Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WEll this is perhaps the most interesting thread I will ever come up with so please be specific. Anyways, I remember going to Office max? or some other store and realized that I could only find 2 CRT monitors everything else was LCD,now I dunno about you but I kinda don't like the grainy look on LCDs but I guess eventually all monitors will be LCD, and I am thinking of buying a new more expensive monitor sometime next year so should I stick with CRT or go with LCD? is there an LCD monitor that is as bright as a CRT? What would you do?
Sorry this is so long but i think is important.
thanks!

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
Just make sure you get one that is a high contrast ratio (500:1 or better) and a good refresh rate, and you'll be surprised at how much nicer an lcd can look compared to an old CRT, not to mention how much less power they use. Also active matrix TFT is a must. But the best way to tell what's going to look good is to check out a display model at the store (if there is one) as I've seen some pretty lousy lcd's.

·
Registered
231 Posts
ive got a PLANAR digital lcd monitor. its quite good, contrast is nice, and with digital outputs (yes, ive got a digital video card to hook it up to) DVDs look phenominal on it.

i wouldnt bash PLANAR either. this is the company that makes the touch screens used in hospitals all over the world.

im unsure wether you could find a PLANAR in stores anywhere though.. if you do, get it.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
my LCD monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 710N) is brighter than my (sort of) old CRT (NEC SB771SB or wahtever it was). it's a pretty sweet monitor. i hate having SXGA (5:4 as opposed to 4:3) but meh, it saves space on my desk, and it's easy on the eyes. plus it was free ;)

·
カラム
365 Posts
Lol, I reckon LCD's is better. And I'm not sure if there is an LCD that is as bright as a CRT Monitor.

·
band
4,912 Posts
i always thot LCDs had higher brightness by default but worse contrast @[email protected] going from my samsung crt to my acer lcd i found the brightness to be overwhelming ~____~

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
You will want a LCD with a response time of 16ms or better and a contrast ratio of 300:1 or better to replace CRT screens, I have 2 LCD screens and I would say that LCDs are for the most part superior to CRT screens except for the price
BTW.DD you may have set your brighness too high

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
I much prefer the LCD screens to CRT, to be honest i think its much clearer and a nicer overall picture.

the only thing i dont like about them is most seem be limited to a res of 1280x1024 max :( (that what you are referring to hushy?)

altho i need a better one, this monitor has some silly response time like 50ms or smth ;p but when youve had it a while you dont really notice.

·
I Burnt The Toast!
1,493 Posts
Wow, I must be the only one to still prefer even a half assed CRT over a good LCD.

Native reso sucks, view angle sucks, ghosting sucks.

This is about the only LCD I would go for at the moment. Of all the LCD/HDTV's I have seen, this one was being used as a monitor (23" version) at Fragapalooza, by far it has been the nicest.
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4031317

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
I assume the graininess being spoken of was about when an LCD is being run at a non-native resolution (1024x768 on a 1280x1024 screen for instance). Due to the digital nature of LCD's, that problem just isn't going away. If you get one that has a maximum of 1280x1024, you'd better run it all the time at 1280x1024, even if your games are slow at that resolution... otherwise you get distortion (or "graininess").

EDIT: This may also be a reason why an LCD running at 1600x1200 may not be the best of ideas...

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Yeah, I always run mine at 1280x1024 as it's the native resolution. LCDs aren't as flexible as CRTs but they're usually better quality, take up a lot less space, take up less power, and are easier on the eyes (there's nothing shooting beams at you). Mine is a 19" Acer (8 ms response time) and it works great. I much prefer it over my old 19" CRT which it replaced.

Everything's going LCD nowadays and I figure in a couple of years CRTs will all but disappear (except for maybe the low-end bargain segment).

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
But, as was mentioned above, the high performance machines will likely still use CRTs unless you can find an LCD that runs at 2048x1536 or better (think design / engineering work).

Also, I'm not entirely sure everything in the consumer market will go LCD - Personally, I have a 42" Plasma display that I sometime work on (walk over to the other room, switch the plasma to VGA input, and work from there - KVM extenders rule ;)).

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I greatly prefer decent CRTs, since LCDs are far too expensive even now in the UK, I like to change the resolution for pretty much every game I play, CRTs have better viewing angles and slightly better colour representation. The space/power advantages of TFT displays do not make me want to spend £100-200 extra when there are no obvious advantages quality-wise.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
refraction said:
the only thing i dont like about them is most seem be limited to a res of 1280x1024 max :( (that what you are referring to hushy?)
i was referring to the native resolution, like Cylinder/Killershots said.

anyway, since price is a nonissue for me (CRTs and LCDs are both cheap IMO...plus my LCD was free), it goes like this

LCDs are better:
-easy on the eyes
-bigger monitor in less desk space (17" LCD has more visible screen than 17" CRT too btw)

CRTs are better:
-games (changeable refresh rates, changeable resolution)
-100% view angle

i love my monitor because its easy on my eyes and frees up A LOT of space. but i hate that i have to run everything at 1280x1024 which is, for one, a higher res than i want to run some of my games at, and secondly it's 5:4 SXGA. so, meh. i had to make a choice between a 17" CRT and LCD...i had the CRT for a while but then i eventually picked this. if i could, i'd take a 21" CRT any day ;)

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I have a bad experience with an LCD screen of a friend of mine, who has got 2 dead pixels, and the warranty is very tricky with those problems :(

Other than that I'm still on a CRT, mainly because of the price. I would love to get an LCD, I don't do much gaming anyway. I will get a 17" CRT this week, which will be an upgrade over my 15" CRT I now use. Someone offered it for free, or he would be throwing it away :p

About the resolution and problems when running at non-native resolutions: If you get a 1600x1200 screen, would 800x600 look fine because it's a exactly a quarter of the normal screen, meaning 1 pixel could fill 4 on the monitor? (don't know how to explain it in proper english but I think you guys will understand me :) )

·
band
4,912 Posts
I don't do much gaming anyway
isnt that all the more reason to get a cheezy LCD ??

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Yes it is, but I don't have the money atm, and the CRT is still working fine. And the new one won't cost me a cent, so I doubt I will get an LCD anytime soon. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.