Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The L4D survival pack was released today(actually like JUST NOW I think). It adds a new gameplay mode(Survival), which has 16 maps to play on, new leaderboards, and 7 new achievements attached with it.

Visit the L4D official blog Left 4 Dead, for more information.

Also there's apparently a (I believe permanent) price drop of $10 on the game, both on Steam and retail versions.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
People would have to be nuts to buy Left 4 Dead for $39.99 when the Game of the Year Edition is coming out for $39.99 on May 5th.

Oddly some stores were liquidating the game for $29.99, but they were shush shush about the fact they were clearing them out. In fact you can't even find the "vanilla" Left 4 Dead on either Wal Mart or Game Stop's site and Valve is hush hush about the whole situation...

I'd suggest waiting until May 5th....

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Survival mode just looks incredible. And from what I've heard, a Tank spawn every 45 seconds after 10 minutes, and eventually every 15 seconds. Yikes!

Holy ****, that looks painful.

People would have to be nuts to buy Left 4 Dead for $39.99 when the Game of the Year Edition is coming out for $39.99 on May 5th.

Oddly some stores were liquidating the game for $29.99, but they were shush shush about the fact they were clearing them out. In fact you can't even find the "vanilla" Left 4 Dead on either Wal Mart or Game Stop's site and Valve is hush hush about the whole situation...

I'd suggest waiting until May 5th....
The GOTY Edition is just L4D with the (free) Survivor Pack already on the disk... So there's no real advantage to waiting for that one to come out.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Hush hush about the whole situation? They basically have ads for the game everywhere that says "GOTY edition : with the survival pack content which is available for free for existing owners!".
There's no "LET'S SCREW THE CUSTOMERS YAY!" going on here, it's just the same game but with GOTY added to it, because it sounds nice and is a good marketing tactic.
(unless they added some goodies, like... I dunno, an artbook or somesuch. Which is a nice bonus, but not necessary)

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Hush hush about the whole situation? They basically have ads for the game everywhere that says "GOTY edition : with the survival pack content which is available for free for existing owners!".
There's no "LET'S SCREW THE CUSTOMERS YAY!" going on here, it's just the same game but with GOTY added to it, because it sounds nice and is a good marketing tactic.
(unless they added some goodies, like... I dunno, an artbook or somesuch. Which is a nice bonus, but not necessary)
I guess I haven't seen the ads anywhere, nor any mention of the GoTY edition at any stores that sell the game, plus they are selling the 360 version of the GoTY edition for $59.99 while the normal version is now $49.99, so if the 360 users can get the expansion for free why pay $10 more for a GotY edition?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy ****balls, Survival rapes your ass then ****s down it. I played for around 3-4 hours and only got ONE BRONZE medal, and that was JUST BARELY(20 or so seconds over the requirement)(I was playing with a full group of 4 pretty good people). After meeting the bronze requirement(4 minutes of survival), we looked and saw the Silver requirement- 7 MINUTES. At that point there were 2 tanks pretty much all the time, anywhere from 2-5 special infected at once, and a horde every 40 or so seconds. I have no clue how the hell anyone is supposed to survive to get a gold medal(10+ minutes), much less get that on all 16 maps. It's crazy ****.

·
Registered
10,692 Posts

·
The Necro-Master
9 Posts
Good old L4D. I'll have to pick up the Survival pack when I can get back on a DSL connection. I can't play or even install it on this 5 kb/s download dial-up P.o.S. connection.

I've really been wanting to get my last 4 videos uploaded for it and to get back in to doing vids with my buddy Kai. I've been practicing and playing Single Player so I won't be THAT rusty when I get back.

I just can't see how people could say this game had no replay value after a month. I mean, there's always something fun to do. Like make up mini games. One of my favourite and one concieved myself is Zombie Punting. :3

Can't wait to try Survival Mode and get that Gold Medal. When I get back on, anyone interested in playing or just screwing around is free to add me. My Steam name is the same as my Forum name here. xXZeroBeatXx

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
so if the 360 users can get the expansion for free why pay $10 more for a GotY edition?
I think it could be related to the way the 360 works, and additional work that the devs may have had to do.
I dunno exactly how it works, so that's just a guess, but : If you get the pack for the 360, you most likely have to install it on your 360. While if you buy the GOTY edition, it most likely simply end up reading it from the disc.

I do believe I've heard Valve talk about how L4D (original) already took pretty much all the place there was to be found on the DVD, and that adding the updates was proving to be a difficult task, but that they were finding ways to do it anyway. The additional 10$ may be because of this, for a PC there's basically no changes, but for a 360 it may be more complicated.
(still, simply a guess)

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
Sweet Deal! $27.99 from New Egg FREE SHIPPING! I think I'll buy it next payday! I week from Friday!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.