Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow I just finished this game on VGS and I must say that this game has blown me away. I have finally found a game that I love more than my former all time favorite Final Fantasy 6. The graphics are great, good directing, excellent gear/non-gear battle system, an excellent plot, a great score, and characters that I genuinly cared about. I can't believe I put off playing this game!!!

Anyways, now that I find out that this game is part 5 of a 6 part story arc, does anyone know of any specific details regarding the release of Xenosaga? Most importantly which system(s) it may be released for other than PS2?

Also, if you liked Xenogears, can anyone recommend another game for me to try out? I've played all the big games like FF9, Chrono Cross, LOD, etc. I think I may try Parasite Eve next.

If you haven't played Xenogears GO PLAY IT!

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
There are currently no other systems Xenosaga is planned for than the PS2. I'd recommend some games, but I don't know what ones you've played. I personally didn't like any PSX RPG more than Xenogears, but the Suikodens are almost as good.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
part 5 of 6? what are the other parts? :confused:

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I haven't played Tales of Eternia yet. I know I liked Tales of Destiny, despite it being significantly worse than Tales of Phantasia, but I'm not sure how they quite compare. I'm fairly sure they're very much unlike each other. Xenogears really has nothing similar to it.

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
what i like in tod2 is they can speak not like other rpg its just text
well i'm not really a pure rpg fun :)

BTW how about the story?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
If you're not really a pure RPG fan, you probably aren't going to want to touch Xenogears. It's the most text driven console RPG, and the plot reflects it. The plot is easily the most complex of any console RPG out there.

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
the only rpg i played is Chrono Cross(finish), TOD2(fin), Legend of Legaia(not yet), Breath of Fire 4(not yet), FF8(not yet :emb: and no plan to continue)

any suggestion?? of a good rpg beside that?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Tales of Destiny is very similar to Tales of Destiny 2, just much worse looking. Definitely check out Suikoden 1 and 2. They're very short but good.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
All the games I mentioned are on only one CD, with the exception of Xenogears, which is on 2 (should have ended on the first disk, though).

·
Registered
900 Posts
xenogears is decent. its much better than ff8. the textboxes were far too slow on the actual ps. the game got borring clicking though enless textboxes. it was much better on epsxe where i could basically turn up the speed and cruise through. the game is pretty linear too. there are not enough side quests and their are not enough modifications for your gears.

its still a fun game. they should of let you choose to play the storyline of id as well. now that would have been cool.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hmm I think I'll try Suikoden after Parasite Eve then. It seems to me that some people praise Square's lesser known games such as Vagrant Story and Xenogears more than Final Fantasy and Chrono games. Hope they don't blow up Xenogears into an FF. Yuck, FF9 was such a cookie cutter RPG... That game should be the median for future RPGs.

Too bad there are no current plans for multi-platform Xenosaga... I don't really want a PS2 anymore. Xbox seems to be a better deal. Dammit, if only FFX and Xenosaga were on the Xbox... then again, FFX doesn't seem ground breaking either. Hmm what system do you guys think is gonna have the best RPGs? Since Sony owns a lot of Square stock would that necessarily mean PS2?

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
The only thing I hate about xenogears is tahat i get into random battles with every fifth step or so i take. :mad: it's really annoying, and you can't refill your gas tank immediately after a battle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha I know what you mean! I didn't mind the fueling too much but what I really hated was how you ALWAYS seem to encounter an enemy 1 step before OR at the exact time you approach a door! That happened to me countless times throughout the game!

I really liked some of the combos you could do. I didn't use some of the characters enough. My favs were Citan, Elly and Fei. Billy, Bart and Maria were alright, but it seemed like Rico, Chu-chu, and that other girl (I can't even remember her name!) were always left out in the cold. But that girl was really useful in the end. Her gear was pretty quick and powerful. Didn't miss as much as the others either. I was kinda disappointed that you couldn't use Elly's omnigear much though.

Who were your favs?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Neo: I used Citan, Emaralda, and Fei exclusively. I should play through without Citan, but Doc is so much fun. :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Originally posted by Neo_ZX
Hmm I think I'll try Suikoden after Parasite Eve then.
Suikoden rules. The second game is great too. its sad they had to go 3d on number 3. i liked the 2d art in the ps1 games.

as for xenogears.

citan, fei, and esmerelda. citan is too good though. if you want a challenge don't use him. bart and rico look cool but they aren't too good in battle. bart is the average character. Maria's gear is awesome but she royally sucks for everything else. elly is just a crappy fighter and her gear is the worst.

chu-chu is retarded but IT is the best character for defeating the fuel sucking last boss.

oops i almost forgot billy. hes a decent character. his weak gunshot is almost pointless ant the end of the game though. i would rate him on par with bart. rico falls somewhere below these two.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really? I thought Rico was alright... he was stronger than billy and bart but he was a boring guy so I left him out most of the time. I was trying to pick the people that would suit the situation best and that usually involved the main guys (obviously). I didn't like Citan at first but he was integral to the story and I could help but use him after the first time he talked to Cain! I was sucked in.

When you talked about the 3rd game in 3D did you mean suikoden or parasite eve? I haven't heard of a third game for either! Can you tell me when it was released and for which platform?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts