Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Discuss the categories to use, their names, the candidates to feature in each, who belongs to different categories, etc...

- First, I propose 'newcomer of the year' to be relabelled 'revelation of the year', and for some of the picks to be kept eligible (except those featured in 'members of year'or belonging there exclusively).

- the list for coders needs some thought. plenty these names could be abbreviated under as 'X team and contributors' instead, to keep it appropriate enough and traight to the poing.

- the list of ngemu staff:
* tsirk declined to be featured there.
* should godwin be featured? (my personal hunch is that however notable he might be/have been, inclusion would be inproper, given the expulsed status).
* what is your take about the mentioning I have been subject to? think i should decline? ( i actually thought of declining whatever people said so as to keep the list short, would appreciate if you could give feedback about this point).

·
Registered
560 Posts
- the list of ngemu staff:
* tsirk declined to be featured there.
Yes please don't put me on any of the lists. If crowdgather supplies any prizes it would be a conflict of interest. And even if we don't, I don't think it would be appropriate. Let it go to someone who it isn't there job to be here.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I too think Godwin's name would be improper. Not sure about retired admins though. If I was in charge of the awards I won't include their names coz if any of them won the responses like "best admins already left so the site is dying blablabla" are bound to appear.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For that category, the current list of names was the following. Which should stay/be removed? (emwearz for instance stepped down just very recently, and the poll itself is about allaround activity during the year). Its also more likely normal mods and SL will have people's favor this year.

- jonc2006
- Shadow Lady
- Miretank
- _E_
- Prafull
- Refraction
- Chrono Archangel
- Kirby
- Cooliscool
- Kellicros
- Tsirk (declined)
- Bobbi (retired) - ?
- Bositman (retired) - ?
- Emwearz (retired?) - ?
- General Plot (retired) - ?
- Godwin (unlikely to be featured, given the "permanent leave" status) - no
- Hard core Rikki (?!?) - ?

member and newcomer could use a though too. Duplicate names appear on both, which shouldnt normally be (just a dupe removal in favor of the more appropriate category should suffice to keep the 2 lists acceptably short - around 15 picks is itself alright)

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Godwin left on a pretty negative tone and IMO, should not be included. Didn't know Emwearz was gone :)(), haven't seen Bositman for awhile now. Not sure about GP.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Just my thoughts. Feel free to dismiss.

If I was in charge of the awards I won't include their names coz if any of them won the responses like "best admins already left so the site is dying blablabla" are bound to appear.
I could see that. But a lot of the admins that stepped down are still around, just not in an admin role.
http://forums.ngemu.com/members/11857.html
http://forums.ngemu.com/members/54609.html
http://forums.ngemu.com/members/40373.html
So I could see that going either way.

Just like I don't think I should be on there because I'm a paid employee, I don't think Bobbi should be either. Let awards be for the volunteers.

Godwin may or maynot be back. The vote in the mod forum was only 1 more for in favor for him being banned. If the mods got together and decided to lift it, he could be back.

Hard core Rikki, you totally count as staff. :)

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
I don't think Bobbi should be either. Let awards be for the volunteers.
you kidding? who better volunteer over all this years ;P

IMHO let the retired admins in the list, just as if they were taking a break instead doesnt mean they didnt have a major role over the year... a banned mod/admin thou that's a different story <.<

Edit: retired staff... my bad ;P

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I significantly doubt the memberbase would/could throw sneary remarks in awards.
Defending their own vote against other people's would likely be as far as it could go, and even that much would remain healthy ('x and y are teh coolest').

The list itself is acceptably short, thats why I asked about the inclusion of specific individuals (such as retired people, godwin and I).

If the staff category is done, time to contend about the newcomer/member/other categories? (the threads also have to be done)
Plenty names have been listed. after thecloudofsmoke refines his list in one of those, swapping people to the more appropriate category and removing dupes could suffice to keep both categories around 14 picks (acceptable length).

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Plenty names have been listed. after thecloudofsmoke refines his list in one of those, swapping people to the more appropriate category and removing dupes could suffice to keep both categories around 14 picks (acceptable length).
14 picks is a bit too much dont you think? i'd go for 8 (the 8 most nominated), removing the dupes (since the main purpose of the awards are similar)

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I agree. Voting for not just one person but a few you really think deserve the award sounds like the better approach.

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Remain avatar, coders, thoughts and threads of the year (bin and normal ones).

normal threads:
http://forums.ngemu.com/ngemu-awards-2008/115335-threads-year-2008-suggestions.html

bin thread catego:
http://forums.ngemu.com/recycle-bin/115585-2008s-best-bin-threads-suggestions.html

posts/thoughts of year:
- http://forums.ngemu.com/ngemu-awards-2008/115593-thought-year-2008-suggestions.html
- http://forums.ngemu.com/recycle-bin/115828-posts-year-2008-go-here.html

rather than list evey single contributor, addressing to these as for example 'dolphin team and contributors' and such could be cooler.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Sent a PM to all those in the avatar list for the avatar they want to use for representation ('cept redlof). Just awaiting their reply now so I can finish that one up.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Sorry for disappearing out of the blue, but I'm back?

I've been checking what's been done so far and I can't find much to add sadly >_<

Other than that, could we get the "hide the vote count" mod in?

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Just an update on the threads:

[Awards 2008] - Favorite forum sections - Ready for public view
[Awards 2008] - Staff members of the year - Ready for public view
[Awards 2008] - Avatar of the year - Ready for public view (just waiting for TCOS avatar and it's good to go)
[Awards 2008] - Artist of the Year - Ready for public view (Fadz was messing with in there for a bit :evil:)
[Awards 2008] - Signature of the Year - Ready for public view

[Awards 2008] - Thread of the Year - This one needs a few more selections IMO. So if any of you want to toss in some good ones, go right ahead.

[Awards 2008] - Game reviewer of the year - The list might need some more editing
[Awards 2008] - Emulation projects of the year - Still needs an intro text from someone familiar with all the projects
[Awards 2008] - Desktop of the Year - The poll in this one needs to be set up ;)

[Awards 2008] - Helper member of the year - Looks ready, but the list looks like it's still up for a small debate. Also, I'd like to change the name to "Most helpful member of the year". The current one sounds kind of odd oO

Coders, Newcomers and Members award thread still need some work.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts