Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Great news indeed :D I'm looking forward to playing this game on my DC, unfortunately I don't have the time for now. Let me know how good it is in terms of speed and sound.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Maybe we should make a general DC port topic (or change the title of this thread) so that we can update it with all the stuff Troy ports :p

GPF said:
This is a port of CloneKeen for the Sega Dreamcast.

CloneKeen is an almost almost complete open-source clone of
the old classic DOS game, Commander Keen: Invasion of the
Vorticons by ID Software. CloneKeen requires the original game
data files to work. You can play all three episodes of the game.

CloneKeen currently runs under win32, with SDL, and
under Linux/X11, with SDL.

and now the Dreamcast :)

* C L O N E K E E N *
* (c)2003-2005 Caitlin Shaw *
* Released under GNU/GPL *
* Beta 8.3 *
http://clonekeen.sourceforge.net/

check the readme.txt file for more information, Dreamcast version currently requires a keyboard.

Enjoy,
Troy(GPF)
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/CloneKeen.shtml

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Why not make another topic for DS homebrew stuff? If you'd post about that at emuforums I'm pretty sure there are members and lurkers who will appreciate the news. A homebrew scenes is what its members make of it ;)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't know how many DS homebrew users are around here; the Dreamcast needs no modification whatsoever to run homebrew, and has an advantage with that (actually call that THE advantage).
I was just lucky to already have the correct equipment to run WifiMe; after that it was a matter of getting the cheap GBAMP (cartridge that holds CompactFlash cards), flashing that and the DS itself... but not everyone has that.

The simplest thing possible actually isnt DS homebrew, but GBA - the gbamp by default (unmodded) can run a few emulators. Goomba and PocketNES have GBAMP specific adaptions, with memory swapping tricks to run the bigger roms. There's no GBAMP-specific version of Goomba_Color; besides, those roms are too large (the GBAMP just uses the GBA's internal 256kb memory; hey, there's a reason why it's so cheap!). This stuff works on either a GBA or a DS without modifications whatsoever. I love Goomba, because it runs all the GB Mono games that I used to have (never had a GBC; don't care much about it). Btw, the GBAMP by default is marketed as a movieplayer (gbaMP, duh!), but I don't give crap about that. Also, it's a cheap manufactured Chinese piece of crap that looks really ugly, but hey, it can do nice things ;)

However, then there's a way to make it run DS software from the GBA cartridgeslot, in a similar way. Advantage: In NDS mode you have 4MB memory instead of 256kb (note: if the NDS boots in GBA mode it just uses 256). That's not enough to run commercial NDS games on it, mind. If you want that, buy a more expensive flashcard or something (you want a PassMe with it too).
Anyway, modified GBAMP firmware makes it possible to run DS homebrew stuff (< 4 MB). Just put the hacked firmware on a CF card, run it in GBA mode.... ok, now the GBAMP can run DS stuff....but you can't boot in DS mode. You need WifiMe (or PassMe) for that. Hey, I had WifiMe. Put an app on the CF card, run WifiMe, and wow, it works. Not very handy though, needing a laptop around all the time to boot something. Well, one of these NDS homebrew apps can flash your firmware, so your DS can boot the GBAMP itself (in the tradition of WifiMe and PassMe, it's called FlashMe). Run WifiMe, flash the NDS, and hey, you don't need WifiMe anymore! w00t.
Additional advantage: FlashMe kills some protection, so you can run homebrew through WifiMe without needing a GBAMP! Sadly, you still need the GBAMP first to flash the DS....

As you can see, the problem is that you need either "X" to do "Y", or "Y" to do "X" whereas it'd be nicer if you just needed one ;) - the Dreamcast needs neither, which is even better :p

I could write a tutorial on what I did (what I just described is a little too brief ;) )...allthough there are tutorials enough about it...still, some people on the net asked me how I managed to run certain apps on the DS.....

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
That's exactly what I meant by saying that a homebrew scene is what its members make of it. I could sit in silence waiting for DC stuff to be released and enjoy what I get, or I can spread the news and get others interested in it. By posting such things at NGEmu you can reach a large group of potential DS homebrew fans :)

And if someone is really interested he will ask what is needed for his DS to run the stuff you are talking about and you might be able to explain how everything works.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
This topic made me download the shareware version of Jazz and play it on DosBox :eek:

Ah, memories..

Yours,
-E

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.