Next Generation Emulation banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
band
4,912 Posts
I never had a problem with my old 97 Neon. That didn't mean I wasn't very enthusiastic about getting my new car.
Way to go being enthusiastic.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Just want to say ive only had 2 bsod on vista, all my fault entirly either beta software or stupid task manager task ending.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
My XP BSODs came from trying to remove a floppy disk while it was reading/writing. Those are the only ones I remember, anyways.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
The number one thing I gate about macs (besides their inability to run games and just about all the other software I like to use) is the huge premium you pay for inferior components...when I bought my system a Mac with a 2.4Ghz C2D and a 8600GT would have cost me more than my entire system including the extras like UPS and the TV card...a fair bit more, so much more in fact that if I had spent the same money on my PC as the price of the Mac then I would have gotten a 4870X2 instead of this GTX260.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
The number one thing I gate about macs (besides their inability to run games and just about all the other software I like to use) is the huge premium you pay for inferior components...when I bought my system a Mac with a 2.4Ghz C2D and a 8600GT would have cost me more than my entire system including the extras like UPS and the TV card...a fair bit more, so much more in fact that if I had spent the same money on my PC as the price of the Mac then I would have gotten a 4870X2 instead of this GTX260.
Well, just so you know, a Mac doesn't really have "conventional" components like those in PCs... so performance varies. :p So maybe a C2D in Mac could be beefier than your average C2D depending on which model it is.

But I admit there are some common components. :)

I'm kinda under the impression that Intel supply the Xeon lines to Macs because Macs are more well-known for being workstations rather than desktop computers.

And a Mac still has games. Actually, if you don't like the game selection you get on Mac, you can do bootcamp and run Windows then. Not like it "entirely" doesn't have games at all. For instance, you can get Doom 3, Call of Duty 4, WoW, Need For Speed Carbon, or Spore for Mac. All of which run natively on a Mac. ;)

In other news, Macs may get some good boost in gaming performance soon thanks to this:

ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Early 2009 or Early 2008) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Actually, beats me. It's already out. $350 a piece. :) Quite a hefty tag... but I think it's kinda worth it for Mac gaming.

Note that Mac displays can go up to 2560 x 1600... and that's quite an amount of pixels. ;p

P.S.: Admittedly... gaming on Macs work smoother than on Windows, too... in case you wonder. There's practically none of that "stutter" and "lag" and crazy errors and all those ****. It's just smooth in my opinions. Kinda like when you're playing on a console.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Well, just so you know, a Mac doesn't really have "conventional" components like those in PCs... so performance varies. :p So maybe a C2D in Mac could be beefier than your average C2D depending on which model it is.
WTF. This makes no sense. There's nothing special or magical about a C2D in a mac compared to the PC. It's the same damn cpu, same intel chipsets, same HD's, same optical devices, same video chipsets. The only difference in a mac is the motherboard. They make it proprietary with their retarded EFI so they can't get away with saying, "nuh-uh! we're not PCs! honest!" and so they can also make money on their ludicrously expensive upgrades.

But I admit there are some common components. :)
Yeah, like, all of them.

I'm kinda under the impression that Intel supply the Xeon lines to Macs because Macs are more well-known for being workstations rather than desktop computers.
What? Mac's target demographic is people using computers for personal reasons. They sell far more imacs and macbooks than anything else. Intel supplies mac and PC with xeons equally.

In other news, Macs may get some good boost in gaming performance soon thanks to this:

ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Early 2009 or Early 2008) - Apple Store (U.S.)
WOW!!! Sure wish PCs had that! Wait....

Actually, beats me. It's already out. $350 a piece. :) Quite a hefty tag... but I think it's kinda worth it for Mac gaming.
Yes. Let's pay more for the same damn card you can get for significantly less for the PC version.

Note that Mac displays can go up to 2560 x 1600... and that's quite an amount of pixels. ;p
Apple CINEMA displays can go up this high. They're extremely expensive and you can find equivalent LCDs for less money with other, better brands. Most imacs are the usual 1680x1050 or 1920x1200

P.S.: Admittedly... gaming on Macs work smoother than on Windows, too... in case you wonder. There's practically none of that "stutter" and "lag" and crazy errors and all those ****. It's just smooth in my opinions. Kinda like when you're playing on a console.
This is such a load of crap. There's nothing magical about how a mac runs a game and, unless they're buggy as hell, games run just as smooth on my PC.

I'm sorry rap, usually I think you're a pretty smart cat, but that was a load of nonsense you just said.

