Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep a bit overdue, but I have finished the game, but it still hasnt beat the magic FF7 managed to bring.:)
The best part is of course the kiss, it took me completely by surprise but, to me, i dont understand how Yuna falls in love with Tidus in the first place, he has such an annoying voice.
Worst part IS the laughing scene between Yuna and Tidus, OMG, so stupid, its kinda dificult to watch!!
Overall the game gets 9/10, another brilliant story:thumb:

BTW, is there any difference between the JAP, USA or EUROPEAN version of the game??

· ...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
clouds bro said:
BTW, is there any difference between the JAP, USA or EUROPEAN version of the game??
not much. some extra bosses in the international and euro versions and an extra scene leading into ffx-2. also, those two have a few more skills for characters. that's all i remember.

· Some Scottish Guy
4,340 Posts
Don't know if this constitutes a difference, but the PAL versions come with a bonus DVD with interviews with the voice actors and such. Plus the game runs 15% slower and has black bars at the top and bottom of the screen :p

I think that Tidus' voice acting is probably the worst decision in modern gaming history (Raiden can be excused by storyline purposes). I know people who refuse to play the game just because of it. Plus he looks like Meg Ryan without a sense of basic fashion.

I'll probably get around to playing this game again to rekindle those old memories. Auron is the coolest FF hero in recent history though. :D

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
industrian said:
Don't know if this constitutes a difference, but the PAL versions come with a bonus DVD with interviews with the voice actors and such. Plus the game runs 15% slower and has black bars at the top and bottom of the screen :p

Auron is the coolest FF hero in recent history though. :D
Yeh Auron is definitely the coolest character recently:D
I also found the running motion of Tidus rather sluggish actually, maybe its because the PAL version was slower im not sure..

· Back to regular business
3,317 Posts
Well, in my opinion FFX was a pretty good game, but it'll never come to the atmosphere the older FF games, especially FFIX created. Mainly for the following reasons:

- FFIX had a bunch of really strong and diverse characters (except Auron - he was a truly awesome character). They tried to make a cast fit for a movie, but simply forgot to give their characters a real personality. I also see close to no character development.

- FFX tried to make the story events also very movie-like which took a lot of the RPG feel. I'm definitely not against voice acting at all, but it always seems as if they were trying to reduce the cut-scenes to a minimum just to make the game fit on one DVD.

- The world was a bit small, in my opinion. I liked the idea of having no world map at all, but the way Square did FFX there was simply a lack of ... well ... towns and dungeons in general. The cities were also way too small, in my opinion. Compare the vast cities of FFIX (Lindblum, for example) to the towns you found in FFX.

Don't get me wrong...I adored Final Fantasy X. There are lots of great things to say about it, especially the graphics were truly amazing. I simply found that it somehow lacked of the good old RPG traditions. Let's hope that they'll do better in FFXII.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeh i was surprised to see that the world of spira was so small but no world map in FFX didnt reduce the final fantasy feel of the game which was great as i culdnt imagine FF without a world map...One place that looked a lot lyk what a world map would look like in FFX is the Calm Lands, very green and very big...
Im also impressed by the composition once again, by Nobuo Uematsu, another fine score but not better than FF9. Final Fantasy cannot be the same without the musical trends used by Nobuo, I just hope ff12 has a good score to top off his time at Square Enix.

· ...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
honestly, i prefer to not have a world map. it just wastes time. gather, there is the loss of adventure and exploration... but a lot of the time, the towns are easy enough to find. so, in those cases maps are fine.

· The seeker of perfection
4,008 Posts
clouds bro said:
The best part is of course the kiss, it took me completely by surprise but, to me, i dont understand how Yuna falls in love with Tidus in the first place, he has such an annoying voice.
To me it was not surprise since i knew about it 3 years before i played it. It was the era of the Ps2 hype and when i wanted to download some FFX videos i saw lots of "Kiss scene - Yuna and Tidus". After i while i said ohh Wth and downloaded one.

clouds bro said:
Worst part IS the laughing scene between Yuna and Tidus, OMG, so stupid, its kinda dificult to watch!!
I thought the same thing but i remembered how i did stupid things when i was in love so... i guess it's the same. Then again, after watching every single american cartoon finishing with everybody laughing when i was a little kid...

clouds bro said:
The International version has an extra Dvd with a 5 min. scene where Yuna finds an sphere and she sees a guy who looks like Tidus. You can get it as i did since i only had the Us version.

FFX had a bunch of really strong and diverse characters (except Auron - he was a truly awesome character). They tried to make a cast fit for a movie, but simply forgot to give their characters a real personality. I also see close to no character development.
On the other side, i felt that the story was too simple and not complicated at all, very straightforward IMO. But i loved the characters because even if they didn't have development in the story they felt like they were living an adventure together where what was important was the present not their past. I loved them and felt attached to them because their acting was convincent enough IMO.

clouds bro said:
but it still hasnt beat the magic FF7 managed to bring
I know but for some reason i feel nostalgic when i hear "Someday the dream will end" or "To Zanarkand" and i want to play it again but i still have some games to finish. It has his own kind of magic.

If Tidus was real he would like this:

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kazuya Mishima said:
I know but for some reason i feel nostalgic when i hear "Someday the dream will end" or "To Zanarkand" and i want to play it again but i still have some games to finish. It has his own kind of magic.:
Yeh not only is it nostalgic, but a brilliant build up to the end of Yuna's pilgrimage in Zanarkand. One of the best pieces of music in the game..
And also, how hard was Blitzball, damn i culdnt even win one game!! Wakka remained with hois primary elemt reels thruoghout the game. Now that i mention it, he was actually one of my strongest characters. Here are the characters i used the most.
1. Auron Strength was very good
2. Wakka Only one able to hit flying objects/good overall fighter IMO
3. Yuna Brilliant for boss battles and against Ultima weapon.
4. Lulu Strongest person to use magic compared to Yuna
5. Tidus The only person who had learnt Haste
6. Rikku WHat else, stealing!
7. Kimahri Rarely used him, i guess he was the only person to have learnt flee.

· Some Scottish Guy
4,340 Posts
I thought the Final Fantasy X soundtrack was quite lame. Final Fantasy IX has the same problem wherin EVERY song is basically using the same leitmotif as the main theme in the game.

The tracks mentioned though were the highlights. That and Other World (which ironically is quite otherworldly compared to conventional Final Fantasy songs).

The best part of the game is the main twist in the middle, where Tidus finds out what'll happen to Yuna during the Final Summoning.

I pretty much always used Tidus, Auron and Yuna. Due to the awesome levelling system of the game, Yuna was my white mage/thief and Tidus the strongest character.

A commendable attribute for Final Fantasy X though, even if you didn't like the voice actors, they didn't use Jennifer Hale and/or Cam Clarke.

And yes, nothing will ever beat Final Fantasy VII. Possibly not even a remake (unless of course they can use Advent Children-quality graphics :) )

Worst thing about FFX apart from Tidus' vocals : IT'S A STRAIGHT LINE.

· ...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
industrian said:
I thought the Final Fantasy X soundtrack was quite lame.
considering i can only remember the main theme from the game, i'd have to more or less agree with you. i don't know if i'd call it lame, as much as non memorable. but maybe, for a FF game it could've been a bit better.

industrian said:
And yes, nothing will ever beat Final Fantasy VII. Possibly not even a remake (unless of course they can use Advent Children-quality graphics :) )
probably the best FF. there's a lot of rpgs that i may very well favour over ff7.

as for the party used in ffx? tidus, yuna and auron... i think. i can't really remember as i had switched around quite a bit. i DO know i never bothered with kimahri and stopped using lulu early on.

· Registered
12,014 Posts
clouds bro said:
i dont understand how Yuna falls in love with Tidus in the first place, he has such an annoying voice.
Doesn't matter if Tidus would have had the hottest voice in the world, he's still some druggy in a ridiculous swimsuit. I had the same issue with the forced romance but then I figured, "Hey, it's Square, I shouldn't think about the little details like plot because they don't." I can see how Tidus could fall for Yuna, but Yuna for Tidus? Please. :p

Interestingly, I used pretty much the same party as Exodus and pretty much stopped using the same characters. I think my endgame Kimahri had like 500 HP. :p While the party switching system was commendable, the only time I ever swapped characters out was when I needed Wakka to take out a flying mob. I don't think I even really used Rikku for stealing since stealing was mostly worthless in X and X-2.

3,317 Posts
I always used to use every character in every fight to make them all gain max exp. My main party was Wakka (best Overdrive), Tidus (second-best overdrive) and Yuna.

· The seeker of perfection
4,008 Posts
industrian said:
The best part of the game is the main twist in the middle, where Tidus finds out what'll happen to Yuna during the Final Summoning.
Exactly. I also liked the part where Tidus fights against his Father, quite sad. I replayed that part a few weeks ago and i didn't feel it the same way, maybe because when i finished it the first time the game was building up the tension more and more. At least that's how i felt it.

What i didn't get was the part before the twist in the middle of the game. They are considered traitors and they are going against everyone and everything but it just didn't felt that way in those moments. It was like "ohh, now i get it, we are against everyone, ok. Now let's move a couple of meters and let's go to kiss Yuna". It was until my party reached Lady Yunalesca that everything started to feel like they were going against every single thing taken for granted.

industrian said:
I pretty much always used Tidus, Auron and Yuna. Due to the awesome levelling system of the game, Yuna was my white mage/thief and Tidus the strongest character.
The only character i didn't use was Kimhari. My main party was made of Tidus, Auron and Yuna but i'd swap one of them for Wakka when there was a flying enemy or for Lulu when the enemy had an evident elemental weakness that could be exploited with magic.

· Crotally Tazy
4,802 Posts
Ah. I thought the sad ending was excellent. Some scenes, bits of the storyline and a few of the soundtrack as well.
But would I play the game again... no. Too much to go through for too little excellence and nostalgia. :p

I have been wanting to know the summary of FFX-2 for a while now, by the way. May anyone be bored enough to come up with a brief (but important details accounted) summary? :)

I remember seeing some intriguing scenes like Yuna meeting up with Tidus again, with soldiers chasing them.

· Registered
145 Posts
Seems like no one used Kimahri ... I know I didn't. I didn't really use my characters for anything specific because by the time I was at the end almost all of my characters had been over almost all of the grid (Tidus and Wakka totally complete).

And yeah, can someone spoil the X-2 story for us? I couldn't force myself to play all the way through (was able to withstand the cheese for about 5 hours then just gave up :)) so I never found out what it was all about ....

· Registered
411 Posts
hooloovoo said:
Seems like no one used Kimahri ... I know I didn't. I didn't really use my characters for anything specific because by the time I was at the end almost all of my characters had been over almost all of the grid (Tidus and Wakka totally complete).

And yeah, can someone spoil the X-2 story for us? I couldn't force myself to play all the way through (was able to withstand the cheese for about 5 hours then just gave up :)) so I never found out what it was all about ....
I used Khimari for cool factor - I liked his character. But it wasn't ever really necessary except a few times (his Blue Mage like abilities early on were nice).

3,317 Posts
Well, Kimahri is indeed a pretty strong character, but rather useless towards the end. The main problem is that once you get his final blue magic (Maelstrom) and his ultimate weapon powered up completely, he is already strong enough to deal 99.999 damage with normal attacks, anyway. Besides, Tidus and Wakka have much better Overdrives, because they are multi-hit and can theoretically deal about 12x99.999 damage each.

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Damn, the highest attack i ever did with one attack was with Animas overdrive. Id say it was around 5 x 17,000HP damage..Amina was the most powerful Aeon followed by those Magus sisters, bahamut, Yojimbo, Ixion, Shiva, Ifrit and Valefor.
Was there even a water-based aeon in FF10?...

· Some Scottish Guy
4,340 Posts
Exodus said:
probably the best FF. there's a lot of rpgs that i may very well favour over ff7.
I'm still looking. ;) My recent replay of Final Fantasy VIII made that a viable contender. Xenogears and Chrono Cross are on my list after beating FFIX though.

hooloovoo said:
I couldn't force myself to play all the way through [FFX-2] (was able to withstand the cheese for about 5 hours then just gave up ) so I never found out what it was all about ....
I had to take testosterone injections, self mutilation sessions and listening to Manowar constantly just to maintain any sense of my masculinity during that game. DANCE BROTHER DANCE!!!!11!1eleven. ^_^;;;;;;;;;;;;; (and still didn't complete it :D)

---

As for my character preference in FFX...

I never EVER... EVER used Kimahri in my main group once i could avoid it. My "A" team was usually Tidus, Auron and Rikku. Rikku's speed got that incredible she had two turns for every one Auron had. Then i started using Yuna and got her to be able to steal, be fast, and only use 1mp per spell. She was promoted instantly. :D

Now that I've sold all my PAL games and rebought most (both FFX and X-2) in their North American releases, I can't play any PS2 game right now. :( I DO want to replay Final Fantasy X but right now I'm stuck.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.