Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sony's boss Kaz Hirai shares. Tells. Reveals.
A few statements have been boldened for emphasis.

Hirai: We're the "official" industry leader News // PS3 /// Eurogamer - Games Reviews, News and More

Sony Computer Entertainment boss Kaz Hirai has dismissed Microsoft and Nintendo as competitors because he sees PlayStation as the "official" industry leader.

"This is not meant in terms of numbers, or who's got the biggest install base, or who's selling most in any particular week or month, but I'd like to think that we continue official leadership in this industry," Hirai told Official PlayStation Magazine.

"It's difficult to talk about Nintendo, because we don't look at their console as being a competitor. They're a different world, and we operate in our world - that's the kind of way I look at things.

"And with the Xbox - again, I can't come up with one word to fit. You need a word that describes something that lacks longevity," he added with a laugh.

Brandishing Sony's commitment to The Ten Year Plan, Hirai said he wants customers to feel confident their PlayStation console will not "fall by the wayside in five years" - a milestone Microsoft has yet to overcome, he pointed out.

"And," offered Hirai, "unless things go really bad, there's no way that at the end of a life cycle our competition is going have a higher install base."

Hirai also addressed the complex architecture of the PS3, which developers have openly struggled to get to grips with.

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai.

He picked God of War to show gameplay changing during long life of the PS2, and said that sort of learning curve will be the same with PS3.

"So it's a kind of - I wouldn't say a double-edged sword - but it's hard to program for, and a lot of people see the negatives of it, but if you flip that around, it means the hardware has a lot more to offer," he said.

Wrapping things up, Hirai said the PlayStation 3 "won't radically change" over the next few years in the same way the New Xbox Experience revamped the competition.

He hopes PlayStation Home will help there, by growing to a point where one type of consumer buys the PS3 solely for the virtual world, before discovering that there are are some games on the games console.

"We want to expand the demographics from just a videogaming audience to something that's a little bit more massive," Hirai concluded.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
They're the industry leader, but gamers want XBOX 360s and Wiis...Interesting.
I'm sure the Wii's can't keep selling @ 2 million a month forever, but damn, the PS3 has a lot of catching up to do to be a leader...

And what was their definition of leader again?

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Looks like Kaz got into the medicine cabinet again.

"And with the Xbox - again, I can't come up with one word to fit. You need a word that describes something that lacks longevity," he added with a laugh.
One thing's for sure, you can always rely that the big three will come up with some classic PR to make their stuff look good, even though it brands them as wankers and stupids in the process.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
This is some pretty arrogant and childish stuff, but this one statement really stood out for me:

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?"
Honestly, what the hell? How can anyone see logic in this!? We need a Psyduck emoticon.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Playstation Home? the way it is currently, it wont be as good as he hopes it will be. I got online once and never logged in back. It maybe fun but the minute you get in there, you are harassed.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
My only comment is that Hirai is living in his own little dream world rather than facing the real life. :lol:

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Life is so much easier when you live it in ignorant bliss....not.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,277 Posts
"This is not meant in terms of numbers, or who's got the biggest install base, or who's selling most in any particular week or month, but I'd like to think that we continue official leadership in this industry," Hirai told Official PlayStation Magazine.
And I am rich. Not in the terms of property, money or salary. But I'd like to think that I'm rich.

:S

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Hirai said that the PS3 would sell for 600 dollars each even if it DIDN'T play games during E3 2006.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
The comment about easy-to-program for might have been lost in translation... or thought...? :p

But if what he meant was this: a console that has an easy-to-develop-for programming interface means that everyone will do just about the same thing, and they won't try to innovate it anymore. When that is the case... not only do developers rely solely on the programming interface (most likely provided by the console manufacturers?) but it would be pointless trying to go beyond what the interface can do as well, and then you suddenly have a bar set in place for what you can do. Also, everyone's games will then start to look and feel about the same, and then quality would be about the same.

... If what he meant was that, then I think I can kinda understand.

I mean... look at Flash games we have on the market. Just type in Flash games and you see it pop up in bulk numbers on Google, and then... all you go in to see is some kind of funky quiz with colorful stuffs... or stickmen shooting and beating the **** outta each other... and all Flash games look about the same. Nobody tries to go beyond that because the bar is already set, and nobody tries harder to take advantage of Flash because they think that's all there is to it. Not too many people try anymore, and then when they try, not too many pay attention because the audience themselves also think that's all there is to it.

So... is that all there is to it? :p

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Are you making a Flash SRPG?? Tell the truth you scoundrel!

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Not until I beat that ultimate boss in Disgaea DS... (who has about 4-5 times my current stats) and finish up Disgaea 2 and 3. :p

You need to have a clear picture of what you want to accomplish, otherwise it won't work out.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
Mmm... I've read dev blogs that make note of what it's like to develop games on the PS3 and nearly all of them cite the PS3's dev kit as "crappy". This was also the case for the PS2. Trying to program a "simple" AI routine, an actor script, or special effect requires you to jump through burning hoops while doused in gasoline with dynamite strapped to your chest. In other words, the devs are saying it's truely a nightmare to program on Cell.

The fact that the dev kit sucks also affects the cost to produce the games. These developers must invent their own code from scratch to get the PS3 to perform many of the simple, every day tasks that we take for granted. This results in having to code, test, bugfix, test, etc. for a longer period of time to create a playable game.

I remember reading about a PS2 game (wish I could remember which one) that first featured anti-aliasing. The PS2 doesn't natively support this and it wasn't in the dev kit, but the developers were ahead of schedule and decided to try something new. The idea was that is they were successful, they could implement it in future games, and if not, all they had to do was remove the code.

If you look back on the PS2, many of the games looked pretty much the same in their own ways. As time went on, various coding teams had "discovered" more efficient ways of doing things. Near the end of the PS2's life cycle we see games like God of War that look like they're running on a totally different system.

No doubt, the PS3 will be the same story in the end when all is said and done. However, given the increased complexity of PS3 over PS2, I think it will be a good while before we wind up with games that make our jaws drop and we say to ourselves, "This is a PS3 game?!?"oO

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
No doubt, the PS3 will be the same story in the end when all is said and done. However, given the increased complexity of PS3 over PS2, I think it will be a good while before we wind up with games that make our jaws drop and we say to ourselves, "This is a PS3 game?!?"oO
A good way to learn about a console is to... make an emulator for it!!

If not, trials and errors... I guess, but not like they should complain about it. Maybe that person is really just bragging it up... or... he really hates his job. The latter seems likely.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,507 Posts
A good way to learn about a console is to... make an emulator for it!!

If not, trials and errors... I guess, but not like they should complain about it. Maybe that person is really just bragging it up... or... he really hates his job. The latter seems likely.
Well, I would assume that if Cell really is as hard to program on as they say, I would hate my job. Afterall, the most stressful aspect of being a video game dev is meeting the deadline. If you run into problems coding, you may have to cut corners to meet said deadline. This can be particularly devastating to a dev when their heart is truly into the game, but they wind up releasing a turd because they had to cut corners, couldn't play-test it enough, or went over budget.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Hmm if the PS3 is in it's own category then what the hell is it competing against? And if there's only itself in that category then would that not also still make it the loser of the category?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I prefer the difficulty of the PS3 devkit, over the pos Xbox360 devkit, which you end up getting half arsed ports to PC from.

Someone go find me a PS3 > PC port that sucks, you won't find one. All the sucky ports have been from non exclusive titles which ended up on Xbox 360

1 - 20 of 48 Posts