Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First of all, I'd like to thank the team who created desmume! It is an AMAZING emulator! It looks great, and it's got some GREAT functions!

Having said that, I am having issues with the emulator lagging...no matter what game I am playing! I do not know why that is the case...could anybody please help me? Is it the emulator, or is my computer not powerful enough to handle it?

Currently my computer has the following:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+ 2.20GHz
2GB RAM
Win7 Ultimate x86
Nvidia GeForce 8600GT 256MB

Not sure if those information will help you determine my situation, but maybe it can.

Thanks in advance!

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
Your cpu is too slow to run desmume flawlessly. All you can do is follow the speedup guide in the faq and deal with a bit of chop. You can convert lag to chop by using frameskip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok, thank you very much! May I ask what motherboard would you guys recommend to get rid of this issue? I have been looking into a new motherboard for a long time now, for various different reasons, and this has just given me another reason to get a new one.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It's a processor, not the motherboard, which you should get, but if your motherboard doesn't support the processor installed, buy a new motherboard.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Just to reiterate so you properly understand this time. Your CPU/Processor is too slow (DeSmuME prefers closer to 3Ghz). However in your case your motherboard is too old to support a new processor as well so essentially you need an entirely new system (as your RAM is also too old to work with the new motherboard that your new processor will need), the only thing you can reuse are the graphics card (if it's a PCI-E x16 card) and your hard drive and DVD drive, everything else needs to be replaced.
In other words you need an entirely new computer...just replacing one bit or another is not going to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, that is what I meant earlier when I said that I wanted a new motherboard, because I know my motherboard is too old to support any good CPU now. In any case, thanks a lot for all your inputs, suggestions and recommendations! You guys have been a LOT of help!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You're welcome, and I hope that you come back to Emuforums! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with some lag but I dont get it because my comp is good. 4gb of RAM,Intel Core Duo 2.4 GHz Video card Nvidia 9600 ... and I just dont get it why the games (All Castlevania games) are kinda slow ... They run perfect on No$gba 2.6a :( but this emulator have more tools :( pls help if you can :)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Try using frameskipping. xD

·
Registered
2 Posts
With frameskipping I managed to run the all 3 Castlevania games there is only lag when I first enter the caste and then the Worgs are dying. I use Limit Framerate and Auto skip (max 9). One more thing Can someone give me link to the topic where can I find information about the build in avi recorder cuz I have trouble with that too :( the recording slows my game like hell and the clips are very very very big :/

·
desmume coder
488 Posts
Can someone give me link to the topic where can I find information about the build in avi recorder cuz I have trouble with that too :( the recording slows my game like hell and the clips are very very very big :/
You should record a dsm movie while you play and then generate the avi while replaying that dsm. Then it doesnt matter much the avi dumping slows down emulation.

·
DesMuMe Bug Catcher
80 Posts
With frameskipping I managed to run the all 3 Castlevania games there is only lag when I first enter the caste and then the Worgs are dying. I use Limit Framerate and Auto skip (max 9). One more thing Can someone give me link to the topic where can I find information about the build in avi recorder cuz I have trouble with that too :( the recording slows my game like hell and the clips are very very very big :/
The clip size is simple to fix, use an encoder like DivX, Xvid or x264. The problem is that the compression takes some cycles to CPU and make busy the HD so it's normal that slow down, and is worse if you have a single core CPU. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.