Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen much (actually no) talk of Linux on here thus far. So allow me to introduce Knoppix. Knoppix is a Live CD version of Linux, you can use it as a main OS, or as a recovery Item, alot of people use it for that and everything inbetween. I personally use it as a recovery tool for people's broken POS PCs (I build PCs, and sometimes end up repairing other peoples). Knoppix uses the KDE GUI and looks very pretty. What's so great about it is the fact that it's a Live CD so you can use it on any PC without having to install it on the HDD! Infact you can run it on any computer with a CD-ROM drive. I've used it on PCs at schools and even on my friend's iBook (thanks to the "failsafe" command).

If you'd like to have a little fun in Linux, but don't know where to start, Knoppix is definetly the place to go. It's also great for trying out some fantastic Open Source software (since it's all built directly into the CD) like xChat, Open Office, and even Gaim.

You can learn more about and download Knoppix here:
http://www.knoppix.org/

·
Registered
181 Posts
Knoppix is one of my fav live cd's. I use it when ever my friend messes up his copy of XP. I just can't wait for Fedora Core 4 testing to begin.

·
Whats Up Doc!
1,232 Posts
Yeah Knoppix is very good. If you want more linux live cd try searching for them here. The best live cd according to distrowatch.com is Knoppix, MEPIS Linux, PCLinuxOS, SLAX and Damn Small Linux.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I tried some live cd's but I ended up downloading Mandrake 10.1 and just doing a partition. It just seems smoother to me.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
I like Mepis better because of its nicer looking interface :lol:
And its support for NTFS and wma...

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hi mates, I'm probably jumping this thread but it's Linux so :)
I wonder is there any other distro that uses Gentoo way of installing things? "aptget" IIRC I find that most important (It needs to have plenty packages to download as well not just a few) :) I tried Linux at least 10 times and always ended up uninstalling it because I couldn't install this or that (mostly emulators)
I can't dream about installing gentoo... tried 2 times no go, so I'm in search of a easier to install and just as easy to maintain distro :)

If I just could use my comp for something else than games :/ I would surely learn Linux :(

·
Registered
511 Posts
kof2k said:
Knoppix is one of my fav live cd's. I use it when ever my friend messes up his copy of XP. I just can't wait for Fedora Core 4 testing to begin.
What do you do with it really ? Just to backup files or ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts