Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well i am just interested:

In which language do you develop PCSX2?
As i read, there are some performance issues... maybe some Assembler-optimisations in the right place (e.g. graphic routines) could help?

I assume you make good use of graphics hardware...
-do you use OpenGL or DirectX to acomplish that?

How large is the source code of PCSX2? How encapsulated are the dvelopment tasks? I mean does someone who wants to make a certain change need knowledge of the entire source or is it sufficient to know a certain amount of code? In other words: how well can the work be seperated to developers, barely comunicating with each other?

Don't you have some blueprints of used components, that you need to emulate? I mean there are electric blueprints for most electric components online and downloadable... no doubt, there are also blueprints for the majority of electric elements used in the PS2... but do you have something like that for the PS-CPU/GPU also?

Do you have something like a ToDo List for PCSX2? Or otherwise can someone tell the major steps that need to be mastered, to make a stable PCSX2 release?

I am familiar with C/C++ and some Windows Programming... don't know much Assembler though. If there is some work, that doesn't need anything else, i would like to help.

EDIT:
Oh yeah... when did the work on PCSX2 start?
Since there are some verry nice SNES emulators out there i guess it has to be a lot harder to make such an emulator for PS2... or is it just the time that makes the difference?

Well, thanks for your time...

Greets,
Hakan

·
Heretic
2,771 Posts
With regards to the 'blueprints' (schematics), they are extremely hard to find because if Sony released them then other people could make their own PS2's etc. You can't even get schematics for the controllers and very few people take the time to document them theirselves. Obviously 3rd party companies have made their own and have made contracts with Sony for their schematic but they are forbidden by contract to release them.

From what I've heard from dev's from time to time is that PCSX2 is largely based on the code for PCSX and I would think since there is no difference between the controllers (analog) for the PSX and PS2 that little code had to be changed for it.

I can't really answer your other questions because they would be assumptions.

·
Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
First off, languages used are C++ and Assembly. Also, we use DriectX for graphics hardware (thus for now, only the Windows version can use graphics hardware accelaration). As for the rest of the technical questions, one of the developers would be better to answer them than me.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thx for the reply(s)...
hope a dev. and/or mod. will show up here sometime.

From my point of view, it seems to be like impossible to acomplish an emulator without detailed explanations of the hardware that you want to emulate. So how do the devs make any progress at all?

1. By trial and error (that's hard to imagine... you would have to go through countless possibilities and even then you wouldn't be absoletely sure)? oO Well, if thats the way its done, then you have my respect for sure! :bow:

2. Or is some kind of game-code analysis applied? But since the PS2 Core isn't a standard piece of hardware, you don't know how it executes single commands, so game-code would be hard to interpret at all... :rolleyes:

3. Hardware analysis would be the most straight forward attempt in my opinion. It would be even more work as the previous possibilities. You would need havy electronic knowledge, and you would have to fractionise some PS2s in order to get the needed parts, that you want to analyse. Also you would have to determine how exactly the units are connected in a PS2... all in all this would be like recreating the 'blueprint' for a PS2 (and all its components) from hardware.
After you have detailed informations of the behaviors of all parts a PS2 is made of (including conection layout), emulation by software should be an (relatively) easy task.
At this point, you could be sure, your emulator works accurately, assuming you did the previous points well enough.
And even if not, errors in the emulator could be tracked down to its source pretty well.

Maybe there is at last an easier way i just can't see by now... in any case: pls enlighten my mind

what i also would like to know:
Is PCSX2 open source?

Thx in advance,
Hakan

·
Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
You can download the source code to 0.8.1 in the downloads section of the emulator's homepage. Also, they have this project hosted on the CVS at Sourceforge.;)

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
Zhadoom said:
Thx for the reply(s)...
From my point of view, it seems to be like impossible to acomplish an emulator without detailed explanations of the hardware that you want to emulate. So how do the devs make any progress at all?

1. By trial and error (that's hard to imagine... you would have to go through countless possibilities and even then you wouldn't be absoletely sure)? oO Well, if thats the way its done, then you have my respect for sure! :bow:

2. Or is some kind of game-code analysis applied? But since the PS2 Core isn't a standard piece of hardware, you don't know how it executes single commands, so game-code would be hard to interpret at all... :rolleyes:

3. Hardware analysis would be the most straight forward attempt in my opinion. It would be even more work as the previous possibilities. You would need havy electronic knowledge, and you would have to fractionise some PS2s in order to get the needed parts, that you want to analyse. Also you would have to determine how exactly the units are connected in a PS2... all in all this would be like recreating the 'blueprint' for a PS2 (and all its components) from hardware.
After you have detailed informations of the behaviors of all parts a PS2 is made of (including conection layout), emulation by software should be an (relatively) easy task.
At this point, you could be sure, your emulator works accurately, assuming you did the previous points well enough.
And even if not, errors in the emulator could be tracked down to its source pretty well.
Well its kind of a mixture of all the above we use, altho number 3 isnt quite what we do, what we have is documents explaining how the PS2 works, or at least a majority of the hardware, from this we can create code to how we think it should work, which then kinda ties in to 1 & 2 where we use games to test the new code, if it is faulty we tend to make demonstration programs which we can run on a ps2 and get the results then work out how it got the results, altho we know generally what to expect.

Hope that gives you some clue to what we do :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.