Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of use know that in the Japanese culture it is a tradition, or rule that you must take off your shoes while you are in your house, have you ever noticed that in video game the characters never take off their shoes before they enter a house, and as big as it is in japan you would think that they would...I know it's not very important but I thought that I would just throw that at you.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
Umm... my suggestions are:

- lazy programmers
- non-Japanese environments
- insufficient Hardware resources

... you seem to be very bored sometimes...

·
Registered
77 Posts
They did in Shenmue, when you went home he takes his shoes off before he goes in.......atleast I think he did :)

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Most Japanese games aren't set in Japan. Taking shoes off and on thusly isn't a big deal. Just because the characters pretty much all look Japanese doesn't mean they have to act that way too. :p Also chalk it up to being too common - it's just like you never see characters use the bathroom. Sure they do, but unless there's some awesome plot reason for such a scene, you'd think they were constipated for months on end.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
considering the fact that characters generally don't even knock before entering someone's house, i think the owners will be able to overlook the lack of taking shoes off.

S

·
0 Posts
Ryos said:
Most Japanese games aren't set in Japan. Taking shoes off and on thusly isn't a big deal. Just because the characters pretty much all look Japanese doesn't mean they have to act that way too. :p Also chalk it up to being too common - it's just like you never see characters use the bathroom. Sure they do, but unless there's some awesome plot reason for such a scene, you'd think they were constipated for months on end.
actually, female characters do tend to shower a lot. male's never do. I really wonder why that is...

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Exodus said:
considering the fact that characters generally don't even knock before entering someone's house, i think the owners will be able to overlook the lack of taking shoes off.
I once played a game where the protagonist knocked on every door. It was really frustrating having a text say it wouldn't open at a lot of the doors....

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Samor said:
actually, female characters do tend to shower a lot. male's never do. I really wonder why that is...
Gee, I can't imagine why in a medium enjoyed by a vastly male audience that shower scenes of female characters get shown a lot and male characters...um...never clean themselves (actually, I can think of ONE series that does show males in some such position, but I think it was mostly as a joke rather than a point). :p That's actually easier to explain than the shoes. ;)

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
I once played a game where the protagonist knocked on every door. It was really frustrating having a text say it wouldn't open at a lot of the doors....
yeah, i think i have too. might even be the same game, but i can't remember where its from.

·
Registered
774 Posts
That happened a lot in Shenmue 2. Roughly, 90% of the doors in that game didn't go anywhere, but you could still knock on them to check.

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
It was even worse in Shenmue I, you could stalk people back to their houses then as soon as they enter you could knocked the door just to find that nobody would answer...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well it's just a game. The reason you take off your shoes in the house is so that you keep the floor clean. In a video game you don't need to worry about that.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Kaiser Sigma said:
It was even worse in Shenmue I, you could stalk people back to their houses then as soon as they enter you could knocked the door just to find that nobody would answer...
Would you answer the knock of a male stalker? :p

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Cid Highwind said:
Would you answer the knock of a male stalker? :p
After having played both Shenmues (and after having seen how Ryo reacts to women who try to hit on him) I've come to the conclusion that he is an eunuch... so I doubt that people perceive him as a threat ;p

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
If you're sneaking into someone's house and there's mud on your shoes... it'd be a good idea to take them off, I can think of many games where there should have been mud marks on the floor.... I guess they need better physics engines, before the characters are requirred to take of their shoes. :O

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Sorry Kaiser, didn't read your reply, I don't want to read any spoilers about this game ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts