Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

While playing Jumping Flash 2, many polygonal pieces of various structures and characters and objects become completely transparent; they are not visible, but collision detection still functions with them.

I searched the forum and could only find one other post about graphical glitches in Jumping Flash 2, and the poster never got a satisfactory response.

I am using ePSXe 1.70, with the internal SPU, and using backup ISO images to play from. I have tried several GPU plug-in's: OpenGL 2.9, DX 1.77, and Software 1.8, all from Pete. All have this same problem which makes me think that it is a problem with ePSXe and not with anything specifically graphics.

My hardware is:
Intel E6600 (not overclocked)
6GB RAM
Win XP (latest SP, whatever they're up to now)
latest DirectX version (available for WinXP)
ATI 3850 (latest drivers)
All graphical options in ATI control panel are set to "application controlled."

I have tried all the different graphical setting combinations available in the programs (not literally, but a very, very wide range, trying different settings in all of the sections EXCEPT for speed/fix hacks, since none are listed as being related to Jumping Flash 2.)

No change in settings or even change of plug-in's fixes the issue of the missing polygons.

Speed is improved by using a plug-in other than OpenGL 2.9 OR by using 2.9 and turning "off" the Hi-Res Texture options. Nevertheless, play still remains slower than all other 3D PSX games I have tried in PSX. Also, the Hi-Res Texture Options do NOT noticeably slow down any other 3D PSX games that I have tried. It would seem then that Jumping Flash is slower in general than most other games.

Thank you for your help :)

·
God of Douchebagness™
9,826 Posts
can you post a screenshot of this and is it just this one game that you are seeing these graphical glitches in?

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Since you're using an ATI, you did specify the ammount of VRAM it has? If not, you should.

As for the glitches, if it happens with basicly any plugin... did you try another emulator? Like pSX for example.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is just this one game. I have played MANY others and this is the only one.

The other poster who had the exact same problem as me was using an Nvidia card, so I don't think it has anything to do with graphics card or graphics setting.

I think it is instead a problem with ePSXe, so I am posting here so that a programmer from ePSXe can read this problem and think about it for their next version. How can I talk to an ePSXe programmer please? :)

I do not want to use another emulator because ePSXe lets me use Pete's plug-ins and I love them because they make the game much better looking than any other plug-in.

There are pieces missing from all sorts of objects, including all enemies, and even from my rabbit-robot's feet when I jump up high and look down at them.

The pieces that are missing "switch" as I change my distance and rotation to the object, so that sometimes certain parts are missing and sometimes others, depending upon where I am in relation to the object. I must stand almost on top of an object before it even has a chance of becoming free of this glitch.

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
For troubleshooting you should check other emulators to see if the problem is either ePSXe itself, the plugins or another issue.

So first, if it's the same regardless of plugin... then did you try the other versions of ePSXe like 1.5.2 and 1.6.0 ? If the issue is still pressent, try another emulator and check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In emulator "psxfin" the polygon glitch is still present, but less so than in ePSXe. And it runs much much faster.
In emulator Xebra, there is no polygon glitch at all, but the game runs very slowly.
In ePSXe 1.6, it plays almost the same as ePSXe 1.7, but slower; the glitch is present just the same as in 1.7.

I think it is obviously a problem with emulator coding so I must ask again how to make sure I can speak to ePSXe programmer about this so that they are aware?

·
クロスエクス
4,662 Posts
Well, you can gather the information about the tests and post it the following thread.

ePSXe v1.7 bug reports

Thanks for the tests. It's seems like an emulation problem then.
I've read that using the -i command line starts ePSXe in Interpreter mode wich should be more compatible. I don't know how true this is, but it's worth the try.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,

Just writing to add that speed is also a big issue in Jumping Flash 1, too. The graphical glitches are very mild in comparison though.

In both games, the skybox seems to have something to do with the frame rate/speed issues, because if you look down at the ground and keep the skybox outside of your POV, the frame rate is raised to about normal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried it also in ePSXe (1.6 and 1.7), and psxfin.

Xebra is the only one it seems to work particularly well in.

Strangely, ePSXe has no trouble at all running Jumping Flash 3.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

Just replying to say that I installed Vista 64-bit edition on my PC and have since tried running Jumping Flash 1/2 again, running ePSXe in administrator mode.

Now the missing polygons have returned, but a new issue is introduced: severe tiling artifacts on about a third of the textures in the game. This happens regardless of my settings for filtering/stretching.

Speed issue is resolved when the various framebuffer settings are lowered in the video plugin.

I guess this means it is a graphics plug-in issue and I should post where Pete will find it? But that wouldn't explain why psxfin has the same problem... Weird, huh?

Ok, thanks, bye!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts