Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gamecube rocks!!!... Playing mine now and RL is freking awesome!!!!!!!..... I think Sony and MS aren't in anyway giving Gamecube it's due's...They better watch or Nintendo will bite them on the ass and take the lead.....

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
agreed... i think M$ is full of it with their shitty Xbox... DIE XBOX DIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dead: :dead: :dead:

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Isn't Rouge Leader GREAT?! I played the demo 5 times when I first saw it :heh:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Originally posted by dpence
Gamecube rocks!!!... Playing mine now and RL is freking awesome!!!!!!!..... I think Sony and MS aren't in anyway giving Gamecube it's due's...They better watch or Nintendo will bite them on the ass and take the lead.....
doubt it...

maybe x box will take the lead...or maybe not!!!
:confused:

well probably ps2 stay on the lead...

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
what do you think guys if modified amd proc( + bandwith) is in the xbox
i read this thingy that m$ first choice for proc is amd but intel appear and offer a lower price

·
Registered
965 Posts
The PS2 will remain in the lead, the main focus right now is the fight for #2..

And don't think the rushjob that is the Xbox is going to take that position anytime soon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
While the Xbox may not have much software going for it right now and maybe not as much support as Sony, I must say that Halo is the second coming. Its too much fun. Too bad I can only play it at my friend's house, dammit I don't have $700 to buy a box. That and DOA3 are a pretty good bundle if you're buying from EB.

Since MS needing 9 games per system to break even on costs (so I hear), they must be pretty sure of themselves. Honestly, I see Sony fading away to #2 this generation and Nintendo repeating an N64 market performance. All MS really needs to do is get more software support (Square?) since they already have the most robust hardware. But of course, I could be completly wrong.

Has anyone tried both GC and Xbox? If so what are your comparitive opinions? By that I mean not a direct comparison of games but more of an overall opinion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only way I would ever get a gamecube is if square develops for them. Gamecube already has my resident evils, just wish it can get the final fantasys. As for Xbox, **** it. I will never buy anything from Microsoft except of course my shitty Operating System(Dont have much of a choice).

S

·
0 Posts
I agree w/CD. I don't see either Game Cube or X-Box taking number 1 away from PS2. Sure they are both new and the have some great games out, right now, for them. But do they have the staying power to keep people interested? Sony has proven tim and time again that they do have the staying power, first w/the PSX and now w/PS2. So only time will tell. But for now, let's not be having any "console wars" on these boards shall we? Thanks.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
2,412 Posts
Hey, sxamiga: One of my co-workers recently told me that the only system he'll ever own is an NES. He'll never buy anything else. How's that for old-school? He's a total sports gamer, & I'm thinkin' these new systems may pull him away from this . . . aficionado ;). What do you think?

S

·
0 Posts
They may. I've heard that there are quite a few great sports games out for all three systems. He might also want to check out the Sega Genesis (yes I know, that one is also "old school" now, but at least it's new than the 8-bit Nintendo) there were many many great sports games released for that console. Maybe you could mention one of the new systems or, possibly, the Genesis to him and see what he thinks. It's worth a shot.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
2,412 Posts
Thanks, sxamiga. I'd hate to see a gamer stuck in the past like that. He said he only likes the older stuff 'cause they were simpler than newer games. And you could outrun your opponents in football ;).

·
Registered
462 Posts
I wouldn't really say Sony has proven themselves time and time again. They've really only had one system the PS1 to date that has been a #1 console. (the PS2 is likely to be this generations #1 console, but a lot can change with the release of the 2 new systems) Nintendo looked just as dominant as Sony after the NES and SNES, but the console industry can change on a dime. Having said that though, I think the PS2 is likely to stay in the lead, they've just got too big of a lead in terms of user base, but you never know...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'd say the PS2 will continue to dominate, followed by the XBox and then the GC. Why?

PS2:
Fantastic games. MGS2, FFX are just two examples. Not to mention it's already well-established and has a proven track record in terms of game quality.

XBox:
Has the "ultimate console" factor. If people want to buy a system purely to show off and got the power trip, they'll get an XBox. Not to mention it will probably appeal much more to the main buying audience because of its more mature games. Not saying it's a good system, however.

GC:
Not much going for this one, besides nice graphics and a $100 less price. Can't play DVDs or CDs like the others can. The games won't appeal to the biggest console audience (seriously, how many adults bought Pokemon Stadium?) Can't deny the appeal of RL, but it seems like a bright light among several duds.