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
That's because apple fanboys are under the false assumption that osx is better for editting media.
The software is grandfathered to the Mac platform since a lot of the better audio software packages for the Mac have been around for years and years. Graphics apps are the same way. The minute there was a real market for graphics apps on Windows (ie. Photoshop), good graphics apps appeared for Windows. The platform itself doesn't limit anything. It's all about the dollahs.
runawayprisoner said:
Well, just so you know, a Mac doesn't really have "conventional" components like those in PCs..
Sure they do. There's very little in a Mac that is unique. The various components are little more than variants of the same chips sold in PCs. Even the processors are the same, except for the Macbook Air. The Air CPU uses a custom package design to fit in the small space allotted to it. It is however, still a run-of-the-mill Intel CPU. It's simply pinned differently.
runawayprisoner said:
That may be your opinion but it's still wrong. I think if you try to run something like Crysis on a P4 then yeah you will get what you are describing, but a decently built rig will have no problem handling typical games. To even hint otherwise shows a massive, massive ignorance on your part. And when I say "decently built rig" I mean a desktop that is 1/3 the cost of the lowest-end Mac Pro. My year old PC laptop has a video chipset that is considerably more powerful than anything a current Macbook Pro has, yet costs far less than a Macbook Pro.

Disclaimer: I do own a Mac in addition to several PCs.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Sure they do. There's very little in a Mac that is unique. The various components are little more than variants of the same chips sold in PCs. Even the processors are the same, except for the Macbook Air. The Air CPU uses a custom package design to fit in the small space allotted to it. It is however, still a run-of-the-mill Intel CPU. It's simply pinned differently.
Actually, Mac Mini uses a mobile socket for its CPU. :p So technically it isn't exactly what PCs are using. And yeah, they are variant, but some stuffs are different. For instance, Mac uses EFI as opposed to conventional BIOS.

Many PC chipsets still use BIOS. That's the major difference.

Of course Windows 2000 and some server variants as well as Windows Vista and possibly Windows 7 do support EFI, but only on EFI systems. Some (if not most) personal computers are still using BIOS.

That may be your opinion but it's still wrong. I think if you try to run something like Crysis on a P4 then yeah you will get what you are describing, but a decently built rig will have no problem handling typical games. To even hint otherwise shows a massive, massive ignorance on your part. And when I say "decently built rig" I mean a desktop that is 1/3 the cost of the lowest-end Mac Pro. My year old PC laptop has a video chipset that is considerably more powerful than anything a current Macbook Pro has, yet costs far less than a Macbook Pro.
Would you like to talk with Schumi about how his rig (a Core 2 Quad coupled with a GTX 260) lagged horribly in Need For Speed Underground 2 and Most Wanted? ;) He just asked about that a few days ago.

Also Crysis lags regardless. I have tried that game too many times to remember how many times it hiccups on whatever system. If the settings are above Average or Medium, it just hiccups due to various reasons.

And your laptop video chipset is a 1900XT? :p Mind you, I just linked above that a Mac Pro (current) might well have a HD4870.

Disclaimer: I do own a Mac in addition to several PCs.
Depending on which Mac that is. :innocent:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Would you like to talk with Schumi about how his rig (a Core 2 Quad coupled with a GTX 260) lagged horribly in Need For Speed Underground 2 and Most Wanted?
And, naturally, Schumi's problem means that windows can't play games well and osx can right? There can't possibly be any other explanation.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
And, naturally, Schumi's problem means that windows can't play games well and osx can right? There can't possibly be any other explanation.
No. Just that Windows has more problems than OSX apparently.

I just disagree with:

1) Mac doesn't have games. This is entirely untrue.

2) Mac can't play games well. Well, they let you update until a HD4870 so I can't really see how this is true.

3) Windows is DA BOAM! <= I absolutely am against the idea of letting Microsoft know they have the monopoly over x86 platform operating system... because such thought let to the mess that is Windows Vista, and is supposedly being remedied by Windows 7.

By no means am I saying a Mac is better than a PC. (my main computer is a PC) But truthfully, it has its own advantages aside from being an easy-to-use platform. :/ Its price isn't right... but I get the feeling PC users turn too much of a blind eye on Mac.

P.S.: And psyhop, all the points above are not to be compared to PC, but rather, to evaluate on exactly how a Mac works.

I do know for a fact that a Mac is expensive. Hands down.

News flash: Dell and HP sell PCs for just about as much.

...so in my opinions, Apple is just like Dell or HP... pretty much. No comparison to Alienware since Apple doesn't look like they want to support such high configurations just yet.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Considering the prices i rather build a PC then buying a mac to me they seem like alienware in a way, you pay for the brand rather then paying for the quality.
As for Vista being a mess that opinion isnt share by all so thats not a fact its a matter of personal preference :p and il end it here dont wanna turn this thread in a "vista vs other os threads" .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would normally side with whatever crowd is against Mac and Linux, but about 2 months ago I played a bit with Ubuntu and haven't touched Windows since :p I kept the Windows install for games, until I noticed that there were emulators for Linux(and wine fills the gaps), so I removed Windows for a Hackintosh install.

So far, I've found that as an operating system, Ubuntu and Mac are tied for me, Win 7 comes second, XP third and Vista is in a deep hole in the ground that I hope it never returns from.

Funny thing is you dont actually realize how ****ing annoying it is to use Windows until you use something else -- not the big things either, it's all the little details that grind on you.

As for the OP -- the differences arent that huge, it's mostly under-the-hood stuff(Folder layouts, software installers), and a bunch of little details. Thing is though, is none of the big OS's are perfect, you just get used to their annoying, nagging differences.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.