Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All I just wanted to ask you all is it possible to make a javascript emulator or javascript emulators in general and in private and is it hard to do in general and in private? thanks for listening and your time and patience!

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Yes, making emulators in javascript is possible.

A bit counter-intuitive though, as javascript cant execute native machine code or translate it (Java on the other hand could), thus why the platforms emulated are generally primitive old ones.

Heres an MSX emulator written in javascript (jMSX):
jsMSX - The first MSX emulator 100% written in Javascript

Amiga in javascript
www.chiptune.com

ZX spectrum in javascript (JSSpeccy):
matt.west.co.tt » Blog Archive » JSSpeccy: A ZX Spectrum emulator in Javascript
Very interesting actually, not something I would have really thought of as being possible. You learn something new everyday, I suppose.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hi All I just wanted to ask you all is it possible to make a javascript emulator or javascript emulators in general and in private and is it hard to do in general and in private? thanks for listening and your time and patience!
There is one. Nescafe, for the NES. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Oh, ok, so a smaller version of java, to use in webpages, right?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Java is an API (Virtual Machine)
Javascript is a Language.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh, ok, so a smaller version of java, to use in webpages, right?
Nope, they're unrelated.

JavaScript, despite the name, is essentially unrelated to the Java programming language, although both have the common C syntax, and JavaScript copies many Java names and naming conventions. The language's name is the result of a co-marketing deal between Netscape and Sun, in exchange for Netscape bundling Sun's Java runtime with their then-dominant browser. The key design principles within JavaScript are inherited from the Self and Scheme programming languages.
JavaScript - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 - 14 of 14 Posts