatible
- Compatible with all PSX, PS2, and XBOX light gun games

I doubt there is any such light gun that is currently out on the market, but I just thought it would be worth inquiring about. And please note, I have not yet even purchased a TV display yet for my light gun experience as my purchasing decision will depend on whether it will work or not for a light gun. Here are my thoughts on various solutions to getting the ideal light gun gun setup in digital high definition:

- Take an existing LCD compatible light gun & the GunCon2, and attempt to graft the internal components of the LCD gun to the casing of the GunCon2; or somehow mod the GunCon2 in general to have all the features in a light gun that I want.
- Wait to hear from Namco if they plan to develop a next-gen GunCon gun.
- I have heard rumors that there is such a TV display that incorporates both traditional CRT based display technology and digitally based LCD HDTV technology, is this true? Idealistically, I want one big giant all-in-one display that I can hookup my PC via DVI, my game consoles via component cables, and cable TV input to. All the while being compatible with traditonal light guns including the regular GunCon2.

So if anyone who has been through a similar dilemma can help me in getting the information I need in obtaining my ideal light gun setup would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
there is one from act labs that will work on LCD. www.act-labs.com the sential gun is what it called.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
That sential gun works like crap. I also would like a lightgun that would work on my LCD, but none of high caliber work yet.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Leiw said:
well trust me we might not see such product for a long time ...

Do you remember how long it took before they even released guns working with 100 Hz Tvs?
Sadly I dont, do you know why the same method might not work?

·
band
4,912 Posts
wait a minute...

are you guys telling me that my new dlp tv wont work with my guncon2 ? . ____ .

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
D.D. said:
wait a minute...

are you guys telling me that my new dlp tv wont work with my guncon2 ? . ____ .
I dont know, I have a DLP tv too and I would like this clreared up too.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
How accurate is that lightgun? I hear guns for the next geneartion of TVs are very weak.

·
Perpetual Dualism
451 Posts
Source

The thing with these kinds of guns is that you can't just plug them into the console and play. The guns that work on HDTVs use a new technology, and it requires you to attach sensor bars to the sides of the television screen, so there is some set up involved. Apparently having external sensors is the only way that you can get a gun to work on projection televisions.

Buy it from Play-Asia

HERE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.