Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've installed XP on this old computer before, but now when I start the install and I get to the setup is starting windows screen I get a BSOD, 0x000007B (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE)

I don't understand why this happens. I've tried a few XP discs and even an 2000 disc with the same result.

I've tried putting a new harddisk in, switching the drives to different IDE channels, etc. I don't understand what's causing this. Anyone have some insite?

I already have XP installed and it boots fine, so I doubt it's a HDD issue - I've done a few tests on the disks and they don't report any issues..

Intel Celeron 600MHz
192MB PC133 RAM
GeForce FX5200 PCI
20GB HDD (Also tried 80GB HDD)
SoundBlaster Audio....
etc

· No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Some of the older motherboards have a faulty MBR protection setting that is often just called 'Virus Protection' in BIOS. It's supposed to prevent viruses from modifying a HDDs MBR, but some BIOS will protect it against OS installers too. Try disabling it.

Other than that, are there any other HDDs connected (including external USB)? You may have to disconnect everything except the CDROM and the HDD you wish to install it on. As far as I know, the XP installer checks every potentially bootable drive and reads its MBR to check for other OSes, to include previous XP installs. It may me trying to read the MBR of another HDD with a damaged MBR.

· Premium Member
2,657 Posts
Some motherboards have options to not allow writes to the boot sectors of the attached storage devices. That's a countermeasure against viruses or any sort of unwanted boot sector deletion.

Just enter the motherboard BIOS configuration menu and disable the related option.

· Banned
35,081 Posts
normally it throws up an prompt though :\

got this error a few times, usually the only way out is a format with fresh install.

· Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
You're installing XP on a 600mhz Celeron with 192mb of ram?

...ARE YOU INSANE? Sir have you ever been accustomed to the beauty of the OS known as Debian?
I'll have you know, sir. I'm using a version of Debian on my old Vaio; with lower specs than your computer, sir.

· Registered
13,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're installing XP on a 600mhz Celeron with 192mb of ram?

...ARE YOU INSANE? Sir have you ever been accustomed to the beauty of the OS known as Debian?
I'll have you know, sir. I'm using a version of Debian on my old Vaio; with lower specs than your computer, sir.
Yes, I already have a slimmed down XP installed on it and it works great. I just want to install an even more-slim version.

My experiences with linux have been awful.

My BIOS settings have no MBR Virus protection crap, but I fixed the problem by disconnecting my USB keyboard and connecting a PS/2 one. How these were related? I dunno, but oh well.

· No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
My BIOS settings have no MBR Virus protection crap, but I fixed the problem by disconnecting my USB keyboard and connecting a PS/2 one. How these were related? I dunno, but oh well.
Wow, that's weird. :/ I'll have to remember that one.

· Registered
13,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt it's the same issue because one the OS is installed, the problem goes away.

It may be a Windows Setup specific issue, but I don't really know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.