Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is considering laser eye surgery as an alternative to contact lenses and I was wondering if it was a safe procedure. I'm not that up to date on the reliability of the technology. If anyone knows anything about it or can recommend a good clinic in Toronto then I would be most appreciative of any help you can give.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I know several people who made this kind of surgery. None of them had any problems whatsoever. And they did it in Brazil, so I'm pretty sure your sister will be safe in Toronto.

But really, this surgery is very common these days, with high success rates.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it, there are nasty NASTY side-effects, you should only do if it's really needed. research a little about it lasik and this kind of stuff. although most ppl recover fine from the surgery the chances of things getting screwed is still high IMO. I know ppl who did it and can't read, can't drive at night, and some other things.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Just make sure you do your research on the doctors you are looking at. You always want an experienced one, but sometimes you will have to wait years and will cost you big bucks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've only heard good things about it, execpt from the older generation, they seem to fear the idea of shooting focused beams of light at one's eye in an effort to scar it and then heal properly, don't know why tho...must have watched to many space movies...

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
As it's been stated, look for reputated doctors. When done properly, works wonderful. My friend Jose had it done and now has better sight than i (and even more at night :p ). But she will have to protext her eyes from daylight for some time though :/

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The things I heard about it are that you shouldn't get it done if you're younger than 25 years old (cause your eyes are still changing alot), and that it's actually not always "permanent" - some peoples' vision will start to deteriorate again and they'll later need another surgery (or glasses or contacts or whatever). Of course, I heard this stuff a few years ago, so the technology has no doubt improved, probably making all the stuff I've said useless anyway.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Well, I think that when I've seen numerous commercials where the doctors doing the surgery wear glasses, that says a lot right there. It's relatively safe now compared to what it used to be, but if you end up being the rare exception, you're basically screwed. :p As far as wearing off, that usually ends up happening in roughly twenty years or more, so I don't think that's a big deal. It's more or less the same deterioration rate as normal eyes. I agree with Rhombus' point concerning age limits though.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
you have a problem in your feet but you can live normally just have to use some things that after you get used to will become second nature, it doesn't cause social repulse. there's a surgery that can fix it but there's a chance of your feet getting screwed up and you not being able to walk properly or at all.

would you do it?

I'm not saying it ain't good, I know ppl very happy with the results, but there is a chance , the vision is something very important to bet...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Demigod said:
My sister is considering laser eye surgery as an alternative to contact lenses and I was wondering if it was a safe procedure. I'm not that up to date on the reliability of the technology. If anyone knows anything about it or can recommend a good clinic in Toronto then I would be most appreciative of any help you can give.
There have been plenty of infomercials on Toronto television during the past few years for the reputed Herzig Eye Institute for laser vision correction. Check out CTV at around 1am. They give a video tour of their facilities and show the entire procedure in detail.

A list of some other good Toronto eye clinics can be found here. (Herzig is where I would personally go.)

Overview of age problems, etc.: http://www.balancetv.ca/balancetv/client/en/Wellness/DetailNews.asp?idNews=486

caipirinha said:
.... would you do it?
I'm not saying it ain't good, I know ppl very happy with the results, but there is a chance...
That's the risk taken with any optional surgery.
The people I know who've had it done are all happy to be rid of the discomfort of contact lenses.

·
Prepare for Descent...
2,619 Posts
If you listen to Z103.5 on the radio (especially in the mornings during the z103 morning show) they advertise this one laser eye place all the time. Can't remember the name of it atm tho :/

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
Why doesnt she just get contacts. Im considering getting some and i dont even have vision problems :p I just wanna change my eye color.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would love to get contacts myself but after two eye muscle surgeries (to prevent a potentially life threatening situation btw) on each eye my eyes are way too sensitive for contacts. In which case I would like to go in for laser surgery, but considering the fact both my eyes have been operated on twice already, I dont know how safe it would be for me to have it, and after reading that people younger than 25 seem to have side effects with it I wont be getting it for a long time anyway since im only 17. Bottom line is make sure you have a good, reputed surgeon do the surgery. I hear that the surgery rarely goes wrong, but as in all forms of surgery, their is that possiblility of something going wrong.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The problem with laser eye surgery is that when it does go wrong, it can be a nightmare, and one that might last for a lifetime. The great thing is that it can work very well, and many people do it every day.

Also, I might point out that 30-day continuous wear contacts are on the market. If your sister doesn't like taking out/putting in contacts every day, then continuous wear contacts might be a better alternative.

Tips for your sister when considering laser eye surgery:
  • Research the doctor/surgeon, and avoid any surgeon who refuses to be honest and open to you, or who doesn't seem to care about you individually. If you somehow get mixed up with someone else or the surgeon gets careless, the results can be ugly.
  • Don't get laser eye surgery if you have dry or sensitive eyes. It might make your eyes painfully dry.
  • Don't get laser eye surgery if your night vision is important. Night vision problems caused by laser eye surgery tend to be higher than other types of problems, even when they do a good job. We don't know why.
  • Definitely wait until your 25 or older to get the surgery.
  • Research what the latest technologies are and make sure your surgeon is using them. Also consider waiting for upcoming technologies if you hear of them.
  • Look for alternative technologies that might be safer, such as intacs, and consider them by looking at their good/bad qualities in comparison to lasik. Also consider what advances in contact lenses are being made.
  • Most importantly, don't do anything without considering what others have experienced, both good and bad. While the bad is unlikely to be you, remember that there always is a risk, so it's a good idea to read what the unlucky few have experienced. As for the good, make sure to get details.

I just started wearing contact lenses 3-4 months ago, and I've been extremely happy with them. However, after I graduate from college, I'll probably go outdoors, camping and fishing and stuff, where contacts wouldn't be very practical (unless I got some new 30-day contacts).

·
Registered
252 Posts
personaly I would love the chance to get lasik Myself , and I hate contacts I love My eye color the way it is , sorta a dead grass color of yellowish brown with green and blue thrown in .(sorry for getting of topic )

·
band
4,912 Posts
lol. my friend's eye colour is like that.

on topic: i once did a project on this very topic (laser eye surgery) back in elementry. most of my reference was from TLC because i had sent a letter to them requesting information and they sent me this [email protected]$$ (seriously) parcel of information that covered everything about the procedure. it even had a video in it :p iirc the success percentages were pretty convincing and for sure TLC is one clinic thats been around for a long time doing JUST laser eye surgery (i think this was a good 8 yrs ago). i'd recommend giving TLC a call to ask around or request an info pack like i did.

·
Back from the dead
3,741 Posts
I don't think she has to worry about waititng till 25. I know people under 25 who've had laser eye surgery and they had no problems from the surgery.

·
Coffee Demon
2,907 Posts
Guess it is all a matter of experience...One of our co-workers had it done, and she is quite happy with the results. The only thing uncertain is possible problems surfacing later in life....We do find it funny though that the Lasik doctors do wear glasses...hehe

Well...our vision is fairly good..so we have not considered it, but our little lady has. The problem is that Lasik has not been authorized for military members....so maybe the technology is not full proof yet. Then again we military folk are more prone to getting stuff in our eyes. :(

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
I really suggest to go with contacts. I have worn them quite a bit over the years, and they are much easier and more comfortable to use today.

So, stick with the contacts unless it is REALLY necessary. It would be a shame for her to go blind or something if the operation isn't successful. oO

r2rX :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts