Next Generation Emulation banner

Just Plain Ol' Playing FFVIII with 1.7.0

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jblanch91 
#1 · (Edited)
I have brought this up briefly in other threads, but I cannot seem to play FFVIII in 1.7.0 at all. It works perfectly fine in 1.6.0, but for the sake of using the latest version, I wanted to jump to 1.7.0.

I use the exact same settings as in 1.6.0, but when I use those settings in 1.7.0, while I can start up the game, etc., it goes to a black screen and just sits there forever whenever I try to walk into another screen, or get in a battle, etc.

Also, I try to limit the frame rate to 200 FPS (my preferred method) but with the frame limiter on, I get 60 FPS, and with it off, I get 500+ FPS. There is no happy medium, which there is in 1.6.0 when using the same settings.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Okay, I kinda jumped the gun with my post, sorry.

I played around with everything some more and I was able to get it to work more or less fine.

However, I still have the frame-limiting issue. I cannot get it to stay at 200 FPS.

Any advice? Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sound is enabled. And I'm using the ePSXe CDR WNT/W2K core 1.7.0. CD-ROM plugin.

Still, I cannot seem to solve the problem and I feel like I have tried every possible combination of options with the FPS. It's just weird, as it works fine in 1.6.0, but not 1.7.0. That frame limiter seems to be the issue.

I guess the question is: for all of you that can run the game at a FPS of your choosing with 1.7.0, how do you do it?

Thank you.

#4 ·
First, use Eternal SPU as your SPU plugin and set buffer size to 40, SPU Async mode and Smooth. If the last option is set to Wait, it will function the same as a frame limiter.

Make sure your GPU plugin is set to use the specified FPS limit. (in your case, 200fps)

Start the game and press press F4, then press delete and a little menu will pop up. Press Home/End until the FL (frame limiter) field is set to "1". That's it! Check out the attached pic to get an idea of what you will be looking at.

View attachment 207661

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.