Next Generation Emulation banner

Kyro Video Card = No FMV

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  vivrantpig 
#1 ·
I just bought a Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT in the hopes that it would run ePSXe with a few more details than my aging Riva TNT. It doesn't run OpenGL so well, Pete's D3D plugin works beautifully. Except for 2 games. Final Fantasy IX, and Parasite Eve. The FMV in all games runs strangely unless I turn off MDEC filtering. It doesn't render the leftmost quarter of the screen, and puts the rightmost quarter in its place. This is very annoying. It means that I have a break in my screen, where it displays the same image twice. Turning off MDEC filtering allowed all the games except for Parasite Eve and Final Fantasy IX to run nicely. In these two games, the FMV is merely black. I can still hear it running, but I get no picture.

I am using the latest drivers for my card, but nothing really seems to work right. Is anyone else having these problems?

Discussion starter · #10 ·
ok, I have found some workarounds.

Unfiltered MDECs seem to be required for proper playback.

Parasite Eve works with Pete's D3D 1.53
Final Fantasy IX works if you enable swap front/back detection

The fix for FFIX allows the FMV to run, but it is slightly choppy. Much like the FMV in Chrono Trigger. However, it does allow you to see what is going on, and I think that is valuable. I tried the soft GPU plugin and it works great, but I like a higher polygon count. I bought a new video vard to make the games look nicer. Maybe we can hope that FF9 is fixed with the next release. Have a good one.

Discussion starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sorry for the long wait in a reply. I am a bit embarrassed, but the game does not work at well at all. The FMV works though. For what it is worth. Use the soft driver in the meantime. I am seriously thinking about selling this piece of %#@* video card, and buying a Geforce2. But NOOOooo... I had to be cheap.

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.53
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: 3D Prophet 4000XT

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 0
- Caching: 2

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 4
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: software

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: off
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: off [00000208]

Video Drivers:

Hercules 8.162

I am a bit embarrassed about not using the PowerVR drivers, but they seem to work good, and have the same version number, so I don't think it matters. The only other game I have problems with is Jane's USAF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.