Next Generation Emulation banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
Crysis came out a 1 1/2 years ago.
So what if it is?
RAP is saying Crysis can't run smooth. That video shows that not only can it run smooth, it's *been* running smooth on hardware that is practically a year old. Part of the "anti PC-ism" mindset is that "it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work for anyone and it's obviously horribly broken." I've had this vitriol spewed about Vista, an OS I have barely any issues with since it was released. Insert the typical "It doesn't do that here" response. My PCs run everything I throw at them smoothly and reliably, using stock parts without any fancy tweaking or overclocking or anything.

The Mac fanboyism is very bothersome. I own a Mac, so I can really discuss it from the perspective some someone directly affected by it. All I have to do is tell someone I own a Mac and I am promptly thrown into that fanboy category, despite not being a fanboy at all. My Macbook Pro is cool, but it's just a laptop. A mediocre performing laptop that can't even have a hard drive upgrade without voiding the warranty. My Sager sits on my desk and is my regular "use" machine which I am using right now to post this. My Macbook Pro is sitting in a bag on the other side of the room where it's been for the last few weeks. I break it out to update it and see if there's anything new for it that I care about, but for the most part it's a paperweight and toy. The hardware isn't magically better, or faster, or drastically different than a PC. It's PC parts tweaked by Apple more to make them Apple-only rather than to improve on them.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
I'm saying Crysis would lag and stutter regardless. Not that it can't run smooth. Well, because I did run that friggin' game at over 60fps on high settings... so I really can't say that it can't run smooth.

And you're using a desktop-replacement basically. It's not a laptop.

I just don't get why people buy a "laptop" or "notebook" just so they can put it on their desks. oO

I mean... why bother? Just get a desktop then. For $1000, you can pretty much grab a quad-core computer with like... the latest or semi-latest graphics card, some hefty amount of RAM and yadda, yadda. Then overclock the hell out of the system and enjoy almost stutter-free gaming. (it's smooth but it stutters. Occasionally... because of many factors) My main computer is an extremely underpowered system. Even though I do have on my desk what could be considered a monster in disguise.

(p.s.: Yeah, Phil... I updated it to the point that performance machines bore me... :evil:)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,553 Posts
My lappy is a desktop replacement, but I actually use it as such. It's like having a highly portable desktop that you can just pack up and carry in a tote bag or backpack.

Using it as a general purpose on-the-go computing solution isn't something that I would recommend though, as it's heavy enough to cut off circulation to your legs if you actually put it in your lap.

I've thought about purchasing an EEE PC and building a new desktop, but with the way the hardware industry is now, I'm going to hold off until around the time Windows 7 officially hits the shelves. The reason being that next-gen video cards will be available as well as some up-and-coming new standards (USB3.0). I don't want to buy a new computer now only to realize that I probably should have waited to get a better deal. (either by purchasing brand new hardware or getting a great deal on the "last-gen" products) My laptop isn't broke, so I'll continue to use it as a pseudo desktop.

As for why I even bought it in the first place; I was enlisted in the Navy up until June of last year. The computers onboard a ship are pretty underpowered (Dell) and not only that, they're on a network domain as workstations. I had a computer in my shop that operated the engraving machine and it wasn't on the network. It was a step up from the workstations, but was pretty weak too.

I decided to purchase a desktop replacement because it fulfilled all of my needs. I could do my video encoding, gaming, emulation, DVD player, NES/Genesis/SNES/N64/PSX/PS2... I finally had something I could actually do in my free time. It also kept me sane throughout 2 deployments...:rolleyes:

I know my reason is a very specific reason, but I think other people's reasonings are generally the same. (can't access/own a desktop but can have a laptop) Other that these reasons, there really isn't any reason to own a desktop replacement. More than likely, the mentality of the individual during the purchase was, "I got to have the best", without researching the downsides of owning such a system.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Rap, it's on you swashbuckling gangster. bring it son. If your not packing at least a GTX285 with a Q9650, then go home:p

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Made short... (sorry)
Sounds good enough. Though I still wonder... why you want to do so much when you're in the navy? I doubt you have the time to finish all NES/SNES/etc... blah... games that you want to play. Lately, I barely find enough time to watch like... maybe a little bit of TV news, and then one movie per week.

I'm mostly on music, though. And maybe the net here because I have mobile network. Fast enough to send mails and stuffs. :p (actually got this just so I can chat with my girlfriend whenever possible)

Rap, it's on you swashbuckling gangster. bring it son. If your not packing at least a GTX285 with a Q9650, then go home:p
I'll reveal it when I'm free enough. Right now I'm knee-deep in coding projects and homeworks for college. :p

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,553 Posts
Sounds good enough. Though I still wonder... why you want to do so much when you're in the navy? I doubt you have the time to finish all NES/SNES/etc... blah... games that you want to play. Lately, I barely find enough time to watch like... maybe a little bit of TV news, and then one movie per week.

I'm mostly on music, though. And maybe the net here because I have mobile network. Fast enough to send mails and stuffs. :p (actually got this just so I can chat with my girlfriend whenever possible)
Floating around in the middle of the ocean causes peoples' minds to wander and you wind up getting bored easily. :/ The typical work day lasts from 0700 - 1800, so there's certainly time for recreation afterward. That in itself is the problem. For those few precious hours of "free-time" there's pretty much nothing to do. I'd usually just go to sleep, wake up the next morning, and do the same s**t the next day.

We had a huge HDTV on the mess decks which I used on the weekends to host video game tournaments on. I could also patch in to the wireless network to play Starcraft, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, etc.

Sometimes, people would ask me what kind of music I have and we would end up making a trade. Often times I helped people add to/edit their iPod playlists.

There was a collaboration video that a few of the guys put together, but they didn't have any of the proper software tools to make it into a good DVD. I lent a hand and crafted a menu, encoded the video, and burned it to disc. They made all of the requested copies on their own time to send to their families back home.

I even tried my hand at dabbling with C++ again, but decided for a second time that I still needed more practice. :lol:

All in all, my laptop helped to keep me busy. Both deployments were mind numbingly boring. The only good parts involved pulling in to foreign ports and partaking in the host countries' alcohol and women. ;)

61 - 66 of 66 Posts