Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an overheating problem with my laptop when i play on epsxe. Im running on a compaq presario 2500 @ 2.4 ghz. After abut an hour of playing suikoden 2, my laptop just freezes and restarts. Anyway to keep my laptop cooler? thanks

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
makotech222 said:
I got an overheating problem with my laptop when i play on epsxe. Im running on a compaq presario 2500 @ 2.4 ghz. After abut an hour of playing suikoden 2, my laptop just freezes and restarts. Anyway to keep my laptop cooler? thanks
Buy a laptop cooler! I've seen em at Staples, but you can probably find them online.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
well first and foremost---definitely dont keep it on your lap. keep it elevated on a hard surface so that there is room for the fan to work (they are on the bottom). there is a special thingy for laptops that keeps them elevated so air can get to them. play in a cool room, and make sure it's plugged in to the wall. if you can, play it with a controller, so your sweaty hot mitts arent laying on the computer the entire time.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol alright ill try thr hard surface thingy. and also, i tryed to play and emulator on the battery and it drained in about 5 minutes. its supposed o last 3 hours lol. I did a batter check and calibration beforehand. i dunno, maybe mulator is too hard?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My laptop lasts several hours playing Kega/VBA/PJ64, but I do have a P-M. All my emulators are configured 'to sleep while idle' to reduce CPU time wastage.

Pentium 4 Mobile based laptops have poor battery life (around 2 hours doing normal stuff), as they are old tech and use a lot of power.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
turn off ALL powersaving features when playing PSX emulation. if your processor just says "feck it" and clocks down to like 500mhz, your emulator will crash.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do i turn those off? i recently just inherited this laptop from my dad andim still new with laps

Bad part about it is, i made a save state when my computer froze and it corrupted the save! now i gota start bback way to my backup save :p

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
um, i dont have a laptop so i cant tell ya exactly, but try right clicking the desktop-->properties, go to the screen saver tab and click the Power button.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
Compaq, uggh. I had the misfortune of owning an N610c, and it ran at a nice crispy temp of > 80C at full load. As some of the guys have suggested put it in an elevated angle as to have some good clearance on the bottom side. Also, if you have air-conditioning crank the thing down until it feels like you're in north pole. :heh: Otherwise get some moderate volume fans and let them blow from the backside going front. Another thing, IF you can take the hit (probably not) use speedswitch to throttle it down to half the speed. Yes, I know all about the hell's of a p4 mobile based toaster, err laptop.

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.