Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Im looking to buy a budget to mid range laptop and I'm looking at some of the gfx chips that some offer and don't have a clue as to how they compare with the desktops available. Can someone help. Im looking at ATI 7000, 9000 and 9700 on offer. I have a ATI Radeon 9600 XT 256mb in my desktop. Can you give me some idea of how they would compare or if they are similar to a 9200SE or something?

Cheers

Tonyyeb

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
well generally, you'll get basically the same performance. Like this ... Desktop 9600pro and a laptop version of a 9600pro. In most cases the desktop counterparts will always be a little faster in fps, but nothing you would really notice. A 9200SE wouldn't really be worth your time. It lacks everything you would want probably :p If you're used to the speed of a 9600XT, than I would highly suggest to get the same level of performance, to try to find a laptop with a 9700 card in it. I knows nVidia makes cards too, about equal to the speeds of ATi's (if not better in some cases).

The problem is, is that a budget laptop or even mid-range won't usually include a graphics card better than geforce 4 or Radeon 9000. So ig you want a gaming laptop expect to pay a fair amount more, just for that feature.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Just don't get stuck with intel graphics card like my friend did :lol: . If you ever wanna get midrange laptop with 9600 look at Emachine laptop like this one:$1499.99
http://www.e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6810
It has alot of power since its powered by Amd64 with Radeon 9600 64mb.
Anything else better your likely to pay more than $2000.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
remember that whatever you end up getting, you will most likely be stuck with. so get the absolute best that you can possibly afford so it will last you at least a few years. i have a laptop that was top-of-the-line 6 years ago and it is absolutely worthless now. the only exceptions to this rule that i can think of are some of the alienware and dell xps gaming laptops that offer a upgradeable video card.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
INCA said:
Just don't get stuck with intel graphics card like my friend did :lol: . If you ever wanna get midrange laptop with 9600 look at Emachine laptop like this one:$1499.99
http://www.e4me.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6810
It has alot of power since its powered by Amd64 with Radeon 9600 64mb.
Anything else better your likely to pay more than $2000.
thats the one my wife got and it's a pretty sweet laptop

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Yea. I would love to get an alienware, but damn they are pricy :p I was looking at how much my top of the line laptop cost when I got it in 1999 and it was $2600.00! Now it is basically worthless. Only really good for e mail :p

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
Razor Blade said:
well generally, you'll get basically the same performance. Like this ... Desktop 9600pro and a laptop version of a 9600pro. In most cases the desktop counterparts will always be a little faster in fps, but nothing you would really notice.
There are some exceptions for this rule. The Mobility 9700 is actually closer a 9600, since it has 4 pipelines instead of 8 of the desktop 9700.

However, the Mobility 9800 has all 8 pipes, so it's significantly faster than previous chips. Anyway, try to get at least a 128MB Mobility 9600 if you are interested in playing games on that notebook.

FYI, I have the 4080, which is almost identical to this one but with a M10 instead of a M11:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/pages/notebooks/product.cfm?ProductType=4380

I've had it for about 10 months now and I'm extremely happy with it.

[]s Badaro

Edit: Here's an interesting link
http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=98&var2=0

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
radeon mobility 9800 is based off of the x800 chip. While the radeon 9700 iirc is based off of the 9600.

I think toms hardware and anandtech did excellent reports on this subject as well.

·
No People, No Problems
648 Posts
Well if you are not in a real hurry to get a laptop i would suggest waiting for the nvidia MXM cards, yo can get a laptop with an entry level card and upgrade it later.
Else i suggest someting based of ati MR 9600 or nvidia gffx 5700.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Wicked computer! :thumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts