Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve Snake coughed up a new version of what is only the greatest Sega Genesis / 32X / CD / Master System / Game Gear emulator in existence.

Changes made of those he remembered since 3.4:
history.txt said:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kega Fusion v3.51 (C) Steve Snake 2006

Whats New ?
-----------

Quick Update:

* Fixed Netplay Connection issue.

* Fixed Netplay Dialogs in Fullscreen mode.

* Config of Player 1 (the Host) is now copied to other players in Netplay.

* Re-added another deleted line, the sound effects in Ecco work again.

* Fixed a Timing issue, Street Racer works again.

* Fixed DMA issue with Powermonger.

* Fixed SMS NMI issue.

That's all for now,

Snake.

Kega Fusion v3.5 (C) Steve Snake 2006

Whats New ?
-----------

Lots of stuff that I did months ago, and now have completely forgotten...
However here is the stuff that I remember doing.

* Rewrites to lots of Genesis and 32X side stuff. Should fix things I broke
in 3.4, and is very slightly faster. Hopefully nothing is broken.

* Re-added one line of ASM to the 32X emulation which must have gotten
deleted a long time ago. Now disolveable objects in Chaotix work again.

* Fixed the SegaCD Fader.

* Fusion now supports more MP3 formats than Winamp does - i.e. all of them.
44100Hz Stereo is still recommended, but not neccessary.

* Seeking within MP3s works now. Not sure about VBR files though.

* Blackthorne 32X sound glitch fixed - it now performs exactly as on real
hardware.

* Controller config rewrite. You can now define directions for controllers
as well as buttons.

* VGM Log now logs VGM1.10 format files, which should be much smaller. You
can change back to VGM1.01 if you need to by editing the VGM_Version
setting in the INI file. (16,1 for VGM1.10, 1,1 for VGM1.01)

* Added 'ForceSWBuffer' sound compatibility option. This is set to 1 by
default because this is the preferred option. However if you are getting
no sound (due to buggy drivers), or your framerate fluctuates for no
reason, you can try setting this to 0.

* Drag and drop support added.

* Brighten option for those that prefer a slightly brighter palette.

* Preliminary Netplay support. You MUST read the README.TXT to learn how to
use this feature.

LOTS more stuff - if you find something, please tell me ;)

Happy new year!

Snake.
Note that some render plugins might now render erroneously, due to not having followed certain necessary guidelines Steve Snake had posed for writing one. On SEF, he has offered to fix any if he gets his hands on the sources.

No more copyrighted BIOS files, so get it at Eidolon's:
http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Kega, banzai~~!

Hehe, love that emu :)

Yours,
-E

·
カラム
365 Posts
Cool, I'll try it and if it's better than Gens, I'll use it.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Depends how clued up you are on various harder to emulate Megadrive games. Kega has much higher compatibility (only 2 Genesis games known have bugs or not work, one because of a unemulated custom chip, an incredible achievement for an LLE emulator), and the 32x and Sega CD emulation is much more accurate than Gens, and Kega has CD+32X support which no other emulator does. The 32x emulation in Kega does not require the 32x BIOS files. The sound is hardware accurate, and Steve has years of experience on this. Kega also supports more systems (Master System, Sega SG-1000, SC-3000, GameGear) and they are very accurately emulated as well.

Kega also now has much more features than Gens, like graphics plugins (there are more than 18 rendering plugins available) and support for many resolutions. Gens supports just 2 very low resolutions (320x240, 640x480) which is not ideal for LCD displays in particular like my 16:9 laptop where those resolutions are non-native. Now Kega even has working ZSNES-like Netplay which does not use Kaillera (which is a plus). Kega is almost perfect, yet still recieves many updates, whereas Gens's progress is restricted to beta testers.

The list goes on.

Stef is re-writing Gens in order to improve it, and perhaps it will be as good compatibility-wise to Kega.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Gens Plus is a modification of Gens, so carries over all the inate problems of the Gens code. It does add more features making it comparable to Kega, but only in features. The original Gens had 32x and Sega CD support as well, so this was not introduced with Gens Plus.

Gens Plus will still have a lot of bugs carried over from Gens, whereas Kega is only known to not work properly with about 2 games. Kega Bughunters more commonly find bugs in the actual games themselves than in the actual emulator - a testament to it's almost perfect accuracy.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
clouds bro said:
What makes it better than Gens for you??
They both run the games EXACTLY the same for me....
That's pretty much an insult to Kega Fusion. ;P Everything is exactly as Clements has said. Its accuracy is astounding, and if you've ever owned a Megadrive / Genesis yourself, the sound should be an immediate testament to its superiority. Even Stef thinks Gens is inferior to Fusion. While this has been true in accuracy for quite a while, it's now true feature-wise as well, even compared to many modifications of Gens.

Not that Steve Snake and Stef, or their emulators, compete.

Clements said:
Kega has CD+32X support which no other emulator does.
To clarify for those who don't know, Clements refers to the Sega/Mega CD games that make use of the 32X.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Clements said:
Depends how clued up you are on various harder to emulate Megadrive games. Kega has much higher compatibility (only 2 Genesis games known have bugs or not work, one because of a unemulated custom chip, an incredible achievement for an LLE emulator), and the 32x and Sega CD emulation is much more accurate than Gens, and Kega has CD+32X support which no other emulator does. The 32x emulation in Kega does not require the 32x BIOS files. The sound is hardware accurate, and Steve has years of experience on this. Kega also supports more systems (Master System, Sega SG-1000, SC-3000, GameGear) and they are very accurately emulated as well.

Kega also now has much more features than Gens, like graphics plugins (there are more than 18 rendering plugins available) and support for many resolutions. Gens supports just 2 very low resolutions (320x240, 640x480) which is not ideal for LCD displays in particular like my 16:9 laptop where those resolutions are non-native. Now Kega even has working ZSNES-like Netplay which does not use Kaillera (which is a plus). Kega is almost perfect, yet still recieves many updates, whereas Gens's progress is restricted to beta testers.

The list goes on.

Stef is re-writing Gens in order to improve it, and perhaps it will be as good compatibility-wise to Kega.
There's a bit of exagerration on your part:
- more then 2 games are not working properly. (But most of those include unlicensed games with costum hardware in them.)
- AGES has cd+32x support I think. Or Xega does. I don't know, one of those. Either way, Kega was not the first to support it, but its certainly the best to support them.
- Sound is not hardware accurate, thats something that would be close to impossible to achieve. Kega is still lightyears ahead of Gens considering sound, for both regular Megadrive games and for every 32x game using the 32x sound hardware (PWM is much more accurate, and the YM2612 is tons better - check out Spiderman Animated Series in both emulators).
- While Kega is full of features, it still lacks some basic things like a pause button. And many other things that developers could find use of (debugger). Many of these are luxury items though, for gaming Kega has all you need.
- Gens doesn't even have new beta versions released. And the beta that exists is actually worse then the existing 2.12 version.

On the other hand, you missed out that Kega doesn't need ASPI, can run bin/cue Mega CD images not just the iso/mp3 turd that Gens uses, properly formats and stores the Mega CD Battery-backed and cartridge RAM files (one other thing that Gens totally messed up), PAR support, display of overscan area, and so on.

Gens wasn't being actively developed in the past 2 or 3 years, is outdated and old. Kega on the other hand has much better compatibility while maintaining the same speed and is also more up-to-date and will plain work better.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I recognize the fact that Fusion is technically better than Gens, but 99% of the people out there using Genesis/etc. emulators are never going to tell the difference. All they care about is the games they want to play will work, and those games are going to be Sonic 3, Shining Force 2, etc. and not the couple obscure games.

And for the record, there are a lot of things wrong with Fusion when compared to emulators like ZSNES, Pj64, ePSXe, etc such as the controller configuration, cheats, verbose alt menu, etc. Most of these things are pretty much the same as Gens, so they're not exactly innovating a lot.

·
Registered
401 Posts
lol "Not exactly innovating alot"

Wow, granted most emulation newbs are just going to be interested in sonic 3 etc, but you have to look at the purpose of emulation, which is to emulate a console on another device as closely and as accurately as possible. Fusion does this better than any other genesis emulator. Period.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I believe that at least half of the people that have LCD monitors will use Fusion just because of the multiple resolutions it supports. Other Genesis emulators support resolutions only up to 640x480 which looks either too small (centered) or ugly (streched) to LCD monitors.
Fusion also supports some emulation modes that other emulators do not (Sega CD+32X mode). The compatibility of Fusion is also better than other Genesis emulators which is good for people that want to play specific games.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
You mean should add the word "old" to your LCD monitor statement. You know, most laptops don't have any problems with low resolutions at all.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
There is a "blur" effect on all of the LCD monitors when they output every resolution streched except if it's their native (non streched) resolution.
There are various techniques to reduce the blurring but there is always some of it left. This is worst if you use a widescreen LCD monitor with aspect ratio other than 4:3 or 5:4.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's funny, I was using Gens32 at my laptop's 1680x1050 resolution just fine. It would be nice to at least do your homework before declaring what emulators can and cannot do, and what people with LCD screens do and do not prefer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.