Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard a few Suffix to Japanese names which I don't know and would think the rest of you anime freaks may be able to help me with. Here goes:

-han
-chan
-san
-kun
-sempai
-sama

?!
:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
I think -San is more formal.. So you use it for people you just met or don't know too well.. -Chan if more casual.. Use for people you know like your girlfriend or someone close like friends.. Thats all I learned from one semester of Japanese.. Oh and I also learned how to say "whats your name?" in japanese.. And "whats that?".. "yes and no".. "my name is" pretty much low level stuff... Oh yea, and "hello"

annatta no donata des ka?
Hajimemashite..
Hi.. ee..
kore wa des ka?
sore wa?
dore wa?

I have forgotten what "dozo yorushiku" means.. Anyone know? I think it means thank your or something.. Not too sure though.. Or is it "your welcome".

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
okay....

-han --> used by people with an Osaka accent :p same meaning as "-san"

-chan --> like i said before, used towards girls to which you are intimate with, or close to. you know what i mean. :D

-san --> formal way to address people. You can't go wrong here. :D

--kun -->used by people to address guys younger than them. Also used by girls who have close guy friends

-sempai --> literally means senior, as in Bgnome-sempai or Bobbi-sempai :)

-sama-->literally means "master", but also used by girls who has a crush on a guy. that's what they add at the end of his name.

i hope that helps. :) BTW, that's a nice new avatar. is she your girlfriend? :D :D :D

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
oh, and "dozo yoroshiku" literally means "no problem"...yeah, kinda like "You're Welcome" :)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Originally posted by Shiori Fujisaki

i hope that helps. :) BTW, that's a nice new avatar. is she your girlfriend? :D :D :D
Yeah, I wish! It's Su-chan's seiyuu. I wish I knew ANYONE who was Japanese that lives in Tucson...

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Originally posted by Gam3rX
yup , but 'dozo yoroshiku' is literally more like 'please give favour to me'
yup, it's the yoroshiku part that's making it complicated. :D but it's kinda easier to understand "you're welcome" for us english speakers. :D especially whan we have to look at subtitles. :D

oh, and how come there aren't any nihon-jin in Tucson? there are some, although they'd prolly be classified as either tourists or retirees. :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
and btw, how do you addresses japanese names?
ie if the name is ayanami rei,what should i call him if i just know her by the name and if i'm close to her?

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
if you're close to her, hold her hand and say, "Ayanami-chan" :p although i can't imagine Shinji doing that. :p

if she's just an acquaintance, the "-san" suffix or the "-sempai" suffix (provided he/she's more senior than you) will do. :)

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
yeah,

"-gumi" and "-tachi" is added to names of groups.

Ex. Hanagumi (Flower group)

Patapi-tachi (patapi-group)

i think they can be used interchangeably. :)

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
why, YES! :D go play Tokimeki Memorial :D

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
yes, it is a "dating game" of some sort...however, in this case it'll take you 4 years to accomplish it. :)

btw, there's a translation project going on for TM. it's only 14% complete, though. :( the script dump is huge! over 850KB!

·
Registered
356 Posts
OOPS! look what I wrote earlier
"Maybe because all text aren't PURE text, there are graphics..."

I hope nobody didin't look that... :)
Yes that's lot's of text to translate...
and japanese text are more COMPRESSED I think...
with all those characters...
...BTW how much Star Ocean got text... is all that size
gone for graphics and speech?

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
no, it's pure text. :eyes:

and yes, there is already Tokimemo 3 slated for a summer 2002 release for PS2. :D

nothing short of a comet crashing to the Earth would stop me from getting this game. :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts