Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the one-year anniversary of Jack Thompson's permanent disbarment and to celebrate the occasion, the disgraced former attorney has announced his imminent return to the practice of law.

It's been awhile since we've had any news from Thompson, the game-hating ex-lawyer who was permanently disbarred by the Florida Supreme Court for his crazy antics and gross misconduct both in and out of the courtroom. While he fought loud and long against the decision, he was ultimately forced to throw in the towel. Or so we thought.

But now, after several months of relative silence, he's back! Thompson sent an email to GamePolitics last week in which he claimed that, thanks to a technical error, he was never actually disbarred at all. "The Florida Supreme Court, in violation of the laws of Florida assigned to Thompson's case a referee from Florida's Eleventh Judicial Circuit, rather than from the state's Second Judicial Circuit, where he would have received a fair trial. Bar counsel hid this fatal defect not only from Thompson but from the Florida Supreme Court as well," he wrote. "What this means is that Thompson literally was never disbarred."

As a result, Thompson said he's going to re-hang his shingle on October 1 and has actually dared Mary Ellen Bateman, who's responsible for prosecuting the "unlicensed practice of law" on behalf of the Florida Supreme Court, to try to stop him. "Unless she acts, he's back in business," he continued, "and the children of this country will have returned to them the lawyerly labors of a man who... forced Take-Two, along with Senator Hillary Clinton to recall all copies worldwide of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, which cost Take-Two tens of millions of dollars."

I have absolutely no idea if Thompson's argument has any merit to it, but given his near-delusional behavior as his law career went up in smoke, I rather doubt it. Furthermore, GamePolitics said it asked "a few members of the legal community" to have a look at his argument and the general consensus is that Thompson "doesn't really have a leg to stand on."

It's less a question of the merits of his argument, then, and more a bet on whether Thompson just goes ahead and starts playing lawyer again anyway - and what will happen if he does. My inclination, based on his many past promises to rain down fire and destruction which ultimately came to naught, is that October 1 will pass quietly; but you better believe I'll be watching, just in case.
source

on c**p, hes back.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
*grabs popcorn and starts reading*

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If he does come back, he would have made a fool of the entire american justice system, and i dont think they will take that one lying down.

yet again stranger things have happend.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boom
headshot
knowing our luck he will come back as a zombie (ok super invonrable zombie, but zombie none the less)

zombie jack thomson.

hmmm

"GAMES!! GAMES!!! VIOLENT GAMES!!!!, can i have some brains with that"

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
OMG, should've seen this coming... USA, you can do anything as long as there's a loophole in the law for it!:lol:

And another thing that made me laugh was one of the high ranking buddhist monks who actually said that to him violent video games are like therapy that let's him take out frustration on games and not to the real world...

·
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
1,201 Posts
honestly I think this lawyer gay whatchama call it has been abused by his parents when
he was little, they never bought him Atari 2600 while all the other kids owned one, this
instantiated a psychological problem known as Vidigameaphobia *, eventually it will lead
him to suicide.

Vidigameaphobia definition:
This could range from just being plain scared of the games (don't get us started on "Frogger") to fearing that the video game might come to life. (Again, don't get us started on "Frogger.") If you have "Tetris" nightmares where big colorful blocks fall on you from the sky, see your doctor now.

·
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
1,201 Posts
^ damn! Once I watched Titanic when it was released I asked my friends if there will
be part 2 (as a joke), never seen that one coming :dead:

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YAGHHHHH HES BACK

Former lawyer Jack Thompson has sued Facebook for allowing anti-Thompson groups to post messages that have caused him "great harm and distress."

Thompson was permanently disbarred in September 2008 but that didn't stop his vocal criticism of the videogame industry, nor did it soften the attitude of videogamers toward Thompson and his strident rhetoric, many of whom have come together in Facebook groups to share their frustration with his antics. But Thompson says he feels threatened by some of the messages posted by those groups and on Tuesday, he filed suit against Facebook for letting it happen.

There are hundreds of Thompson-related Facebook groups, according to SFGate.com; one potentially dangerous group that's mentioned in his suit is named "Jack Thompson should be smacked across the face with an Atari 2600." He also cited a message posted by a user who offered to pay $50 to anyone who sent him a video of themselves punching Thompson in the face.

He said his situation is similar to that of U.S. President Barack Obama, who was recently the subject of another Facebook controversy caused by a poll asking whether or not he should be shot. Facebook administrators quickly removed the poll but as Thompson noted, "Unlike our President, Thompson does not have the Secret Service to protect him."

But Thompson's suit against Facebook, like most of his others, has little chance of going anywhere, according to WiredSafety.org Executive Director Parry Aftab, who noted that the U.S. Communications Decency Act exempts services like Facebook from liability for what people do with them. "They are no more liable than the phone company would be for anyone who is calling in a ransom demand," she said.

Regardless of the legal merits of his case, however, this isn't the sort of attention gamers need. It may seem like a joke to anyone familiar with Thompson (although in the case of the $50 face-punch bounty, it's hard to say there's not some measure of seriousness involved) but to those on the outside looking in, it can appear more serious. Would anyone ever smack Thompson across the face with an Atari 2600? Of course not. (Those things cost money, you know.) But without context, it looks like a threat; and we, the gamers, end up looking like juvenile idiots or, worse, the violent psychos Thompson has worked so hard to make us out to be. Thompson never learned how to tone it down and it cost him his career. We don't need to make the same mistake.
source

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now the mother****ers crossed the line.

Squall, get the BOOM STICKS AND THE PEW PEW LAZERS.
carefull now he may take that as a threat and start suing./sarcasum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.