Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY, someone that isn't biased!::

Hi /g/, PC user, here. I thought I'd share some thoughts on this subject as I have no been sort of "schooled" on why people use Macs. First of all, I was thinking... people use macs because of the style, and because of loyalty to a community.

Well as it turns out this is but one reason. The highest and most blatant reason of all though seems to be that people that use Macs, don't want a computer that is overcomlicated, buggy and constantly has to be tweaked because quite frankly, most Mac users don't really have the knowledge or the will to constantly tweak and upkeep their PC so maybe it is best that they have PC that just "WORKS" and requires no maintainence. It's come to my conclusion that this is not a bad thing; this is a good thing and it's what separates a Mac from a PC.

This does spoil the object of individualism and customization, is a Mac more customizable than a PC or linux distro? I don't think anything Mac puts out is as customizable as a linux distro much less a PC.

We PC users have the ability to mess with the setting of a setting of a setting and get right down to the binary of our operating systems and basically do anything we want; so do linux users. This is the Mac drawback, this is why people don't like Macs and yet it is the reason so many people do.

Mac users like Macs because they don't require heavy tweaking, customizing and constant care.
PC users hate Macs because they don't require heavy tweaking, customizing and constant care.

It works both ways; I respect Mac users and their reasons for enjoying their computers but I'm a complete tweaking junkie, I can't have something without messing with it or ****ing it up just to give myself something to do. I have to have a PC, either for my personal mental masochistic tenencies or just because I hate Steve Jobs' guts. Who knows. That's my spiel.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
If I were schooled in this matter like him, I'd ask my money back...

Get a problem with your Mac and you have nowhere to turn to, with your PC there's always a handy kid nextdoor willing to help. Failing hardware? No problem, just put in something new in a few days, plenty of spare parts available, so it's easy to spread your risks.

Macs are nice if they serve a purpose for you, a specific one. My PC is a general purpose one in the widest way of the word, so I'll stick with this. I doubt he'd find much mac support here at Emuforums where most of us are active gamers ;)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Strange... my PC doesn't need heavy tweaking, customizing and constant care. Mine must be faulty.

·
band
4,912 Posts
I'd try to help since I have Mac now, but then again I don't think Mac users generally need too much help. Even then, theres still a lot of places where one can find help such as on the forums of Mac-specific news sites. Just like one wouldn't go there specifically to find help on their PCs, I don't think Mac users in general would come to Emuforums for help.

I haven't had problems with PCs and I haven't had problems with my Mac, so I can't say which one is better. I do know though that I decided that I would like to have a Mac and since I had the money for the entrance fee, I paid it. I can't say I regret it (but my girlfriend hates it :D ).

I actually don't use my Mac for any specific purpose :D I don't know how to use Photoshop and I don't know how to edit videos. I just use it for word processing, surfing the internet, internet messaging, etc. Just like most PC users.

I don't game on my Macbook though. Firstly because I don't like to game on computers (my engineering instincts told me to switch to consoles :D), and secondly, gaming on a 13.3" screen won't be nearly as satisfying as on my 42".

In the end, I think people have their own lifestyle choices that others should be fine with. Not respect, because I know some people don't like that word on the internet...but just not mind. :D

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Strange... my PC doesn't need heavy tweaking, customizing and constant care. Mine must be faulty.
Mine must be faulty too. Funny, our servers at work(Win 2000 SP4) "crashed:rolleyes:" only once in 2 years.....and it happened during a firmware upgrade...

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Let's just say... you can't drag and drop just about anything to anywhere on a PC... ya? :rolleyes:

Mac just gives off this... "I'm easier to use!" feel. Not that it doesn't have customizations or anything. For instance... it is pretty easy to hook a printer or something to your Mac. It just gets recognized and works. On a PC... well... you might need to look for drivers.

But on the same note... if something doesn't get recognized by a Mac, you're about 99% screwed.

And if you're an inexperienced PC user, you'll more than likely f***s up the PC once a week on average. It's just natural. :p

On the same note, though... not like Apple doesn't screw up every now and then... and give its users hell. For instance... if your Mac is surfing the net fine, don't bother installing Safari 4 beta as there might be "problems". ;p

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
"I'm easier to use!" feel.
Like a cheap hooker.

And if you're an inexperienced PC user, you'll more than likely f***s up the PC once a week on average. It's just natural. :p
I think that's the real reason - people who aren't in tune with technology in general need the hand holding of Macs.

On the same note, though... not like Apple doesn't screw up every now and then... and give its users hell.
That they do. I remember the high school days of those stupid bomb pictures popping up. BSOD equivalent?

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Touché.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
I agree with both these statements above

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
Like a cheap hooker.
...well, I know one thing for sure: she has a limited number of accessories... :p

PCs... you can pretty much hook anything up and program it to run the way you want to. (so in the end... PC is more of a "hooker" than Mac... literally?)

I think that's the real reason - people who aren't in tune with technology in general need the hand holding of Macs.
Or that's what they want you to believe. I personally find Mac OS X still the same living hell as that of Windows or Linux when you are programming something. In fact, the only reason you might need a Mac is to program for Apple devices. Otherwise, i can't really see a difference from a developer's standpoint.

That they do. I remember the high school days of those stupid bomb pictures popping up. BSOD equivalent?
Well, Apple does have a GSOD (gray screen of death) whenever a kernel panic occurs... or whatever the hell that might just crash and burn because it can't proceed any further.

Though I gotta admit that thing appears less than BSOD. BSOD had been happening so much that I suspect the only reason you might not be seeing it is because it appeared then disappeared in milliseconds...

I remember back in Win 98... when there were BSODs that would bring you back to the desktop if you "press any button to continue".

And at least GSOD has more than one language. (more n00b-friendly?)

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
lol. Bsod's in Vista are common AND userfriendly, it saves your info for when you boot back in

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I know two people with a Macs. Both had Windows used primarily on them. Lawlz

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Bootcamp is one of Mac's biggest draws

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Or that's what they want you to believe. I personally find Mac OS X still the same living hell as that of Windows or Linux when you are programming something.
Good ol' marketing.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I use a mac at work. It bothers me. They made it really really pretty and fun to use in many areas, but it's missing some basic functionality that windows nailed years ago. Nothing huge, just very little things that all add up.

It's like, Windows is a plain #2 pencil, whereas Mac is a pimp camo-green GI Joe pencil crayon that has your name on it. For some of your work, that GI Joe pencil crayon is kick-ass! But sometimes you just really need that eraser on the #2 pencil.

·
I'm sexy and I know it!
4,935 Posts
lol. Bsod's in Vista are common
Woot? Oo

My installation of Vista has had a BSOD 2 times since the install, and that's more than 3 months ago.
BSOD's on my XP installation was far more common, at least once a week.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I haven't had a BSOD with XP since I had a failing harddisk over a year ago.

·
band
4,912 Posts
I haven't had a BSOD with XP since I had a failing harddisk over a year ago.
Agreed. XP is definitely the way to go :D Never had a problem that I didn't initiate in some way.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts