Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hardly ever have questions, so this might be a hard one.

I have tried a lot of gamepads or joysticks with ePSXe, and two of them have problems.

The first one is a generic 8 button gameport gamepad. Mostly it works fine, however, every once in a while it suddenly acts crazy as if the d-pad is pressed randomly. i.e. if I'm in some kinda menu the selection will be jumping around the screen.
I switched to a Gravis Gamepad Pro so I didn't worry about that anymore for a while.

The 2nd controller that has a problem is a Gravis Blackhawk Digital. It is a digital gameport device; the gameport is not read in the traditional way. What happens is the buttons will be pressed randomly in ePSXe. This can be very annoying: for example, in Gran Turismo while I'm in 3rd gear, the reverse button would be pressed momentarily, throwing me back to 1st :eek:

I figured this new problem might be somehow related to the previous problem I had with the 8 button gamepad. Perhaps ePSXe somehow messed up the gameport's operation, causing these momentary problems.

However, not all my gameport devices had the same problem. For instance the Gamepad Pro worked perfectly.

Also of note is those two devices are working perfectly under normal circumstances; they both work with other games and emulators (in bleem! for example).

I hope this is not a bug, and is just some config problems I have, then someone here might be able to help, but I doubt it. If it's a bug I hope the ePSXe team can look into it.

My gameport is on a SB Live! Value.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I had a similar problems with 2 joysticks on my computer..... one on the gameport and one on a usb..... Fixed by setting only 1p cotrols in epsxe and leaving 2p disabled...... I also changed controller id's in the gaming options..... start, settings, control panel, gaming options..... No more probs for me.... Now I just need to figure out how to make the rumble support work on this thrustmaster dual power pad with epsxe... It does work with pc games though.... And uses directx to do rumble....

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
fivefeet8,
I think you're referring to a different problem. Another bug in ePSXe. Whenever I have two devices in Gaming Options, ePSXe's analog controller emulation (for Pad 1 only) does not work properly; it will not detect any input from the ID 1 controller's axes for emulating the analog sticks.

i.e. It will only map the ID 2 controller's axes to the 4 emulated analog axes.

However, the workaround is to assign the controller you wish to use to ID 2. That way you can map everything from that controller to the axes, as well as the buttons and d-pad, and leave the ID 1 controller alone, or for Pad 2, who has only digital gamepad emulation in ePSXe.
Yep, that is ID 1 controller for Pad 2, and ID 2 controller for Pad 1 :p

Again, I think it's a completely different issue from the problem I posted.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I have a microsoft sidewinder gamepad on gameing device id 1 and the thrustmaster dual power pad on gaming device id 2.... In epsxe I set the thrustmaster to p1 and the sidewinder to p2..... So it was just the same thing you suggested.... I already had done that already though... But my problems before were similar to yours.... I would play a MvC with the thrustmaster on p1.... everytime I press back, all three kick buttons would be pressed and I would super jump.. happened everytime..... then I looked in the control panet systems settings and removed the microsoft game pad controller and installed the thrustmaster gamepad controller...... The stupid thing about thrustmaster is that it always intalls the windows game controller when you try to install the game pad... then you have to manually install the thrustmaster game controller and remove the ms controller......

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, that sounds similar to my problem. i guess your sidewinder is the original gameport type? If so it would seem the problem indeed has to do with the gameport.

So you didn't actually fix the problem with the sidewinder; you just switched to the Thrustmaster, right?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
actually,

I have both controllers working correctly now.... The sidewinder is on the gameport.... the thrustmaster on the usb... both work fine... I still would like the rumble feature to work in epsxe, but atleast they work good..... Oh, and what I meant to say was that I removed the usb ms pad controller which kept on installing itself everytime I installed the thrustmaster..... I just removed it and installed the thrustmaster pad controller(usb) manually..... that fixed the problem of having buttons pressed when I didn't press them... Now both works pretty good... Maybe you should manually install your controller and see it that helps....

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
umm, you mean manually *Add* the gamepads in Gaming Options?

Well with gameport devices, that is the only way to do it; it does not get detected automatically. Only USB devices would add themselves when you plug it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts