Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a post on Shacknews, Valve has recently issued a slightly different set of PC requirements for their upcoming zombie slaughter-fest Left 4 Dead. The list is almost exactly the same, but if you do not have a 256MB video card installed on your system, take note, because that hefty requirement has been lowered to 128MB.

CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
Disc drive: DVD-ROM Drive
Hard drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
Video: Direct X 9 compatible video card -- Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0 (ATI 9600 or high. Or, Nvidia 6600 or higher)
Sound: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card
In addition to the new requirements for the PC, Valve has also released some screens of the Xbox 360 user interface, one of which is posted above. Check out the rest in our screenshot gallery for the game. Left 4 Dead is expected to infect retailers and Steam on November 18.
I know my computers bad now, but do you think my 256mb 6200 can play it? i know it says 6600, but 128mbs are able to supposedly play itoO

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
Yes maybe abit slow it is source engine after all

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Look up some user experiences, hopefully you can find your answer. Keep in mind that the amount of RAM onboard doesn't mean a thing. Do you have any other Source games by any chance? Dark Messiah, Half Life 2?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I know my computers bad now, but do you think my 256mb 6200 can play it? i know it says 6600, but 128mbs are able to supposedly play itoO
Yes maybe abit slow it is source engine after all
I have a 7600 with 256MB of RAM and I can run L4D on maximum settings, lol. Of course, the framerate isn't a 100% smooth silky 60 all the time, but I can run it fine. The Source engine is highly optimized, I'm not sure what you're talking about raksmey.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I have the 6600gt with 128mb, and it does well enough, so you might be okay.
Do they still have the demo for download?

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ehh i already got it.
I tried it.
It works alright on medium-ish settings.
no aa or anything :(
looks like an old game, seriously.
and scary as **** with the sound real loud.
as it just goes and random screams.

·
I Am Merely A Pawn...
826 Posts
I have the 6600gt with 128mb, and it does well enough, so you might be okay.
no. valve took it down shortly after release. meant i couldn't test how l4d would run on my crappy old system.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,454 Posts
I have a 7600 with 256MB of RAM and I can run L4D on maximum settings, lol. Of course, the framerate isn't a 100% smooth silky 60 all the time, but I can run it fine. The Source engine is highly optimized, I'm not sure what you're talking about raksmey.
I used to play HL 2 which used the same source engine with my old Geforce FX 5700LE 256mb with every max without AA.It is very playable.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Ahahahahaha!!!!!! Good one Exodus.

ehh i already got it.
I tried it.
looks like you need a new system. I have 4x AA, 16x Anisotropic Filtering, Triple-Buffered V-Sync, and all the other settings on high(very high for shading, since that's the only one with that option). Again, my video card shouldn't be too much better than yours.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahahahahaha!!!!!! Good one Exodus.

looks like you need a new system. I have 4x AA, 16x Anisotropic Filtering, Triple-Buffered V-Sync, and all the other settings on high(very high for shading, since that's the only one with that option). Again, my video card shouldn't be too much better than yours.

:mad:your an ass.
:lol:i am planning on building one,
or at least trying to get my old one going.
this was always just a fallback board cause it had agp and pci-e.
But the pcie cant take newer cards that take a lot of power.
so im stuck with my agp 6200.
plan to oc cpu to 2.5 though

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah currently its this as of so far, probably gonna copy it in my sig soon.

Mobo: Asrock 4core dual VSTA
Cpu: e2160 @1.8, need to remember how to oc on this board.
ram: 2gb Pc4200, 533mhz
Gpu: evga e-geforce 6200 256mb agp
psu: 580watt (very cheap, okia brand, made for a p4)
400gb western digital sata hdd
Dvd burner
relatively old sound blaster sound card(onboard is dead on this board)

i think thats about it. besides my fdd. Btw has anyone seen the prices of those in stores!! at staples, a usb floppy drive was $40!!!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Looks like the CPU speed is what's holding you down. That and the fact that the card is an AGP card. And btw, you overclock in the BIOS. :p

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like the CPU speed is what's holding you down. That and the fact that the card is an AGP card. And btw, you overclock in the BIOS. :p
,,!,,(>.<),,!,,
you dont say:lol:
but its just different from my fatal1ty board,
this has things linked and unlinked and synced or asynced,
and i gotta find where to change the voltages.
once i get there it'll come back to me.
or i can always checked the manual.
I have had it stable-ish at 2.5 (back then i never knew about stress testing)
but it never bluescreened back then i dont think.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Bubba, on that board you could try to set the FSB to 266 to start with. Your motherboard should be able to handle it, as does your RAM. Just hope that those will be synced at the same speed that way. I had the same board, and this was a quick and simple way of overclocking my e4400. Don't count on going over FSB280 though, there's a wall between that and 300 MHz that's rather hard to break.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually remember that back then, you told me that, but i was actually able to oc higher. btw i screwed with some settings, and i set it back to auto but it did put me at 266 on auto so i am at 2.3ish. I just actually gotta get into itto push it.
(ill have to pull up my old oc threads, i mis those noob days...)

Anyway, i ran speed fan with my 2.3ghz, and for some reason one core runs much hotter, and im not all that sure why. its like core 0 and core 1 are 34 and 37, but then theres another "core" at 48C which i am guessing is the normal cpu temp.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I used to play HL 2 which used the same source engine with my old Geforce FX 5700LE 256mb with every max without AA.It is very playable.
Same with my system - it automatically set itself on high everything, and it runs well enough, other than some bad spots.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Again, my video card shouldn't be too much better than yours.
Oh, but it is. A 6800GT is worlds better than a GeForce 6200, which itself is very roughly around par with a GeForce4 Ti4200. The GeForce 7600GS falls under the 6800GT (and above the GeForce 6600GT), but the GeForce 7600GT is better than the GeForce 6800GT. No matter which you have, your card is alot stronger.
ehh i already got it.
I tried it.
RAM amount has nothing to do with the GPUs strength. More RAM is better than less, if all else is the same, but don't think if you have twice the RAM as required, that it will compensate for a lesser GPU than required.

Your CPU is fine. Your RAM is fine. Your GPU is what's holding you back. I'd hesitate putting a good GPU in with that PSU though.

·
Mhm.
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, but it is. A 6800GT is worlds better than a GeForce 6200, which itself is very roughly around par with a GeForce4 Ti4200. The GeForce 7600GS falls under the 6800GT (and above the GeForce 6600GT), but the GeForce 7600GT is better than the GeForce 6800GT. No matter which you have, your card is alot stronger.RAM amount has nothing to do with the GPUs strength. More RAM is better than less, if all else is the same, but don't think if you have twice the RAM as required, that it will compensate for a lesser GPU than required.

Your CPU is fine. Your RAM is fine. Your GPU is what's holding you back. I'd hesitate putting a good GPU in with that PSU though.
actually vram is rather important in this game.
especially when boomers vomit on you, then 50 people show up on screen.
this is a crazy game though.
quite amusing.
anyone here play it online for pc?

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I doubt it, since all the textures are copies of each other anyway, there's no 50 unique zombies out there, but I suppose you have a point though. Still, how do you think a 256MB card is going to render the boomer's vomit, the lighting effects and the explosions when things get crowded? :)

Also, anyone here NOT playing it online? ;) That's the best part man. Just owned some guys in the third level of No Mercy in Versus. They didn't make it to the first door. Had a great team, lol'd our arses off. Then in the next round I was put to the other team after an extremly long loading period. This game gets buggier with each release...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts