Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, i've got to go to a dance tomorrow night, but i have never danced before, and i don't want to make (that much) of a fool of myself

ya, it's pretty lame, but could anyone point me to a good website or suggest a way to learn how to dance within the next 24 hours? my friends in the past have told me that i'm pretty stiff whenever i've tried to dance....

the type of music being played are a few country songs, slow dance songs, and "back - it -up" kind of music (now i'm really embarrassed to be asking what i should expect here, lol)

also, how would i dance to songs like "cotton eye joe"?

any help appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
im a bad dancer too, im still learning, but if you are so desperated you can ask your mother or sister for help, im sure someone you know can teach you. :dance:

·
He's watching you.
1,221 Posts
i dont know how to dance too..........

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I did ballroom dancing for three years but it is something you don't learn within 24 hours oO

About cotton eye joe: Get drunk like a redneck :p

I think it would be the best if you got asked by a nice girl, that you don't reject, but tell her in all honesty that you aren't able to, how embarrassing it might sound. But perhaps with a slow song she wants to teach you and dancing on slow songs doesn't have to be difficult, like :

One step front, one slide the the side, put feet together, one step front, one slide to the other side.

Just an example, just DON'T step on her toes ;)

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Well you could try Google. However I would reccomend asking someone who knows how to dance to teach you as it's much easier to learn.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone.

Ya, I know it's almost a feeble attempt, but I have the Will! (of course, I always wait until the last minute to succumb to that will)

I did some googling and I found a few sites with dance steps and videos, but there isn't anyone available to practice with me. I called some friends and apparently the dance is more dirty-dancing music and is informal with a few country and slow songs thrown in.

As for getting drunk.... does getting high off breadsticks at Olive Garden count?

Here is the site i'm using:

http://www.learntodance.com/

Also, what is "two-step" dancing? (you may call ignorance on me)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I pretty much went to the wrong place to find an answer. But I can help! just take all your valuable belongings(gold, silver, and money), put them in a box and set them outside by the corner. I'll wait here...

Okay you did that, alright first thing to know is 66% of dancing involves bending your knees. When that fails look around and copy other people. And if all else fails fake an injury, you already can't look any dumber.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
TheOneAndOnlySM said:
Thanks everyone.

Ya, I know it's almost a feeble attempt, but I have the Will! (of course, I always wait until the last minute to succumb to that will)

I did some googling and I found a few sites with dance steps and videos, but there isn't anyone available to practice with me. I called some friends and apparently the dance is more dirty-dancing music and is informal with a few country and slow songs thrown in.

As for getting drunk.... does getting high off breadsticks at Olive Garden count?

Here is the site i'm using:

http://www.learntodance.com/

Also, what is "two-step" dancing? (you may call ignorance on me)
Two step is some kind of music as well, it has a different beat AFAIK. Don't ask me more about it :p

·
Registered
613 Posts
Considering that 90% of the people on the dance floor (whether at bars, clubs, socials, etc.), are pretty awful or at best, merely adequate dancers, you shouldn't really worry yourself sick about it.

Once you realize that the majority of people are equally if not worse dancers than you are, it's all good. Your attitude towards how people perceive you on the dance floor really affects your "stiffness" and whether you look awkward or not. Be loose, don't give a s*** what other people think, and you'll be the pimp on the dance floor (considering that your "dance" seems like a high school event).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great advice.... unfortunately, didn't get it until this morning, but that is pretty much what other people told me to do before the dance.

Anyway, went through it and I pretty much embarrassed myself. I tried to be loose, tried to think passively and go with the flow, but it's the first time I've ever really asked my body to move with a beat.

I ended up doing a few slow dances, and was only moderately successful at that. I'm afraid that I really disappointed my date, but fortunately the dance was informal, so she danced with some other people. She had a good time, and that's really all that matters... though of course my impression upon her is now forever tainted. I don't think I'll be packing my bags though, it just shows that I have much to work on.... dancing is fun, but just mechanical movements don't exactly work.

I'm upset that I let my date down, but I'm angry at myself because I brought it upon her. But whatever has happened has happened, and I'll grow from it. The beat goes on....

Thanks everyone

edit: btw, the majority of the songs were rap or songs that called for dirty dancing... I'm just upset that I couldn't even dance well enough to get behind a girl, lol.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
/Cid points at Netghosts signature :D

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
What about rap songs, casue thats all they play at our school. I need to learn how to get a girl to rub their butt on me :p. Our school dances are like orgys

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I dunno what to do with that music, when they play it in clubs I usually get something to drink, cause it's music I don't like. But I guess you just have to be one with the beat.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Viper,ask Kaiser :p

Cid,then think how it feels when you only like metal and rock on a party or something :rolleyes:

About dancing,I did it a total times of 3 in my whole life I think,and never again will I dance :p Headbanging and moshing is my game.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
wow this thread is pretty sad, looking up how to dance on the internet is like looking up how to fix your car on the internet :p you guys always trip me out!

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
He is asking kindly if we have any advice and we will give it. Everyone is a n00b at something and we will help when they need it and when we can provide it. There is no need for you to tell us this thread is sad.... :dot:

Carnage said:
Viper,ask Kaiser

Cid,then think how it feels when you only like metal and rock on a party or something

About dancing,I did it a total times of 3 in my whole life I think,and never again will I dance Headbanging and moshing is my game.
Hehe, I know exactly how it feels ;) Remember I love metal as well (next Tuesday will rock :guitar::guitar: :rolleyes: )
You might understand why I listen to Dutch Hardcore as well for obvious reasons ;)

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
:lol: I've never danced in my life, and I never will :p

Few things look so disgusting to me as dancing. Headbanging is the way to go ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts