Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's going to make me drive up to my parents house just to get that game. Are the crash physics close to real life? Could do without the dash view though.

It's still a downloadable beta right?

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, it's an alpha demo of the second version of LFS.

about the crash physics/damage model ... well, I guess it's decent. The damage in Race Driver 2 from Codemasters looks better, due to the way it's implemented, but the method used in LFS allows for a greater variety in uhm, remodeling.

The cars however, are still able to drive somewhat even after ridiculous amounts of damage, which isn't too realistic.

impactspeed <> amount of damage seems to be done ok.

Flare, the cars in LFS are fictional, though very strongly based on real life models. The interior could very well be a Mitshubishi 3000 clone; I don't know. I know the exterior looks somewhat like it, but more like an older Mazda RX-7 (FC)

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Here's some more damage modeling pictures I took yesterday when Samor and me played online. The car in the second picture was someone else, not me :p. I think the car was still drivable though. As for the exterior of the XR, it looks like a cross between a Mazda RX-7 and a Porsche 944 (to me at least).

·
Registered
184 Posts
I didn't mean it like actual real life physics, just if it seemed more "natural". Like in Destruction Derby, it was pretty much bang, stop and roll. Sometimes when you hit the other cars right, they would spin. Not really life-like but close.

Comparing Destruction Derby (PC and PSX) to Demolition Derby (Dreamcast), there's a night and day difference. In Demolition, there was much less spinning, and the car would drive and react much slower. Nothing real about that.

Yeah, I screwed up the wording in my first question, I should have asked how the damage physics compare to other games :)

·
space trader
1,803 Posts
...nice pics, guys :)

...I haven't played LFS for a long while now, but I'm going to redeem myself by trying out the new demo at work tonight. :D

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
What did you do to get the car that mutilated? When I was playing online with you, you were hitting the wall at high speed several times with other people but you didnt' get that badly damaged oO. Are you playing on high ping servers to get weird lag effects? :p

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no, but I found a few spots that do nice damage.

the chicane after the first corner; you can skip it by driving over those "walls" besides it instead. If done properly it even works as a shortcut, but you can only do it so often because the damage makes the car kinda unstable. After that at the long straight at the right, there's two of those advertisement boards; in S1 there were more and you could drive behind them. Here you can't, but drive on the grass at the right and steer your car right into them at high speed; should make for some nice damage. Driving it into a pitbox at high speed also helps, but sometimes the damage gets "auto-fixed" in the pits.

Really, I should be playing GT4 instead ^^;

btw. I read your request after we played last time; I did set up LFS S1 properly again so we can play that online again if you prefer that :)
Seeing S1 again after S2 really made me realize that they changed the game a LOT more than one sees at first sight.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
There's still no dead zone with my controller but the handling seems to be slightly more stable. Maybe it's because I'm beginning to get used to it :p.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts