Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I searched for a general FAQ about this or threads about minimum requirements, but was unsuccesful so I'm asking it now.

What are the minimal requirments I need to get ePSXe running on my laptop? I had downloaded this about 3 years ago and tried to play GT2 and MGS on my Dell 8200, but I only got as far as the menu screen, however it did work on my super slow desktop.

Coming back here after a couple years, I'm really hoping, I'll be able to play games on it now. I was also wondering what controllers you guys used to play your games. I bought one of those usb ps2 controller adapter things, but that never went anywhere so i'm thinking abou getting one of Logitechs PS2 controllers for PC. Do you guys something better because I hate the feel of "gamepads" but love my Playstation controller.

Also, reading through others thread, I saw that people are saving the ISO's on their hdd and playing them like that. That's awesome! Is it as simple as just creating a normal ISO of the game and just loading it into ePSXe??

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
What are the minimal requirments I need to get ePSXe running on my laptop?
haha, that's a funny sentence :p anyway the system requirements for ePSXe are pretty low. post up your system specs and we'll recommend some plugins for you.

I bought one of those usb ps2 controller adapter things, but that never went anywhere so i'm thinking abou getting one of Logitechs PS2 controllers for PC.
o rly? well, i love my USB PSX adapter (i use a PSone controller). i have the Logitech Dual Action, and it's nice for games like NFSU2, but for emulation, its the USB adapter all the way. what problems did you have?

Is it as simple as just creating a normal ISO of the game and just loading it into ePSXe??
pretty much, you just have to make it right. dont use Nero!! the thread about making ISOs is super old, but it's still valid. the top program nowadays is Alcohol 120%. if you use that, just make sure you select the cloneCD format. or just use the original program, CloneCD! I heard ISObuster is good as well.

·
Back to regular business
3,317 Posts
My laptop (Pentium M 1.7MHz with mRadeon9700) plays PSX games pretty well, too. Depending on your gfx card and/or processing power you might want to try a software graphics plugin instead of a hardware accelerated one.

P.S.: A 2.2GHz P4 as you have should be more than enough. On the other hand, I'm not sure about your mobilityRadeon 9000...

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
oh yeah i forgot to mention, when you're doing emulation, make sure to plug your computer in (the power) or at least turn off the power saving features.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the quick replys!

For my system specs, I have:
Pentium M 2.13
2gb ram
256mb geforce ultra
and only a little under 25gb of empty hdd space.

Will I have any problems playing games with an M and not P4? You mentioned about plugins to pick up?

For my usb adapter, I got it on ebay from someone in Hong Kong. It was a clear blue one and it said it supported Dual shock and all. I believe it had two controller connections at the end and used only 1 usb port. When I plugged it in, the 'start' red LED's would turn on and off by depressing which is the only thing I could get to work on it, but my laptop wouldn't pick up on it no matter what I did with ePSXe. Could you recommend me your adapter?

I have heard that Alchohol 120% a few times now and I guess I'm a totally confirmed newb because I thought everyone was joking around saying "yeah throw some alchohol onto your pc." lol, sorry, now I know. hahaha. good laugh. I'm definately going to download that. I was honestly quite satisfied with just lugging all my games around, but now that's a total plus!

You mentioned to keep it plugged in or to disable the power saving features. Are emulators power hungry?

Okay I guess I asked a lot of questions. Appreciate the replies, guys. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
You mentioned to keep it plugged in or to disable the power saving features. Are emulators power hungry?
yep. what your laptop does to conserve battery, is clock itself down to like 500mhz on the fly. it doesnt know that ePSXe is there (thinks you're just idling in Word or something), clocks it down to 500mhz, and ePSXe freaks out and your computer freezes.

Could you recommend me your adapter?
im using one i bought at in an electronics store in Japan, the brand is Elecom. you can check lik-sang.com, they ship worldwide.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
you're an idiot, just read the forums for like 5 minutes and you'll get an idea of where to start. from your first two posts it seems like you downloaded some ISOs and you're just on the fast track to playing games the slacker way. you are now being watched ;)

go here first and then here.

and next time, don't jack someone else's thread with a completely off topic post.

if you still need help, make your own thread. but PLEASE read those two threads well, SEARCH before you make your own thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.