Of course, I'm basing this only off the 30 seconds or so I spent playing XBox and GC at Best Buy.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Originally posted by Neo_ZX
While the Xbox may not have much software going for it right now and maybe not as much support as Sony, I must say that Halo is the second coming. Its too much fun. Too bad I can only play it at my friend's house, dammit I don't have $700 to buy a box. That and DOA3 are a pretty good bundle if you're buying from EB.

Since MS needing 9 games per system to break even on costs (so I hear), they must be pretty sure of themselves. Honestly, I see Sony fading away to #2 this generation and Nintendo repeating an N64 market performance. All MS really needs to do is get more software support (Square?) since they already have the most robust hardware. But of course, I could be completly wrong.

Has anyone tried both GC and Xbox? If so what are your comparitive opinions? By that I mean not a direct comparison of games but more of an overall opinion.
Yes...I now officially own both (Seems they thought x-box was a good X-mas present and gave it early)
I personally so far much prefer gameCube...the controller is better and the system has an over all great feel.
X-Box, on the other hand, feels dirty (in that I mean, it's a PC in sheeps clothing, and that's what it feels like.)

Game wise, Halo sucks (Another boring FP shooter That suffers major slowdown), Munch's Oddysee is ok, but nothing out of the ordinary. Gotham racing is nothing special (The cars might have refelections, but the shading is terrible, they look like paper cutouts)

On the Gamecube side, RL rules!!!, Luigi's Mansion is also very fun...I've heard it is short and that may be, but it's also pretty difficult, so the fun factor is still there. Monkey ball is awesome...A bit of Marble madness mixed with putt-putt golf, very adictive.

Graphically the Game cube wins hands down, ATI is unmatched in visual quality. the X-Box (And nVidia) suffers badly from washed out colors that , again, reminds me of my PC and Geforce 2 card.

All in All I recommend Gamecube, X-Box is over priced and nothing special.

Oh and one last tidbit. The Great Microsoft lie!!!
X-Box DOES NOT use a PIII CPU, it uses a moble Celeron, slightly modified. (no wonder Halo drops frames)

·
Registered
462 Posts
MGS2 and FFX aren't just two examples of quality games on the PS2, they're pretty much the only examples (and of the two I've only played MGS2, FFX could turn out to be another dissappointment like FF9 though I'm hoping it won't). Having owned the system for about a year now and buying a load of games, the vast majority of the games have been real disappointments on the PS2. I even found Gran Turismo 3 to be somewhat boring, sure it had nice graphics but its gameplay is too similar to the first two, and it isn't all that fun. If I didn't already own a PS2 I might consider an Xbox, as for Gamecube I might get one because it has an attractive price and the games I've seen for it to date aren't nearly as pixelated as the mess I get on my PS2.

In my opinion the PS2 isn't really the better system (and from what I've seen it's probably the worst graphically of the 3), it's just that a lot of people like myself already have one and we're stuck with it, and that's what gives it the one up on the Xbox and Gamecube.

S

·
0 Posts
I see one interesting point here, about the nvidia chip. I have a gf2mx myself, and while it does what it's supposed to, I dont find it as good as my voodoo2 used to be. Also, voodoo5 and radeon screenshots look better to me most of the time. I think gamecube has an ati chip, right? so, i wouldnt be surprised if the GC would look nicer, just because of that.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Originally posted by Particleman
MGS2 and FFX aren't just two examples of quality games on the PS2, they're pretty much the only examples (and of the two I've only played MGS2, FFX could turn out to be another dissappointment like FF9 though I'm hoping it won't). Having owned the system for about a year now and buying a load of games, the vast majority of the games have been real disappointments on the PS2. I even found Gran Turismo 3 to be somewhat boring, sure it had nice graphics but its gameplay is too similar to the first two, and it isn't all that fun. If I didn't already own a PS2 I might consider an Xbox, as for Gamecube I might get one because it has an attractive price and the games I've seen for it to date aren't nearly as pixelated as the mess I get on my PS2.

In my opinion the PS2 isn't really the better system (and from what I've seen it's probably the worst graphically of the 3), it's just that a lot of people like myself already have one and we're stuck with it, and that's what gives it the one up on the Xbox and Gamecube.
While I wish myself for the GC to take the crown, this is not true.. developer's standpoints at the moment are that the PS2 can push more polys than the Xbox, etc.

The two games you listed.. I don't even regard FFX as one of the 'great' games for PS2. But that's another rant althogether :) Great titles like Devil May Cry, Grand Theft Auto 3, and Metal Gear Solid 2 are just starting to come out. Most will agree the PS2 sucked for quite some time, but in recent months, titles being released have improved by leaps and bounds..

And besides, realistically, nothing's going to topple it market-wise.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts