Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this game yesterday, installed it on XP SP2 without a hitch, and completed the first chapter of 'No Mercy' without issues.

Then today, when I started chapter 2, the game closed to desktop after ~15 minutes of game play. It didn't close alright either, the wallpaper of my desktop was replaced with the scene from the game when it crashed. Thinking it to be a random crash, I restarted the game, but again, ~10 minutes in, the game crashed and this time, I had to reset the computer as even Ctrl+Alt+Del failed to recover it (I assume that it opened up since the mouse cursor was active on a portion of the screen, but it failed to be visible on the screen).

Then I started the game for the third time, and yet again! The game crashed and the classic Windows error box popped up saying "Left 4 Dead has encountered an error and needs to be closed"

So what's the deal here? I doubt having my hardware OC'ed has anything to do with this.

Thanks in advance

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
You are using the latest version (Steam update) right? Game has always worked fine for me. Seems to me like you got some memory corruption or overheating issues.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
I got this game yesterday, installed it on XP SP2 without a hitch, and completed the first chapter of 'No Mercy' without issues.

Then today, when I started chapter 2, the game closed to desktop after ~15 minutes of game play. It didn't close alright either, the wallpaper of my desktop was replaced with the scene from the game when it crashed. Thinking it to be a random crash, I restarted the game, but again, ~10 minutes in, the game crashed and this time, I had to reset the computer as even Ctrl+Alt+Del failed to recover it (I assume that it opened up since the mouse cursor was active on a portion of the screen, but it failed to be visible on the screen).

Then I started the game for the third time, and yet again! The game crashed and the classic Windows error box popped up saying "Left 4 Dead has encountered an error and needs to be closed"

So what's the deal here? I doubt having my hardware OC'ed has anything to do with this.

Thanks in advance
lol talk about games crashing, None of my game are working now.
NFS Most wanted-crashes with an 8-bit color depth screen, after pressing ok monitor turns off.
Burnout paradise-crashes at loading ingame
Devil May Cry4-same as burnout
Dead Space-same as burnout but monitor stays black but does not turn off and I have to restart my PC just to get the desktop back.
I think I'll re-install my OS.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Left 4 Dead has had some issues for me lately as well, but that involves mostly extreme loading before and during the game. Maybe I have to reinstall it. Do you get the memory warning in red letters?

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, haven't experienced any such errors as yet. I don't think its hardware related, because whenever I overclock my GPU too much, I get the VPU Recovey Option from CCC and the clocks get restored back to default. And whenever I OC my CPU too much, it ALWAYS results in a random restart of the PC. And as for the RAM, its actually downclocked from 667MHz to 661MHz, so I doubt its a trouble there.

Maybe reinstalling it will help.

You are using the latest version (Steam update) right? Game has always worked fine for me. Seems to me like you got some memory corruption or overheating issues.
I don't do online gaming, its just single player campaign mode :p

lol talk about games crashing, None of my game are working now.
NFS Most wanted-crashes with an 8-bit color depth screen, after pressing ok monitor turns off.
Burnout paradise-crashes at loading ingame
Devil May Cry4-same as burnout
Dead Space-same as burnout but monitor stays black but does not turn off and I have to restart my PC just to get the desktop back.
I think I'll re-install my OS.
lol yeah, you definitely need to do something about that. I think I'd go into depression if all my games started screwing up like that :lol:

And you know what's more crappy? I asked this same question at GameFAQs and got no replies :mad:

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
I figured out the problem, It seems that my motherboard drivers were causing the problem so I reinstalled the motherboard drivers and then the graphics drivers and now burnout runs without any crashes, only car crashes in game :p

·
Registered
1,720 Posts

Thanks in advance
1)In Steam, check the Fragmentation and Integrity of your files by right clicking on the game in the "My Games" menu, selecting properties, and going to local files.

2)Try decreasing your overclock. Srsly.

3)Get Service Pack 3, don't know why the hell you don't already have it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts