Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Sager 2096 laptop (from Custom Laptops by PowerNotebooks.com™ - Discount Custom Notebooks & Cheap Laptop Computers) a few days ago. It'll be here soon and I was wondering how well it'll play most games on PCSX2.

15.4" WSXGA+ (1680 x 1050) Glossy LCD
nVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT w/512MB
Intel® Core™2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz Processor w/3MB L2 Cache (25W) - 1066MHz FSB
4GB (2 SODIMMS) DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
320GB SATA II 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive (16MB Cache Buffer)

Hoping it can run at least some of my PS2 games so I don't have to lug them all around with me, haha.

Thanks for any help.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
It should run many games quite well so long as use PCSX2 0.9.6 or one of the latest SVNs. Sager builds custom Clevos much like the laptop I have. (check my sig for specs) Despite my less than stellar specs by today's standards it runs many games quite well. You should be able to run them even better.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
It's not just any laptop, it's a Sager! :)

Anyway, the BIOS doesn't allow you to adjust the multiplier or FSB. You can OC it via software. My laptop OCs to 2.33GHz easily with minimal increase in temps. Unfortunately, that's as high as the multiplier goes.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
There's nothing stopping people from overclocking performance laptops...but remember, you're severely restricted with your cooling. Only time I run my laptop in overclock mode is when it's on my cooling pad. Not going to risk burning up $2000 just so I can get maybe another few FPS :p

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Understand the term restricted. You can only pump out so much heat so fast from a laptop. Most laptop cooling solutions are put together to only handle stock specs at near full load. There's basically no flow compared to a tower case, the only thing moving air are the tiny fan/fans.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Aye. One dinky little fan acting as the exhaust. Pretty pathetic. Lots of performance laptops now come with at least 2 fans, 3 becoming the norm. Or you can go overkill like the higher end Alienware and Sager and...yeah, just google 'em. Expensive as hell, but damn, I want one :p

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Those high end ones have the hybrid GPU set up though. When not gaming, it switches over to the integrated part. And who does serious gaming on their high end laptop when not plugged in?

Like I said, quite a few people find the laptop desktop replacements to be invaluable. My friends brother in law flies halfway across Canada every 2 weeks for work. He games a lot, more then me, but only does it when hes settled down with his gaming mouse and is plugged in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I have some pretty amazing luck. That laptop I ordered was discontinued a few days ago and they ran out. So I guess I'll have to upgrade the the Sager NP8662 :p

Same specs as the 2096, but with an Nvidia Geforce GTX 260M. Found out the 2096 was based off Compal, rather than Clevo. The 8662 is a Clevo though, so it should be good. Looking forward to some mobile PS2 gaming. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.